Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-31-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Recall for Spiral Cable

It says there is a spiral cable inside the steering wheel that can be damaged when the steering wheel turns. This cable is hooked up to the airbag and the airbag wont work if the cable is damaged.

The recall goes on to say check your airbag warning light frequently and if the light goes on, you might have damage.

The necessary parts ARENT READY YET to fix the problem! So I guess its a moot point if its broken!

Also, if the airbag DOES go off its uber expensive to fix it. Im statistically unlikely to have an accident like that so maybe Im better off?
Old 05-31-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
It says there is a spiral cable inside the steering wheel that can be damaged when the steering wheel turns. This cable is hooked up to the airbag and the airbag wont work if the cable is damaged.

The recall goes on to say check your airbag warning light frequently and if the light goes on, you might have damage.

The necessary parts ARENT READY YET to fix the problem! So I guess its a moot point if its broken!

Also, if the airbag DOES go off its uber expensive to fix it. Im statistically unlikely to have an accident like that so maybe Im better off?
. Toyota should have addressed this long ago. My airbag light only started lighting up and staying on for any period of time a few weeks ago......for Astroman, this started over 5 years ago.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
bronsin

I think whats happened to GM is having a big influence over all the car manufacturers.

I think its all overdone but then theres what happened to my 2001 BMW F650 Dakar with fuel injection. Mine would stall when coming up to a stop, a common problem. We fought like hell to have a recall but nothing was ever done. It was under warranty and BMW had three tries and couldn't fix it.

It bad enough to have a car that stalls but its worse with a motorcycle.

Yet nothing was ever done.

Strange they have to have recalls. Why done they just do the right thing and fix cars as problems occur?
Old 06-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
i've had the airbag light on for some time now. did the 'trick' with the paperclip and found the code of flashing lights on the dash related to the steering column. went to the dealership after getting the recall and, sure enough, it was the recalled problem. they claim that i was the first one they seen come in with this specific recall and they don't actually have the 'fix' yet. what they did was put a brand-new replacement in to take the light off. they will call me when they have the fix(or so i hope!).
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:56 AM   #5
bronsin

A whole new airbag?
Old 06-04-2014, 12:57 AM   #6
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
sorry, i'm not sure. all i know is they say they put in a new replacement part(which is admitted to be defective) and will call me when the fixed part is available in the dealership. they say my airbags will go off as designed now so long as the light doesn't come back on.

in retrospec i probably should have gotten some paperwork or something. they called towards the end of the day and said everything was fixed and the keys were in the car so i could pick-up at my convenience. they told me at write-up about not having the actual 'fixed' part in stock yet, but would call me when those come in. i'm hoping they didn't just disable the light or something!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I'm thinking of going aftermarket wheel anyways. airbags are for sissies!

trunkout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:47 PM   #8
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
Is there any online link to this particular recall? I am interested in further reading.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Type in your VIN Number on this link:
http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pag...ources/recalls

It will give you all the recalls still open on your Yaris.
You can then pick the recall you are interested in and get more details.
Mine has both the Spiral Cable and the springs that can break in the seat mechanisms.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #10
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
BLH, thanks for the info!

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Recall has been expanded.....trending #2 on Yahoo! a few minutes ago.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?cs=b...=fp-tts&fr2=ps
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
any more info on this and exactly what is involved in the repair?
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
They disconnect battery, remove steering wheel, replace spiral cable and put it back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #14
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Just for complete accuracy, the spiral cable assembly isn't entirely in the steering wheel - it sits on the head of the steering column right under the wheel with some wiring protruding through and connected to the wheel to operate the airbag, horn and cruise control. As the wheel turns, the wiring winds in either direction to maintain these connections.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #15
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Exactly what is involved in removing the wheel?

I have a tach mounted on the shroud and I assume that I would have to remove it.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #16
tl1000s

Drives: None yet
If you have the recall done, be sure to check the steering wheel before driving away from the dealership. My was misinstalled and is now pointing about 10 degrees to the left. I didn't notice it until after I got home, which means another trip back to get it fixed. Doh!
tl1000s is offline   Reply With Quote