Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-24-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
Flammable

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Opinionated Car Reviews

I first saw this Car and Driver review a few years ago right after I purchased my 2012 Yaris. That is when I learned most every review was, at best, indifferent to the Yaris. Of all the stuff this guy said in his review the thing that irritated me the most was his quip "Since many Toyota buyers operate with tunnel vision regarding brands, the 2012 Yaris will most likely sell at least as well as the outgoing model" Well gee there Earl, you think that "tunnel vision" is due to the fact Toyota makes reliable, care free cars that last forever while Detroit and other makers throw crap out for so many years? I understand there are homers with any make of car that will stick with their car brand come hell or high water. But the Big Three lost many a once loyal customer to Toyota years ago because of the "LTDs" they purchased back in the mid 70s up thru the 90s. I will never own a GM or Mopar product ever again simply because of the Govt bailout. The only car Ford makes that I like is the Mustang and I do own one of those. I will always have a Toyota as long as they keep making reliable cars they way they have been. Any thoughts?
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
Flammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I really hate how American reviews always make subcompacts into some sort of hellish segment of the market that only the poor or desperate would drive (minus the over-hyped Honda Fit for some reason). Even the Acura ILX is often mocked because it is built on the Honda Civic Platform (and thus smaller) - yet I would buy one of those long before I ever bought a larger top-trim Accord or Camry, which is in the same price range. Some Americans, like a LOT of European and other markets, actually PREFER smaller cars.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:20 AM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flammable View Post
I will never own a GM or Mopar product ever again simply because of the Govt bailout. The only car Ford makes that I like is the Mustang and I do own one of those. I will always have a Toyota as long as they keep making reliable cars they way they have been. Any thoughts?
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
I won't ever own a GM or Chrysler product in the future for other reasons as well, but the bailout is the biggest reason (and I've mentioned this on threads long past). Most of the times I've heard a government agency representative or a representative from a liberal news source mention the figures from the auto bailout they are misleading....most of the time the fact that the 'new' GM got to carry over the losses from the 'old' GM to be able to use as a write off isn't mentioned .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:43 AM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I really hate how American reviews always make subcompacts into some sort of hellish segment of the market that only the poor or desperate would drive (minus the over-hyped Honda Fit for some reason). Even the Acura ILX is often mocked because it is built on the Honda Civic Platform (and thus smaller) - yet I would buy one of those long before I ever bought a larger top-trim Accord or Camry, which is in the same price range. Some Americans, like a LOT of European and other markets, actually PREFER smaller cars.
If more than two people are going on a driving vacation (especially if at least two of those people are grown women ), it can be nice to have a larger vehicle (of course this is not an everyday occurrence). I went on a long weekend (Bay Area to Ventura County and back) with my aunt, my cousin, and my little cousin. We took my aunt's Lexus RX SUV, and I drove the whole way. It would have been somewhat difficult to fit 4 people and all of our stuff in anything much smaller. The Yaris has always been a good size for even long trips that are 'just me' trips.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:10 PM   #5
Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
If more than two people are going on a driving vacation (especially if at least two of those people are grown women ), it can be nice to have a larger vehicle (of course this is not an everyday occurrence). I went on a long weekend (Bay Area to Ventura County and back) with my aunt, my cousin, and my little cousin. We took my aunt's Lexus RX SUV, and I drove the whole way. It would have been somewhat difficult to fit 4 people and all of our stuff in anything much smaller. The Yaris has always been a good size for even long trips that are 'just me' trips.
Yes larger vehicles do have their place and I don't have anything against them per se. The thing that I don't get is all the people around here that drive F250 or F350 dulys, huge Rams and Chevys and 99% of the time its just the driver in them. Most look like they never see the off road or even haul anything. Cowboy Cadillacs my brother calls them lol.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:52 AM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Yes larger vehicles do have their place and I don't have anything against them per se. The thing that I don't get is all the people around here that drive F250 or F350 dulys, huge Rams and Chevys and 99% of the time its just the driver in them. Most look like they never see the off road or even haul anything. Cowboy Cadillacs my brother calls them lol.
Same thing around Houston, except a slightly higher percentage are probably used to haul things.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #7
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
Quote:
Pretty brutal review, Detroit snobbery is alive and well. It reminds me of my younger days of Detroit hating Japanese imports and smashing them up with a sledge hammers. Yet no definitive answer to Japanese quality and value to this day.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:27 AM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killchain View Post
Pretty brutal review, Detroit snobbery is alive and well. It reminds me of my younger days of Detroit hating Japanese imports and smashing them up with a sledge hammers. Yet no definitive answer to Japanese quality and value to this day.
One of my best friends was born in Long Beach CA, but grew up in Laguna Niguel CA (Orange County) fairly close to the beach. After his sophomore year in high school, his dad got transferred to Michigan. They moved to Rochester Hills, MI and he went to Rochester Adams High School for his junior and senior years before entering U of M (same high school Madonna went to...in fact he dated one of her younger sisters when they were both in high school). My friend told me that not a soul would dare park a foreign car in the student lot because of what would happen....trashed...vandalized...not strong enough words. My friend is a pretty brazen and tough guy, so that opinion doesn't come from a place of fear.

