Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
LED License plate lights for Yaris Sedan

So I installed some LED license plate lights over the weekend. Should have took a few more pictures during the process. They turned out a LOT brighter than I expected. I think a little too bright. If it get hassled by cops time will tell.

This is the kit I used. It is made for the toyota corolla. The connectors however are the same used in the yaris so for the most part its plug and play. The size is smaller than our car so slight customization is needed to make it work and keep the water tight seal still.

First step you have to remove the inner cover lining inside the trunk. (forgot to take a picture) but you will see what I mean when you open your trunk there are roughly about 10 black plastic clips that hold it in place. If you dont have a clip remover some needle nose pliers or a old fork works well getting under them to pop them off.

Next you will see 4 10mm bolts holding the trim around the lights in place. Unscrew all 4. When you remove the 2 that hold the lock gently pull it off and let it hang to the side careful not to brake the plastic clip that holds the rod.

On the 2 outer corners there are white plastic clips that hold the trim in place gently squeeze them and push upwards to pop it off.

Now you will see the 2 plastic lenses that house your lights. Remove the 2 connectors and then pop them out.

You will notice that the new lights do not fit exactly. I used bathroom calking silicon that you can purchase at any home depo or orchard supply to put a light seal around the lights to glue them in place.

Its a semi permanent option but dont be too scared as it can be removed from the paint at a later time if you so wish to revert back to stock housing without causing damage and even if it did it would be covered by the housing so you wouldnt see it.

When you are done plug the new connectors and install everything back together

Here are some pictures of the final results. Again I wasn't planning on it being so bright. It does however help a lot when parallel parking at night and not being able to see how close you are to the curb and worrying about scratching your rims.

Another plus is that I most likely will never have to worry about my licensed plate bulbs burning out again.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
YarisSedan

Next step im doing next week is wiring up my toyota emblem on my trunk to light up in red when i brake as a alternative to a 3rd center stop light
Old 04-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
redglare45

Drives: 07 Sedan - 5 Speed Manual
Where did you get the kit from? I like it, they are pretty bright on the pics. Let us know if any trouble with the cops. I'll be watching for the emblem install.
redglare45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
YarisSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redglare45 View Post
Where did you get the kit from? I like it, they are pretty bright on the pics. Let us know if any trouble with the cops. I'll be watching for the emblem install.
Found them on ebay
Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
YarisSedan

This is what the led emblem should look like when i brake.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Heres a picture of a front one probably white might be legal blue is going to be highly illegal

Old 04-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
redglare45

Drives: 07 Sedan - 5 Speed Manual
Cool. I'll take a look at ebay for the kit. Thanks. Diggin' the brake emblem too.
redglare45 is offline   Reply With Quote