Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
Whiplash

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4DR
Headlight upgrade?

Does anyone know of any headlight upgrades for these cars?
I think the stock output is pretty sad, and I would like to get something better if possible.
I'm trying to not go with the sylvania silverstar option unless there is nothing else I can do since they generally blind other drivers (but they do work I guess).
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
HID's w/ projectors (to not blind others) will do the trick. they are pretty involved to install though. I'm always surprised at how bright they are
Old 12-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #3
Whiplash

Damn.
CT here I come haha.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
tmontague

your best bet is to buy a kit from either a parts store (probably other than CT) AandA auto in Stoney Creek carries kits. Barber on this forum used to sell kits, not sure if he still does, I purchased mine through him and he helped me out a ton and i've been happy.

They really changed the look of the front of the car and are crazy bright. The projectors do an excellent job of keeping the cut off down. I can stand in front of my car and stare right at my lights with zero blinding. If I put on the high beams (no cut off) or squat down I am instantly blinded.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
Whiplash

Are you talking about one of these kits?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-15-Yaris...5VNE7c&vxp=mtr

Or an actual HID retro fit?
The yaris is a winter DD for me so putting anything nice/expensive like a retrofit would be out of the question for me unfortunately.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
tmontague

i was talking about a retrofit. Anything much brighter without a projector is going to blind other drivers unfortunately. For a winter beater i'd just leave the oem's as is, or go with a slightly better/brighter bulb but make sure your headlights are adjusted properly
Old 12-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #7
Whiplash

I think the silverstars from CT will be a good improvement. Although I know for sure when I see them in a caravan or any older car I think they look like shit. For my commute I need decent lights and stock is not cutting it.

I also have a friend who is scrapping his celica. And i know he has one of those cheap ebay lighting kits on there. If he still has the car I'll try to grab those first.