Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #19
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Thanks for that correction, SilkySmooth. I didn't read the TSB. It's been referenced on here several times as OK'ing 5W-20, and I repeated what I'd read.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #20
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
The TSB SPECIFICALLY LISTS engines that CAN use 5W-20 as genuine Toyota oil moved in this direction. The NZ series is listed. It dosn't say you have to use it.

Mine purrs on 5W-20-no noise issues at all-not that sound has much to do with it.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #21
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Well, when Toyota gets serious enough to move the 5w30 off of the oil cap & manual and replace it with the words 5w20 I'll get serious about the TSB. And if oil doesn't qualify as a sound issue with a motor I don't know what does.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #22
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Well they haven't taken the GF-3 off the cap either-and GF-3 has been obsolete for many years

My point about the sound is that thicker oils tend to dampen noise better than lighter oils but it is not necessarily an indicator of increased wear. Oils of the same viscosity can also exhibit differences in sound dampening depending on how they are formulated.

At any rate I think the intention of the TSB is quite clear and the NZ series is plainly listed in the 5W-20 column. Warranty wise GF-4 in either 5W-20 or 5W-30 would be fine. I'll try to get Toyota's official take on this next week to clear up the confusion.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Old 08-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #23
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
... Tried 5w-20, went around the block, and the engine was so noisy I thought it would explode before I got it back home.
This is such a crock.....clearly you must have had no oil in the car if this happened.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #24
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Well they haven't taken the GF-3 off the cap either-and GF-3 has been obsolete for many years

My point about the sound is that thicker oils tend to dampen noise better than lighter oils but it is not necessarily an indicator of increased wear. Oils of the same viscosity can also exhibit differences in sound dampening depending on how they are formulated.

At any rate I think the intention of the TSB is quite clear and the NZ series is plainly listed in the 5W-20 column. Warranty wise GF-4 in either 5W-20 or 5W-30 would be fine. I'll try to get Toyota's official take on this next week to clear up the confusion.

R2
I think it's clear that companies like Ford and Honda have been recommending 5w20 for many years, not just in a TSB, but in their manuals, on their caps and hood labels, so no confusion there.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 08-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #25
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
+1 on this comment. Tried 5w-20, went around the block, and the engine was so noisy I thought it would explode before I got it back home.
Well, I know you're certainly not the first member here that went back to 5w30 after trying 5w20, stating that more noise was noticed with a 5w20 fill.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 08-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #26
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
I think it's clear that companies like Ford and Honda have been recommending 5w20 for many years, not just in a TSB, but in their manuals, on their caps and hood labels, so no confusion there.
Yes and it would be nice if Toyota would be a little more clear about it-when you buy a 2009 model that still specs GF-3 YEARS after you release a TSB recommending the current spec oil who wouldn't expect some consumer confusion. Plus they are screwing themselves CAFE wise.

R2
-The Fitful One

Old 08-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #27
DerFlosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
Well, I know you're certainly not the first member here that went back to 5w30 after trying 5w20, stating that more noise was noticed with a 5w20 fill.
I'll be changing the oil in 2 weeks and I'll let you know if there is any audible difference. I am guessing that there will be zero.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #28
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerFlosser View Post
I'll be changing the oil in 2 weeks and I'll let you know if there is any audible difference. I am guessing that there will be zero.
I'll just go by what you and other members say. Some notice a difference, some say no change. I myself don't know about the NZ because I've always stuck with the 5w30 so far.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 08-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #29
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
if i can find it cheap i'll get with the 20, otherwise i'll get 30.

i had no idea that this would spark a huge debate. i was just wondering about the 0w. i notice it pours like water and is very thin, but then again it's supposed to be. it has anti-bubbling agents and wear protectors in it just like the 30, it has the winter additives just like the 30, but it's just a little thinner at temp.

my main thing was the 0w. so my question has been answered and i appreciate the comments
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #30
DerFlosser

so were you considering 0w-30 or 5w-20 or 0w-20?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #31
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I just picked up some of the 0w-30 and will keep an eye on the mileage to see if it improves.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #32
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

So I called Toyota customer service today and got the mantra about "use what it says on the oil cap"-and got the same from the dealer. Both seemed unaware of the TSB and neither seemed to know why a 2009 MY vehicle would still be specing ILSAC GF-3 and API SL via oil cap. (Neither even appeared to know what to heck I was talking about for that matter).
That TSB is one confusion causing document judging by the similar discussions I've seen elsewhere on the net. I guess the only for sure is to use the 5W-30 at this point.

R2
-The Fitful One

Old 08-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #33
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

As for oil specifications, there have been a few exceptions in recent years, but the normal presumption has been that successive specifications cover earlier ones, so "GF-3 or better" is how I'd read that. My oil caps don't mention anything except 5W-30.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #34
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Yep I agree Yaris-I just don't get the bugle blowing about GF-4 in the TSB then leaving GF-3 on the cap 2 model years afterward.
-The Fitful One

Old 08-25-2009, 07:47 AM   #35
DerFlosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
...I guess the only for sure is to use the 5W-30 at this point.

R2
I assume that you state this as "matter of fact" or are you planning to switch back.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #36
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Jeepers - the TSB says AT THE TOP IN RED OUTLINED BOX NOTICE: ' use the grade that is on your fill cap and in your manual' how more CLEAR do you want? So you just put in a lower grade that can DAMAGE you engine? Even the owners manual recommend THICKER oil for high speed highway and other severe operating conditions to properly lubricate the engine. Going DOWN a grade puts you into - spin a bearing, collapse a skirt territiory. The Title of the TSB is not "substituting 5w-20 for Toyota Engines" its, "ILSAC GF4 Engine Oil Recomendation" - but like we have a choice to buy GF3. Terrible, confusing TSB, toyota better get their act together!

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 08-25-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: addd more
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote