Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-30-2009, 04:08 AM   #19
AlainMikli

Drives: ings 09 Yaris 3 Door LiftBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltasix View Post
I would have gotten an "S" model..... if it went any faster than a non-S model..
yeah, and S model cost $3000 more??

$3000 for a RPM gauge & a factory lip kit is not worth it for me, I can have a lot of mods in $3000
REAL JDM ings+1 Full Body Kit…REAL JDM C-One Spoiler…Retrofit Projector Headlight…Kiddo 6-pots BBK…CE 28N J-Time Attack…Bride Ergo II Racing Seat…Personal Steering Wheel…Work Bell Quick Release…Dealer Option Sun Roof…JDM RS LED Side Mirror…JDM RS Taillight…C-One Oil Cap…C-One Radiator Cap…TRD Iridium Racing Spark Plug…Tom's Fuel Map Controller…Blitz throttle controller…GReddy Informeter Touch…MR Suspension…TRD Rear Sway Bar…MR C-Pillar Bar…GTspec Front Strut Bar & Rear Strut Bar…AFE Intake…WR Header…Nitto Mid-Pipe…Greddy Ti-C axleback…Goodridge SS Brake Line…
To do: Supercharger…
AlainMikli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #20
brody9981

Drives: 09 Mazda Miata MX5
Glad that ur happy that you saved some change for things u didnt need....I on the other hand, was able to spend a few more dollars and get what I really wanted. An "S". Not just for a spoiler and lip kit....but as I have stated in previous posts: The interior is different, the seats up front are shaped different and the cloth is solid black. Leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter. Little touches that made this car for me. I wasnt feeling the blue poka dot interior or the silver color parts inside. And I didnt pay a 3K difference. It was only slightly more then a comparable fully loaded non "S". To each there own I guess. I'm all for an S area as mentioned in an earlier post!
brody9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #21
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Congrats on buying a car you are happy with but let's be realistic. Most people chose a base model over the S model because the S package isn't worth paying lots more for.

NO model of the Yaris will ever be "Rare" or "Collectable".
Old 06-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #22
90tsi

Drives: 09 yaris
back in jan when i got my other yaris i asked about the S and they told me there was only one polar white one in my region. and it would took like 2wks to get and thats if it wasnt already spoken for. i think someone just north of me bought it like a month later. but even when i mentioned it the dealer made it sound like they really weren't that interest in even attempting to inquire about it for me. i finally told them what i was really after and they had to dealer trade it with some place in K.C.
90tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #23
brody9981

AGAIN.....no one here said it would be "collectible"! However, they ARE rare. Just because "most" have chosen not to or could not spend a little bit more money to get an "S" does not mean that the extras they come with are not "worth" the price. I have seen quite a few on here spend a penny modding their base Yaris with seat covers, after market tachs, and so forth. They not be worth the extra funds for you, but for some of us, it was. As stated before, to each their own. There sure are haters around huh?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #24
brody9981

Also, how much money is "lots more" ? As stated, I didnt pay "lots more". It was only slightly higher than a comparable fully loaded yaris.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #25
brody9981

TRD MARTY: I like your ride! Nice color!!! Like the rims......
Old 06-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #26
tuckevalastin

Apparently you don't bother to read before you comment.

1) Someone did say they could be collector cars, in fact I believe it was the OP.

2) As I said for most people (most doesn't mean everyone) don't find the S package worth the money.

I have yet to see anyone in this thread hating. Stopping bringing drama into a thread for no reason.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #27
Yarisight

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB "S" Blazing Blue
I had the privilege of test driving both the standard & "S" liftback '08 before buying my Yaris. I had to wait two months for my '08 "S" liftback, before my dealer could deliver. Since I drove them both...I chose the "S" hands down for one reason (to be explained below).

In the mean time to close the deal since I sold my car, and didn't have any transportation the dealer gave me a loaner car to drive until they could deliver my "S". That loaner car was a standard Yaris '08 liftback which I thought was cool. It gave me time to get used to the Yaris before I got mine.

I'm happy and glad I held out for my "S" for one reason , and one reason only. The bolstered sport seats in the "S" are far superior to the seats in the standard Yaris liftback imo (and I drove a standard for 2 months waiting for my "S"). I'm tall and always had back pain, and the seating comfort between the standard, and "S" model liftback Yaris is like night and day (especially on long trips). It WAS my deciding factor on going with the "S".

Don't get me wrong....I like the "extras" the spoiler, and lip package, the "S" badging, leather trimmed steering wheel, and shifter. I also prefer the instrumentation of the "S" model over the standard model.

I prefer the black interior plastic and fabric used on the "S" model over the grey and polka dots used in the standard model. But what sold me most on getting the "S" model was the bolstered sport driver and passenger front seats. That in itself was worth the extra money, and my back thanks me for it

I do wish the "S" badge came with more HP though

P.S. Lookin' good TRDMarty....nice clean "S" ya got there.

Blazing Blue...Through and True...
Yarisight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #28
brody9981

Yarisight.....AWESOME POST! +1!! Love the color of your car, I was torn between blazing blue and polar white.......LOOKS GREAT!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #29
Deltasix

Drives: '07 Liftback: Work in Progress
Send a message via AIM to Deltasix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarisight View Post
...I'm happy and glad I held out for my "S" for one reason , and one reason only. The bolstered sport seats in the "S" are far superior to the seats in the standard Yaris liftback imo (and I drove a standard for 2 months waiting for my "S"). I'm tall and always had back pain, and the seating comfort between the standard, and "S" model liftback Yaris is like night and day (especially on long trips). It WAS my deciding factor on going with the "S"......

