Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
xtremesniper

Drives: 2009 Yaris HB RS
Driving on the highway seems like I'm stressing the car

Hey guys, just a quick question about highway driving.

When I'm driving on the highway, it's pretty normal for me to be going 120KM/h steady for fairly long periods of time. Sometimes when going downhill, this number might go up to 130KM/h or even sometimes (though not too often) 140KM/h.

I notice that the engine gets pretty loud at these speeds, and sounds like it's running at a pretty high rev. Sure enough, taking a look at the tach tells me that it's running anywhere between 3000-3500 rpms, constant.

Is it safe to be stressing the car out like this on a daily basis? (going to and from work).
xtremesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
xtremesniper

Haha well actually I'm just going with the flow. If I go 100KM/h I'm confident I would be rear ended 8 times before I manage to come to a stop on the side of the road. =P
Old 08-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremesniper View Post
Haha well actually I'm just going with the flow. If I go 100KM/h I'm confident I would be rear ended 8 times before I manage to come to a stop on the side of the road. =P
You would be pleasantly surprised at how traffic parts around you when you do the speed limit in the slow lane. You will become even calmer when you realize that it doesn't matter what other drivers think as long as you have the law on your side.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
3000-3500 rpm is nowhere near 'stress'.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Yeah, I cruise around at 55 mph. If someone is truly in a hurry, they will switch lanes.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:02 AM   #6
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Just mount a couple Domos to the back of your rear headrests to fend off tailgaters

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:43 AM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Might as well throw in a Pedo Bear while you're at it. That'll keep everyone away
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
xtremesniper

Haha I think I might consider the pedo bear...

However, it's not really an issue going that fast because I'm completely comfortable doing it. In fact, when the entire highway is going faster than speed limit, people who go exactly 100KM/h (or even less) sick out like sore thumbs, and cause people to switch lanes to go around, which as we all know increases your chances of getting into an accident by a lot.

Plus, in Toronto at least, nobody uses the proper lanes for what they're meant for. Sometimes the far right lane IS the passing lane as a blockade of slow moving cars (or trucks) make it impossible to pass on the left.

But anyways, back on topic, a constant 3500 rpm isn't stress? It just sounds like it to me, but hey, that's why I'm on here asking. ;)
Old 08-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
You would be pleasantly surprised at how traffic parts around you when you do the speed limit in the slow lane. You will become even calmer when you realize that it doesn't matter what other drivers think as long as you have the law on your side.
Clearly you've not familiar with driving in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).
It's SPECIAL.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Haha I think I might consider the pedo bear...

However, it's not really an issue going that fast because I'm completely comfortable doing it. In fact, when the entire highway is going faster than speed limit, people who go exactly 100KM/h (or even less) sick out like sore thumbs, and cause people to switch lanes to go around, which as we all know increases your chances of getting into an accident by a lot.

Plus, in Toronto at least, nobody uses the proper lanes for what they're meant for. Sometimes the far right lane IS the passing lane as a blockade of slow moving cars (or trucks) make it impossible to pass on the left.

But anyways, back on topic, a constant 3500 rpm isn't stress? It just sounds like it to me, but hey, that's why I'm on here asking. ;)

Not to worry. I recently drove from Burlington to Regina via the US route. Speed limits are 75 mph through ND and traffic flows at 85 mph. It was "exciting" to say the least for the first hour but my sedan cruised nicely at 85 mph (135-140 kph) for hours on end. The apparent lack of traffic (compared to the GTA) was a pleasant surprise. And folks stay right so I could run the cruise control, passing when necessary, at 85 mph for looooooong periods without interuption.
Man it's nice to be able to cover some ground, so unlike the perpetual gridlock around Southern Ontario.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
xtremesniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Not to worry. I recently drove from Burlington to Regina via the US route. Speed limits are 75 mph through ND and traffic flows at 85 mph. It was "exciting" to say the least for the first hour but my sedan cruised nicely at 85 mph (135-140 kph) for hours on end. The apparent lack of traffic (compared to the GTA) was a pleasant surprise. And folks stay right so I could run the cruise control, passing when necessary, at 85 mph for looooooong periods without interuption.
Man it's nice to be able to cover some ground, so unlike the perpetual gridlock around Southern Ontario.
Good to hear, thanks for that.

