Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #19
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
It's the one that's directly behind the transmission. I was looking under the car more this morning, I find it hard to believe something could easily get up in there at the boot. Under the boot directly is part of the car frame and looks like it protects it pretty well, it's definately not exposed out in the open. Well at any rate, I have an appointment Tuesday morning and they already pre-ordered the part, so I'm guessing at the least they are going to go ahead and do the replacement because they don't want a p.o'ed customer.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:10 AM   #20
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
I am shocked that the front axels are $500 a piece, that is a Bavarian price, what the heck is going on. This is a common replaced part on any car, makes me seriously reconsider owning a Yaris.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #21
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I am shocked that the front axels are $500 a piece, that is a Bavarian price, what the heck is going on. This is a common replaced part on any car, makes me seriously reconsider owning a Yaris.
When I was looking for a replacement axle for Crashy, I checked with a couple of auto parts places and they all said that there was not an aftermarket axle out yet, so purchasing from the dealer was the only choice. The local Napa parts store (where I purchased axles for my Subaru for $80 each) said that once aftermarket ones are available they typically sell for 1/4 the price of the OEM ones. I went the eBay route and got a low mileage, complete axle for $50 + $15 shipping.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #22
corolla 3tc

Drives: 2020 Yaris Le Liftback
With a car only two years old I would try not to go the spit boot route but that being said over the years with older vehicles I have had good luck with the bolt together split boot. The glue together ones, not a ounce of luck there.
I'm also shocked to discover how expensive the axle assemblies are. Over the years I have replaced them in a few different vehicles ( Plymouth, Vw and Toyota) and they were all priced reasonably. Here's hoping the cost comes down.
corolla 3tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #23
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Just saw a few posts were made in the thread.

Well long story short, the dealership didn't cover the boot or anything, I had to pay for it. But they lowered the price pretty well on the parts and labor. So to install the boot, the cost of the boot and everything else, it came out to $180. I guess it's relatively cheap considering how much labor costs. It was worth paying so I didn't have to do it myself and for a piece of mind of having it fixed for the snow and ice coming soon.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #24
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I think you got a good deal on that, given it was from a dealer!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #25
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
That's already a given. They would probably cry if it was TRD springs and shocks too.
Car is not even 2 years old and already a problem like this. Not so sure I'll be buying a Toyota again. A new one anyways.
I believe i did a similar thing at 13k miles.... while they were doing a free oil change they said there was a leak of some sort... took it to the service dept the next day, and they called it an "axle seal", but it went bad and sprayed oil/grease all up the firewall i guess.

Bone stock yaris.... I believe it happened on a logging road when camping... there was a ditch in the road... bout 6inches wide... and 4-6 deep.... I was doing 40 and didn't see it till the last second... Hit it pretty hard. Thats the only thing I can think of that caused my issue. Haven't had a problem since... the fix was pretty fast... think it took the shop less than an hour. They also fixed it for free.

I'd go back and complain ... unless you are past the 3yr/36month timeframe
Old 10-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #26
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
glad it is fixed...

cv shafts are a piece of cake to replace, and they are cheap. the best fix
is to pull the axle and install a new one, or as a minimum, a new boot and fresh grease
after disassembly

if you modded the Yaris warranty will not cover the boots. the boots WILL rip
if you change the ride height from stock. if you didn't raise or lower the Yaris
then there is no practical reason they ripped.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:45 AM   #27
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Watch your tire wear pattern. If it becomes uneven, you'll need to realign.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote