Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-26-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Heating Oil Being Given Away In NJ!

7Oil is givng away 100 gallons of heating oil FREE to people who call this number 877 563 4645.

Its busy but Im trying to get mine!

Can FREE GAS be far behind?
Old 03-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
Flammable

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Dang I heat with LP and the last fill up was 3.65 per gallon plus a 10 percent sales tax.
Flammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:11 AM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I feel for you guys with no natural gas lines to your homes...it is so much less expensive than most other alternatives (I know heating oil is common in the Northeast). Whenever a house in my county is on the market for a long time in an otherwise very popular area, I often notice the home has electric heating. I know a guy who moved to my county from California because he wanted to build a large custom home on acreage within 40 miles of a major city, wanted pine trees, and didn't want to be cold. Other than in California (which would have cost much more) my county was a logical choice. He found a lot he liked, and then either asked the county or the gas company (can't remember which) if a gas line could be run to his property. He was told yes. He bought the lot. He neglected to get an estimate for the gas line before buying the lot. Big mistake. Learned after purchasing the lot that running the line would be 375k. He ended up going electric instead. In some markets or particular situations having electric heating doesn't seem to be a hindrance to resale. My aunt and uncle's place at Lake Tahoe has electric heating, but places in their development so seldom come on the market that available ones get snapped up pretty quickly.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:56 AM   #4
bronsin

Oh we have gas here. My problem is the house came with a 550 gallon buried oil tank. To convert to gas, the tank has to be removed. If they find anything wrong its $$$$$ to fix it. And I dont trust them to NOT find anything wrong!

WHen we bought the house in 92 I spent $400 to have the gas pipe installed since they were cooking and dry clothes with electric.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I feel for you guys with no natural gas lines to your homes...it is so much less expensive than most other alternatives (I know heating oil is common in the Northeast). Whenever a house in my county is on the market for a long time in an otherwise very popular area, I often notice the home has electric heating. I know a guy who moved to my county from California because he wanted to build a large custom home on acreage within 40 miles of a major city, wanted pine trees, and didn't want to be cold. Other than in California (which would have cost much more) my county was a logical choice. He found a lot he liked, and then either asked the county or the gas company (can't remember which) if a gas line could be run to his property. He was told yes. He bought the lot. He neglected to get an estimate for the gas line before buying the lot. Big mistake. Learned after purchasing the lot that running the line would be 375k. He ended up going electric instead. In some markets or particular situations having electric heating doesn't seem to be a hindrance to resale. My aunt and uncle's place at Lake Tahoe has electric heating, but places in their development so seldom come on the market that available ones get snapped up pretty quickly.
Yes I get the feeling this whole gas/oil/electric deal is a big scam.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Oh we have gas here. My problem is the house came with a 550 gallon buried oil tank. To convert to gas, the tank has to be removed. If they find anything wrong its $$$$$ to fix it. And I dont trust them to NOT find anything wrong!

WHen we bought the house in 92 I spent $400 to have the gas pipe installed since they were cooking and dry clothes with electric.
You did the right thing cause as you said they would find something wrong. Where I live we have a septic tank and a deep well. Years ago I saw this guy walking thru our front yard look around and writing something on a clipboard. He had on one of those safty Orange vests road crews wear. I started talking to him and he said they were surveying the area to see who all had deep wells. He said the county was considering condemning all the wells in our area and we would be forced to hook up to city water and sewage at a cost of over five grand but if we were to do it right away the cost would only be 1500. Later county started holding public meeting and there was suck an outcry they shelved the idea. Later they just wanted to hit septic tanks so the county was thinking of forcing people to either build above ground septic tanks or hook up to city sewage. Basically you could keep your underground septic tank but nobody could ever pump it out or repair it legally. They shelved this idea too after backlash. Recently it got out the city overcharged commercial customers on their electic bills for many years. They know who they overcharged but instead of refunding the money or giving them a credit, the city commission just decided to keep the money. Typical and the govt wonders why people are so down on them
Old 03-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
And I dont trust them to NOT find anything wrong!
Same way I would look at that issue.

Quote:
$400 definitely well spent!
Old 03-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flammable View Post
Yes I get the feeling this whole gas/oil/electric deal is a big scam.
I'm glad we have our choice of electric companies in Texas, and the mandated Centerpoint Energy for gas is okay. For most of my life I've had PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric) as a provider. I can't stand PG&E and don't trust them..for two reasons right off the top of my head -- 1. See the movie Erin Brockovich...300 million dollar plus judgement against PG&E in lawsuit re water they knew they contaminated. 2. In 2010 there was a gas line explosion in San Bruno, California. PG&E initially tried to stick the ratepayers with the costs. There was a public outcry. The ratepayers didn't end up paying the costs...the company (thus the shareholders) paid $562 million in claims, and an insurance company paid a bit in claims on top of that.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #9
Flammable

Quote:
I'm glad we have our choice of electric companies in Texas, and the mandated Centerpoint Energy for gas is okay. For most of my life I've had PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric) as a provider. I can't stand PG&E and don't trust them..for two reasons right off the top of my head -- 1. See the movie Erin Brockovich...300 million dollar plus judgement against PG&E in lawsuit re water they knew they contaminated. 2. In 2010 there was a gas line explosion in San Bruno, California. PG&E initially tried to stick the ratepayers with the costs. There was a public outcry. The ratepayers didn't end up paying the costs...the company (thus the shareholders) paid $562 million in claims, and an insurance company paid a bit in claims on top of that.
Wow your PG&E sounds a lot like FPL (Florida Power & Light) which supplies power to a big part Florida. Where I live we have Talquin Electric which is a co-op. They are pretty decent as power companies go and we actually get annual rebate checks from them.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #10
bronsin

Well its been a week now and I have yet to get an answer at that #!
Old 03-29-2015, 01:16 AM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Well its been a week now and I have yet to get an answer at that #!
Perhaps they are just trying to get your number for marketing purposes. 877 is a toll free prefix, which means your number is always visible when you are calling that number.....because they are 'paying for the call'.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:21 AM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flammable View Post
Wow your PG&E sounds a lot like FPL (Florida Power & Light) which supplies power to a big part Florida. Where I live we have Talquin Electric which is a co-op. They are pretty decent as power companies go and we actually get annual rebate checks from them.
I wish I could design my ideal state, taking the things I like best from Texas, Florida, and California . (primarily family, weather, and skiing on that last one ).
Old 03-29-2015, 11:00 AM   #13
bronsin

Quote:
Perhaps they are just trying to get your number for marketing purposes. 877 is a toll free prefix, which means your number is always visible when you are calling that number.....because they are 'paying for the call'.
Could be. You know what they say If its too good to be true is probably is.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:18 PM   #14
Flammable

Quote:
I wish I could design my ideal state, taking the things I like best from Texas, Florida, and California . (primarily family, weather, and skiing on that last one ).
I am with you there