Definitely agreed on the GTA traffic, though I don't think it's too different from what people would experience in other big cities around the States like New York or LA. Most people still generally are nice enough to let you merge here, and I don't know of too many incidents where fingers had to be raised at other drivers. So I think we're probably not even as bad, except when compared to smaller towns. The main reason for the "getting nowhere any time soon" problem is due to the lack of proper infrastructure for both cars and transit. Most people have no viable alternate method of transportation.

I think in general my biggest issue on the roads is people not following the basic rules of the road, like signaling when changing lanes, driving at least speed limit (hate people who go 50-60 in a 70), actually stopping at stop signs and not just slowing down to 20 and then rolling through, and even something as basic as staying in your own lane. I think those problems are mainly due to people talking on cell phones, being elderly, or being "too cool" for the rules.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
You would be pleasantly surprised at how traffic parts around you when you do the speed limit in the slow lane.
How are you in the slow lane if traffic is passing you on both sides
And the car wont be stressed at anything under 6000rpm in fact if you drive around all the time at low rpm:s you could be inducing carbon and sludge build up in your engine.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
This may sound flippant, but I say again that it isn't your problem. As long as you are doing the right thing and following the laws and regulations it matters not one whit if anyone else doesn't like it. They are free to petition the appropriate government entity for a modification or repeal of the laws and regulations that they don't like, or for more active enforcement of the ones that they prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How are you in the slow lane if traffic is passing you on both sides
They're called highway exits, or off ramps, and there are also merging lanes.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
xtremesniper

Quote:
This may sound flippant, but I say again that it isn't your problem. As long as you are doing the right thing and following the laws and regulations it matters not one whit if anyone else doesn't like it. They are free to petition the appropriate government entity for a modification or repeal of the laws and regulations that they don't like, or for more active enforcement of the ones that they prefer.

They're called highway exits, or off ramps, and there are also merging lanes.
I agree with you, but keep in mind that in Canada (at least the part of Canada that I live in) the speed limit on highways is 100KM/h, which equates to about 62mph. It's slow, and almost no one goes at that speed. Law abiding or not, I think going that slow on the highway is actually much more dangerous than "breaking" the law (which I put in quotations because no one gets ticketed for going 120, as it is the implied norm). The absolute max over any speed limit you can travel in Ontario is 50KM/h over, which would equate to 93mph on the highways. At that speed, you get your car impounded and your license revoked for at least a week.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
and up to 10000$ fine.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #16
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Took a 3400 mile round trip in the Yaris several weeks ago. Running mostly 75mph the whole time. Yes the engine revs high, but I experienced no signs of stress and still managed to get good mileage even with the AC on most of the way. You have nothing to worry about.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #17
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
It's been almost a year since I drove my car up to 95mph one friday night when I had an 8hr drive once I got off work. I don't remember any "stressed" type sound. You might want to check your oil level ....just in case. If by some freak accident you are running a quart or two low it should make more noise than usual, and put a hell of a lot more stress on the engine.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #18
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
i'm pretty sure, at least in california, that one of the laws IS to keep up with the flow of traffic...posted 65mph signs are for ideal conditions but, if the flow is 80mph, than in order to avoid being an obstruction, u should be going 80mph...on the flip side, if conditions are hard rain and everyone is moving at 50mph, then at that moment, the speed limit is 50mph...i drive an average of 80mph on all highways i use in my area and have been passed by highway patrol many times at those speeds...faster than the flow (and slower than the flow) disrupt the flow and in my humble opinion, is more dangerous than keeping pace...i honestly can't stand it when people feel like they're in their own bubble on the road...i don't agree with getting into wolf packs, proper spacing is crucial but, in my experience driving in your own bubble leads to decision making that can negatively affect the larger body of traffic...we need to be aware of each other, even if that means losing a few mpg, so i myself can totally understand what sniper is saying...need i even mention the 'person going 55 in the carpool' scenario?...we all know what kinds of problems that creates...

as for stress on the yaris, i must admit that i would prefer a bit less sound from the engine at 80mph (which makes the thought of a 6th gear, as mentioned in another thread, a nice idea) but, i understand that these engines are built for high revs so, i know i'm not doing any damage at a sustained 3500 rpm...
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote