Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-19-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
I cannot find 14" steel wheel for 2008 Yaris

For some reason I cannot find a 14" steel wheel for a 2008 Yaris. The original OEM wheel was bent badly after I hit a concrete divider/curb. Les Scwab (a very good tire place in the Pacific NW) has a generic steel wheel, but it does not work with the Toyota sensors.

The best I can do so far is a local Toyota dealer could have one here by tomorrow, cost is $130. We (myself and Les Schwab) have called all around to junkyards and have not been able to locate one. Tire Rack sells a steel wheel for about $45 plus $16 shipping, it would take 7 days to get here. Les Schwab told me the Tirerack wheels are usually the same as the generic steel wheel that Les Schwab already has. So this would not work with the Toyota sensors.

Les Schwab bent the steel wheel back in place so it holds air, but they say it will not balance. And they say it will vibrate a lot. They say this will be less of a problem if the wheel is on the rear. But that is not a longterm solution; among other things the tires have to be rotated, so the tire will eventually be on the front I think.

ANY COMMENTS OR IDEAS WOULD BE WELCOMED.

Thanks,

R.
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
RMcG

Does anybody know if the Tirerack 14 inch black steel wheel (info below, image attached) will work with the factory toyota sensors? A tirerack representative told me it would work with the Toyota sensors.

New Steel Wheel
Favorite
New
Steel Wheel

FRONT AND REAR
Size: 14X6 (O.E. Diameter)
Finish: Black Painted
Weight: Not Available
Offset: +45mm

Qty: Per Wheel:

$45.00
Availability: In Stock
How soon can I get this?
See Shipping Cost
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheel.jpg (26.1 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by RMcG; 08-19-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Tire Rack is good about compatibility. If they say it will work with OEM TPMS sensors, then it definitely should.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
RMcG

Hi Scott,

One guy over internet chat at TireRack said the wheel would work, but another guy over the phone at TireRack said it probably would not work. So there was a question mark there.

In any case, I found a wheel through HollanderParts.com
https://www.hollanderparts.com/Home

You can search under your vehicle make, model, year and trim or under VIN number and get a wide selection of salvage yards that have the part you are looking for. I found a wheel for $55 + $4 tax, a savings ($70) over the $130 Toyota dealers charge.

Hollander was apparently the person who invented and promoted the interchange number convept. See http://wikido.isoftdata.com/index.ph...er_Interchange

Thanks,

R.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Probably too late, but I looked at those rims, and found them to have hop, be untrue and really F*ckn Heavy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcG View Post
Does anybody know if the Tirerack 14 inch black steel wheel (info below, image attached) will work with the factory toyota sensors? A tirerack representative told me it would work with the Toyota sensors.

New Steel Wheel
Favorite
New
Steel Wheel

FRONT AND REAR
Size: 14X6 (O.E. Diameter)
Finish: Black Painted
Weight: Not Available
Offset: +45mm

Qty: Per Wheel:

$45.00
Availability: In Stock