Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
alan1828

Drives: 2009 Vitz RS
Send a message via ICQ to alan1828 Send a message via MSN to alan1828 Send a message via Yahoo to alan1828
Solar powered High Bright LED lights replacing the fog lights

Ever since I had installed my HID's I have disabled my Fog lights and I don't know the fix for it. I work for a company which makes Solar Lights for gardens and I have a nice set of flood lights which is solar powered 24 Lumens. Here's my idea:

Mounting the solar panel on the roof, routing the cables under the hood and fitting them inplace of the exsisting fog lights.

During the day it will charge, when the day is darker they will turn on autmatically, preset to 10hrs they will stay on all night , till power drains. The next morning panel will sense daylight, turn off and recharge again.

My question is: would it be really cool? Would it be illegal? would it cause complications, or should I modify them to be strip LEDs like the Audi's.

alan1828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
GREAT IDEA. do it then show us how.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Sorry, had to LOL at this idea. It sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Try searching for a DIY on rewiring fog lights. You should find a thread or two on getting a separate OEM fog light switch. GL

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:23 AM   #4
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Hmm....nice idea.

LEDs or CFLs?

Either way, 24 is not enough beyond decorations/another parking light. Regular bulbs put out about 1200 plus lumens. I don't see why you can't do it if you're just looking for the look of fog lights. Nothing illegal either as long as it looks like you have 4 main lights ( for the majority of the US anyway).

It's a great thought, just not enough brightness for any use.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1828 View Post
Ever since I had installed my HID's I have disabled my Fog lights and I don't know the fix for it. I work for a company which makes Solar Lights for gardens and I have a nice set of flood lights which is solar powered 24 Lumens. Here's my idea:

Mounting the solar panel on the roof, routing the cables under the hood and fitting them inplace of the exsisting fog lights.

During the day it will charge, when the day is darker they will turn on autmatically, preset to 10hrs they will stay on all night , till power drains. The next morning panel will sense daylight, turn off and recharge again.

My question is: would it be really cool? Would it be illegal? would it cause complications, or should I modify them to be strip LEDs like the Audi's.

Not much light power. Basically just a cosmetic band-aid.
And you may grow tired of people telling you you've left your lights on. Solar panels on the roof may be a good conversation starter too.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
rihanna2000

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue 2 dr
LED, Dude.They look hot,man!
rihanna2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I say, just add a solar panel to the roof of the car to help keep the battery charged and let the LEDs run off of the normal electrical system.

If you covered the roof in Mono-Crystalline cells, you could produce around 200W.

I'm just basing that figure from the 60W panel I built that's on the roof of my house made from Poly-Crystalline cells. (less efficient)
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
LA Yaris
Yaris323

Drives: 09 Sedan Yaris 06 Ford Mustang
LA Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Yaris View Post
Of what? My solar panel?

Edit: this is what I was thinking...

Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
alan1828

Drives: 2009 Vitz RS
Send a message via ICQ to alan1828 Send a message via MSN to alan1828 Send a message via Yahoo to alan1828
That is exactly what I was aiming for but.... where can I get one? My company sells solar panels for homes not cars.....
alan1828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #11
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
There are some flexible panels in the market, I’m not sure for this type of application but could be a possibility...
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fog, hid, led, solar power