Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Increasing head lights output (full LED setup)

Yesterday I received and installed the Novsight H4 LED bulbs (60w/10 000lm/pair) and the Morimoto XB LED foglights (18w/2400lm/pair) on my '07 HB. I already had Phillips 194 LED bulbs in the parking lights, two 9w "rock light" pods and two 30w LED spot bars in the lower grill. Wired the parking lights as my DRL, the LED bar with the high beam and the fog with the low beam. Pods come on with tail lights.

Light output with high quality H4 halogen was still very bad, so I was looking for ways to improve the usable light output of the car without going through a projector retrofit and expensive HID, which was my last resort if the new lights weren't gonna cut it.

I'm happy to report that the Morimoto foglights are badass and really do light up the road ahead with a very nice slim and wide beam that stays on the ground and fill in the lack of ground light from the headlights. The H4 LED has a very similar cutoff as the halogen but with much more light produced and doesn't blind despite a little more intense spills.

Now I don't feel like I'm driving with the lights off anymore, which was how I often felt with the halogen (and no fog). Driving in country roads this weekend with the washout grey pavement and lots of sneaky hills and turns even the high beams were a joke. Lucky I had the LED bars installed already, because the headlights were just not lighting up the road right in front to be safe to drive at night. On the flat highway it was okay, the road being more reflective and open, but still wasn't as good as it should be.

Here you can see the beam of the foglight, it's really wide and slim, keeps all the light on the ground where you want it.

I'll get more pictures of the full light setup and beams/cutoff soon.

IMG_2329.JPG
David C is offline   Reply With Quote