Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-07-2017, 10:35 PM   #1
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
From a Yaris to a Sprinter

I'm an electrician and the company I'm currently with is getting a new service truck and I'll be the designated driver. I have a 45 minutes drive to the shop with my Yaris then I'll have to adjust to a 8' raised roof, 19' long cargo van (Mercedes Sprinter), weights twice as much, has a 3L V6 turbo Diesel engine, rear wheel drive, etc. polar opposite of a 3dr hatch. My main concern when driving bigger vehicles than my own is staying centered in the lane because the driver seat isn't anywhere near where I'm used to in relation to the road and wheels. Other than that I'm comfortable driving, backing, getting in and out of ditch and unpaved roads, etc. I'd be pretty pissed to scrape a car on the highway, passing by too close.

At least both vehicles are white, so it should help with the transition ;)
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:16 PM   #2
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
i drive my yaris to work. i drive a Chevrolet 1 ton savanna all day. 23' long. (or a ford F550 crane truck) never had any issues transitioning vehicles. i used to drive for UPS and they have an awesome driver's training program! i never have issues driving anything after taking that class!
all vehicles i drive are white. (HA!)
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:47 PM   #3
David C

I simply don't spend much time behind the wheel of bigger cars than my Yaris at this moments, but like I said its gonna change Monday morning.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:00 AM   #4
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I can't stand driving anything larger than a Corolla/Civic size car. Even the newer Accord and Camry models are too large for my taste. My Yaris is the perfect size for me.

Good luck driving those fat boats.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:12 AM   #5
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Sprinters would make a sweet camper van tho.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:54 AM   #6
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
Sprinters would make a sweet camper van tho.

Yup, you can setup a hammock in the back
Old 11-08-2017, 07:10 AM   #7
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Can you drive the Yaris into the Sprinter?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #8
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Can you drive the Yaris into the Sprinter?
Ha

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #9
David C

I wish, but it's only 53" interior width. It can however fit up to 137" (11') inside and haul up to 1.55 ton of cargo. However if you drive the Yaris in from the side doors, it may fit, but stick out a little on the sides :p
Old 11-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #10
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
We rented a Sprinter for 11 nights in New Zealand. It as a 2WD version, but it made for a very awesome RV while we had it. They drive quite well; much less trucklike that one might expect.

http://crankshaftculture.com/2016/10...o-frustrating/
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #11
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
We rented a Sprinter for 11 nights in New Zealand. It as a 2WD version, but it made for a very awesome RV while we had it. They drive quite well; much less trucklike that one might expect.

http://crankshaftculture.com/2016/10...o-frustrating/
Awesome, where in NZ? I went to Auckland this year i love the place. We rented a mazda 2. I want to go back explore the South Islands in a sprinter.

CAMPER!
Old 11-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #12
Whiplash

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4DR
That looks nice.
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #13
David C

Looks like it won't be ready for Monday, the rankings will take a little longer to be installed. Hopefully will get to drive it before the snow storms hit
Old 11-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #14
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Awesome, where in NZ? I went to Auckland this year i love the place. We rented a mazda 2. I want to go back explore the South Islands in a sprinter.

CAMPER!
We were all over NZ. We picked up the van in Christchurch, took it to Queenstown, Milford Sound, up the Western coast, up to the Tasman Sea, over to Blenheim, ferried over to the North Island, up the West Coast then dropped it off in Auckland. Took my wife's cousin's Mitsubishi Delica all around the North Island, then hopped over to Sydney, up to Newcastle, then flew out of Sydney. Total trip was three weeks. More on our NZ trip here:

http://crankshaftculture.com/2016/11...lose-personal/
Old 11-14-2017, 02:05 AM   #15
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
We were all over NZ. We picked up the van in Christchurch, took it to Queenstown, Milford Sound, up the Western coast, up to the Tasman Sea, over to Blenheim, ferried over to the North Island, up the West Coast then dropped it off in Auckland. Took my wife's cousin's Mitsubishi Delica all around the North Island, then hopped over to Sydney, up to Newcastle, then flew out of Sydney. Total trip was three weeks. More on our NZ trip here:

http://crankshaftculture.com/2016/11...lose-personal/
OMG!

You did all that in 3 weeks? geez! I went to matamata ( lord of rings film set) hamilton, Waiheke Island, Rotaroa and Auckland Harbor. It was an awesome place, loads of sheeps and mountains and green pastures.

I wanted to go because I have co workers that are New Zealanders they are the nicest people. Was wondering what is up in New Zealand? lol.

I plan one day to do your trip in 2 weeks. I live in Sydney (boring). Newcastle is awesome, central coast is usually much better than overrated Sydney.

I plan to go to Queensland next year. I love driving up North. Taking the KIA Sportage again. It's still running like a champ. Due for a service this Monday! KIA is really beginning to win me over. Very underrated company.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #16
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
OMG!

You did all that in 3 weeks? geez! I went to matamata ( lord of rings film set) hamilton, Waiheke Island, Rotaroa and Auckland Harbor. It was an awesome place, loads of sheeps and mountains and green pastures.

I wanted to go because I have co workers that are New Zealanders they are the nicest people. Was wondering what is up in New Zealand? lol.

I plan one day to do your trip in 2 weeks. I live in Sydney (boring). Newcastle is awesome, central coast is usually much better than overrated Sydney.

I plan to go to Queensland next year. I love driving up North. Taking the KIA Sportage again. It's still running like a champ. Due for a service this Monday! KIA is really beginning to win me over. Very underrated company.

Yeah, it was a whirlwind trip for sure.

My wife's cousin lives on Waiheke! We were there for four days (the longest we stayed anywhere). Did you get out to Stony Batter? It was beautiful out there.

We stayed with a friend in Newcastle (she actually runs the Newcastle Museum). Really hope to get back to both NZ and OZ sooner than later.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #17
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Aw I thought Sprinter Trueno, that's not quite the same!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:18 PM   #18
David C

From a Yaris to a Sprinter

This morning the boss handed me the keys of his brand new $80k Sprinter and I got to spend time behind the wheel and get familiar with the gas pedal feel (which is very stiff, but smooth). The humongous wide windshield really helps staying in my lane and tbh it felt very similar to my Yaris in terms of width. The fact that the hood drops quickly and the A pillars being so far to the side is the big reason to the familiar feel. Didn't had a problem parking in a tight driveway at dark between a car and a tree. Suspension is smooth and well balanced, doesn't feel rear heavy, but at first I felt like I was constantly nose diving due to the high seat position and dropping dash and hood. I think the magnifying side view mirrors will take the most getting used to, as I always feel like the car behind me is kissing my bumper. No lumbar adjustment/bottom cushion angle or suspension on the driver seat, fingers crossed that it won't mess up my back. The throttle is very slow, far from being jumpy, on the highway I almost have to floor it to get up to speed in a decent time, but again it's not broken in, still have 1 300km to go. Despite that, the engine doesn't rev high, red zone starts at 4k rpm and torque doesn't seem to show up until 2500 revs, which means I have to rev it up from 1500 when crushing on the highway to actually accelerate faster than a slug.

That's my first impression after spending 1.5h/60km on 6 travels today. Mostly highway, but some residential and boulevard too. Just finished reading the operator's manual, tomorrow i start at lunch time, so I get to stay up late (which I always do anyway) but get up late hehe. Maybe I'll show up a little early tomorrow so I can spend time tweaking seat position and stuff before hitting the road.

Attachment 59070