.....I do wish the "S" badge came with more HP though
While I've never really had issues with the seats in the standard Yaris liftback (I'm 6'5" tall, and regularly drive to and from Washington DC and Hartford CT) I could defiantly see that as a good reason to pick up the S. But your closing comment, I believe, hits on the major point of the car.

The "S" model should be faster.

Now, add in a few more ponies and everything else the "S" comes with, then you have an interesting car. Without it, hey, its everyone's personal choice on what they like and don't like, I just see it as overpriced accessories.

(Or we could just release the TS in the United States and have done with it)
Old 06-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #30
AlainMikli

Quote:
Originally Posted by brody9981 View Post
Glad that ur happy that you saved some change for things u didnt need....I on the other hand, was able to spend a few more dollars and get what I really wanted. An "S". Not just for a spoiler and lip kit....but as I have stated in previous posts: The interior is different, the seats up front are shaped different and the cloth is solid black. Leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter. Little touches that made this car for me. I wasnt feeling the blue poka dot interior or the silver color parts inside. And I didnt pay a 3K difference. It was only slightly more then a comparable fully loaded non "S". To each there own I guess. I'm all for an S area as mentioned in an earlier post!
You're right, for some who don't want to modify their yaris but want a better interior/outlook, should really go for the "S" model

for me, I've spend the $3000 to upgrade my:
Bride Racing Seat, HID headlight, JDM LED Taillight, Suspension...after these still have few hundreds bucks left for another mods
REAL JDM ings+1 Full Body Kit…REAL JDM C-One Spoiler…Retrofit Projector Headlight…Kiddo 6-pots BBK…CE 28N J-Time Attack…Bride Ergo II Racing Seat…Personal Steering Wheel…Work Bell Quick Release…Dealer Option Sun Roof…JDM RS LED Side Mirror…JDM RS Taillight…C-One Oil Cap…C-One Radiator Cap…TRD Iridium Racing Spark Plug…Tom's Fuel Map Controller…Blitz throttle controller…GReddy Informeter Touch…MR Suspension…TRD Rear Sway Bar…MR C-Pillar Bar…GTspec Front Strut Bar & Rear Strut Bar…AFE Intake…WR Header…Nitto Mid-Pipe…Greddy Ti-C axleback…Goodridge SS Brake Line…
Old 06-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #31
AlainMikli

Yes...if the "S" model is faster than base model, I MUST pay $3000 more to get the "S" one

even Corolla (S), Civic (SI), RSX (type s) is a way faster than the base model, I don't know why yaris "S" using the same engine as the base model
Old 06-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #32
Yarisight

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB "S" Blazing Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltasix View Post
While I've never really had issues with the seats in the standard Yaris liftback (I'm 6'5" tall, and regularly drive to and from Washington DC and Hartford CT) I could defiantly see that as a good reason to pick up the S. But your closing comment, I believe, hits on the major point of the car.

The "S" model should be faster.

Now, add in a few more ponies and everything else the "S" comes with, then you have an interesting car. Without it, hey, its everyone's personal choice on what they like and don't like, I just see it as overpriced accessories.

(Or we could just release the TS in the United States and have done with it)
I totally agree with you....(and please release the TS in the US) if you are going to put out an "S" model it SHOULD be faster, and have better performance mods then the standard model of that vehicle IMO. ***TAKE NOTE TOYOTA***!!!

You say it's overpriced accessories, and it may be if you just need a daily driver. But if you want to mod your Yaris like alot of us on here like to do going with the "S" model means you have that much less to do. And you can put your time and money into other mods like I've done.

And if I tried to take a standard '08 Yaris liftback, and try to transform it into an "S" it would take me alot more time , money, and energy doing so then just buying an "S" outright. Like was said above..."to each is own". For my situation going with the "S" was worth it for me...for others it might not be worth it. Do what you like...and be happy

Blazing Blue...Through and True...
Yarisight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #33
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
brody9981 thanks for the compliment & Yarisright I agree 100% with the reasons for choosing the S over the standard. When I ordered mine from the dealer here in SoCal, they told me that they had never had anyone actually order an S before and that I was the 1st due to the fact that most people when they decide to go shopping for their car actually buy on instinct and whats on the lot. It took 90 days for my car to arrive from Japan and the day I picked it up at the dealer I had 6 different people ask me if I would consider selling it to them right then and there, yes 6 people because they didn't know about the S model being offered. From what everybody has told me that the dealer I went to is the largest dealer in the state of California and they checked the entire states inventory and not one S showed on their computer. So being a collector of muscle cars and whats rare in that field, I put 2 & 2 together and said, HUMMM, nobody's aware of these ''S'' Liftbacks = potential collector car!! This why I have chose to upgrade my car with Factory TRD options = potential collector car down the road and it's my daily driver.
Remember when you could go to the Chevy dealer and order a 69 Z-28?
Then in 69 you could order a COPO 69 Camaro (all aluminum 427 earthshaker engine)
The dealers didn't even know about this option. Today a COPO Camaro is VERY DESIREABLE and BIG money.
Again guys, count how many ''S'' Liftbacks you see in a month.
I'm always everyday on the look.
If you guys have any pics of your ''S'' Liftbacks, I would love to check out your rides.
Marty
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #34
tuckevalastin

If you collect muscle cars you should know better then to put a 2008 Toyota Yaris in the same sentence as COPO Camaro
Old 06-30-2009, 11:10 PM   #35
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
Well I understand what you mean but I'm sure you know the point I was intending about the rarity of even a Yaris could be 10 to 20 years from now.
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:23 PM   #36
tuckevalastin

Well I'll agree that once the typical lifespan of a Yaris is up it will be almost impossible to find an S model Yaris but that will be because they will all just be used up and junked. But being hard to find doesn't make a car collectable. As much as Yaris owners seem to love their cars, the Yaris just isn't a car that will ever gain the attention of collectors.