In 2007, I spent a couple of days in Warren, MI and I was at the wheel of my blue Yaris. I got cut off (other person switching lanes) quite a few times by 'Detroit Iron' over those few days in ways that I doubt would have happened had I been driving 'Detroit Iron'.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Looking at my daughters new RAV 4 made in USA IM not sure I want to buy non Japanese made zTpyotas. We will see how the RAV 4 does...
Old 04-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
Poor driving is one of the hallmarks of this area.
I very much doubt at UM that anyone gave a poop about the car brand. That place has been the bastion of liberal thought for eons. In the 60's if went to a UM parking lot or just the area campus it was brimming with "imports".
The manufacturer's lots are another story. Even today if you drive an import you must park in a designated area (usually of of public view) and can expect damage.
A large percentage of those behind the wheel here are uninsured and have no current license. If pulled over and no warrants, are generally sent on their way, because of the expense of an arrest and over crowding.
Norton
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonfb View Post
Poor driving is one of the hallmarks of this area.
I very much doubt at UM that anyone gave a poop about the car brand. That place has been the bastion of liberal thought for eons. In the 60's if went to a UM parking lot or just the area campus it was brimming with "imports".
The manufacturer's lots are another story. Even today if you drive an import you must park in a designated area (usually of of public view) and can expect damage.
Sorry, I was too tired when I wrote that . I was trying to indicate that the lot he told me about was at Rochester Adams High School...when he was in high school. I only meant to include the U of M part to indicate his level of observation (although not seeing any foreign cars would be pretty obvious ). He didn't like the 'bleeding heart' atmosphere at U of M and was also homesick for Southern California. After a year at U of M, he moved to California, worked, and then attended and graduated from UC Irvine....which is now too liberal, but it wasn't in the early 80s.

Quote:
A large percentage of those behind the wheel here are uninsured and have no current license. If pulled over and no warrants, are generally sent on their way, because of the expense of an arrest and over crowding.
Norton
^^^^^ Very, very interesting, but also sad and pathetic.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #12
Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killchain View Post
Then you got these yahoos driving around rolling coal on Toyota's and others they deem need the treatment. There are several around here where I live.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (7.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 04-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Then you got these yahoos driving around rolling coal on Toyota's and others they deem need the treatment. There are several around here where I live.
They probably are yahoos, but that picture is still funny. I've never seen stacks like that on a pickup anywhere but in Texas.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:29 AM   #14
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
They probably are yahoos, but that picture is still funny. I've never seen stacks like that on a pickup anywhere but in Texas.
We got em Jersey. Rare but out there!
Old 04-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #15
Flammable

Quote:
LOL Yeah I know what you mean. Florida has their share too. I am not against big trucks or semi themed stacks, just the way some choose to use them to be anti-social.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:05 AM   #16
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Seen a few of them in Kansas too,lol, go figure. one in particular has a supercharger you can hear whining from half a block away. not bad, just huge! Governed by software on a Palm Pilot. when he scrolls it up a bit, it takes off like a I8, just gone! 4wd with good FAT street tires. Fatter in rear. Kind of a diesel Pro Street.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #17
Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
Seen a few of them in Kansas too,lol, go figure. one in particular has a supercharger you can hear whining from half a block away. not bad, just huge! Governed by software on a Palm Pilot. when he scrolls it up a bit, it takes off like a I8, just gone! 4wd with good FAT street tires. Fatter in rear. Kind of a diesel Pro Street.
Ha ha that's funny!