Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
chilly79

Drives: 09, 3dr, LB, Carmine Red
Power windows and locks on a 2009 3dr.

I got the kit from A1electric and planned on putting it in myself. I have done this on a few classic cars with other kits in the past. This one seems pretty easy but I opened up the door panel and found it already had some wires. I did some searches on here and found out the 2009 is prewired so that should be for my windows and locks. So my issue is I can’t find anything that tells me what the 5 wires in this connector do. Would I even be able to use the factory wires to set up the window and locks that comes in the A1 kit? Would I be able to wire it up and everything work or would I have to remove the wires from the ECM and put them in the brain that came with the lock kit? If not I think I will just run the wires that came with it.

The wires come out of the door with 7 wires then two split off to the speaker and the other 5 end at a connector about a foot above the speaker. There are no other wires in the door. The wire colors are purple, teal, black, white, then white with a black stripe. I know the white with a black stripe is the ground but not sure about the other 4. To me I don’t see how this is enough to wire the windows and locks. The locks are 5 wire and the windows have 2 plus the switches. Power and ground can have the same source but that leaves 3 wires left over for lock and window signals to the other door.
chilly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The connector above the speaker is for the remote power mirrors.

In the picture below (from my 09 with power locks, windows, and mirrors), you can see that connector in use. The large gauge wires below it are the wires for the power locks and windows. The mirror wires are too small of a gauge for the current required to drive the power window motors. They might be OK for the power lock solenoids, but you'd still have to run the larger gauge wires into the door for the windows.

Power door wiring.jpg
Old 12-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
chilly79

LOL ok I don't have all thoses wires. I can just run the wires that came with the kit. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Buying the factory power package option saves money in the long run....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
A/C, cruise control, power windows, power mirrors: once you've had them, you're hooked for life...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
chilly79

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Windows, locks, and keyless entry cost me around $250. This is cheaper than adding power to the base model. There is something to be said about factory installed though.
I bought my car used anyway. I was not able to find one with power for sale.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
Eatoman

Drives: '07 Yaris 5dr HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly79 View Post
Windows, locks, and keyless entry cost me around $250. This is cheaper than adding power to the base model. There is something to be said about factory installed though.
I bought my car used anyway. I was not able to find one with power for sale.
Bought mine used without the power package as well. All I have is power mirrors and door locks. I was able to bargain with the dealer to add A/C at half the price though!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
chilly79

LOL I live in Texas so no AC would be crazy in the summer. I was able to look past power windows and locks but not AC.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
A/C, cruise control, power windows, power mirrors: once you've had them, you're hooked for life...
i disagree completely. Power mirrors and windows are a waste of money and add useless weight. I can literally reach from one window knob and reach the other one, why do I need a button and all that wiring and electronics instead? Never mind power mirrors, lol.

I wouldn't mind having cruise, but it isn't really necessary, and it using it is not the best way to get good gas mileage.