Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

Drives: 2009 5spd LB
09 Liftback Speedo Gauge cluster dilemna with picsŪ

Snow day from work today so decided to pull my gauge cluster on my 09 2dr LB to follow VodkaLush's DIY for changing the LED colors. I had purchased the blue LED's he referred to for the sedan. So once I got it all apart (see pics) I noticed:
  • the Speedo LED's are bigger than they are in his DIY - so the ones I bought are too small
  • the clock is in an orange clear housing that gives it its color so changing LED's would not work
  • so if I do get the right size blue LED's I would still have an orange (yuk) clock and that would drive me nuts not having it match
So I put it all back together and left it as it was ALL ORANGE (yuk) - I will debate whether to change just the speedo and fuel/mileage gauge to blue, but I don't think I will. This sucks I was a tad disappointed - but disassembly and reassembley after my discovery took a very short amount of time so not a huge loss

pariahdecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
||)) (o) ||\||
- Donnie Demonic -

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan Sport
It is possible to use the ones you bought though to replace the ones on the cluster. I have tried it and they do work. Just need to add a little more solder to make up for the 1 milimeter in size difference.
||)) (o) ||\|| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

I was just worried that they would not be bright enough, but looking at the work you did it looks like they would have been fine (with some extra solder) Having the clock still be orange would still freak me though. The eLED website does have the correct LED's so I may still go through with it. The larger LED's look like they would be easier to solder
Old 01-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
If anyone feels comfortable swapping my LED's let me know. I have the blue LED's, just no SMT experience. Shoot me a quote.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

I actually just ordered the larger blue LED's to get this done on my 09 2dr. The larger size will have the added advantage of being esaier to work with, but they are a tad more expensive. I'll suck it up and live with the orange clock

Sure . . . the Yaris is a small enough car - stick your car in one of those padded FedEx® envelopes and overnight it to me - I'll swap out your LED's, wash it and wax it, and mail it back

sarcasm FTW

In all seriousness would you drive to PA to have Don (DD) do it or MA to have me do it? In reality I have some (but limited) SMD SMT experience so I would be comfortable doing it on my own car - but would not want to take the responsibility of F$#@ing up somebody else's ride.

Tags
2009 lb, gauge cluster, led