Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Suzuki Sx4 AWD...your opinions

I used to always think, "man what if I could get a Yaris with AWD??", because I know they make them overseas but they don't sell it here.
Low and behold I never knew about the Suzuki Sx4 AWD that is sold
here in the states. It's roughly the same size and has a crapload of
standard features along with a 3 setting AWD system that supposebly
is pretty stout, all for about $17,000 brand new.

I don't know much about Suzuki's quality nowadays but I used to have
a 1994 Geo Metro, which was made by Suzuki, and it was one of the
most reliable and toughest cars I ever owned. Sure, it was slow as hell
with a 1.0 litre 3 cylinder engine but it never ever left me stranded and
gas mileage was pheonomenal with the 5spd in it.

Anyone own one of these Sx4's or have experience with them? I've looked
at alot of the videos of them on Youtube and the AWD definitely seems
like it lives up to those of a higher caliber such as Subaru but for alot cheaper price. And for $17,000 fully loaded including a detachable navigation...kind of makes me wish I knew about it before buying the Yaris so I could have compared the two.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
depends which one..canadian models looks stupid..im not sure if usa get the sexy looking one but i know uk and part of asia does..

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Friend at work has one. All we talked about was the poor gas mileage.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
detroiter

I have heard that as well about the sx4 is the dismal fuel mileage.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I had actually looked at one prior to buying my sedan and was really disappointed in the test drive weekend. I was lucky to get 25mpg highway.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
detroiter

From all the review I've read, it seems like it's more so hit and some miss. Like the majority of owners love it and it's super reliable or the owners have a turd on their hands and hate the thing.

It's very tempting for the price and for adjustable awd. My only gripe is that the awd-lock mode disengages at 35mph into i-awd, which is fwd with power transfer to the rear.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
just get 2012 suzuki swift..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-suzuki-swift.jpg (64.4 KB, 65 views)

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Test drove two 2010 SX-4s' , one with the C.V.T. and the other with a 6 speed manual . The C.V.T. coasts better than the manual . The clutch is quite easy and shifting as well . Like all the room it has and the ride was quite good too . If you have a light foot you could possibly get 30 m.p.g. or a bit better . The thing that turned us away is the high maintenance and the oil filter has a poor location if you do O.C.s. Give both a test drive and let us know your experience .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:41 AM   #9
brbo

Drives: 2010 Yaris
The SX4 was on my short list before I got the Yaris...

I wasn't looking at the AWD too much I felt for the price in Canada the Base starts over 20k,, if I was spending that kind of money and wanted AWD and fuel economy wasn't at the top of my list - I would have gone Matrix AWD for the same money...

Yes more interior room in the SX4 then the Yaris but not much, I also felt interior was very cheap feeling and looking compared to the Yaris, yes they are both all plastic but you can make it look really cheap which they did,,

The 2.0L had much more stink than the little 1.5L, and I'm sure it would have been even more notable of a difference once you increase the payload and turn on the AC, but in turn you loose your fuel economy compared to the Yaris obviously.... The '10 SX4 gets the 5 spd auto ('09 and prior is a 4 spd auto) which improves the mileage a bit over the older models but no where near the Yaris #'s....

Other items I liked about the SX4 was the visibility, with the front pillar windows it really made it an open feeling in the cabin, the flat folding rear seats and the usable hidden tray between the top panel and the spare...

There were many reviews I found for both and were good and bad for both....I'm glad with my choice of the Toy...
brbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I looked seriously at the SX4 before I bought the Yaris, the main reason I didn't go with it is because back then AWD only came with a slushbox. From what I understand that is not the case any more.

I do agree though if the Suzuki Swift is coming, check that out too. I wonder if they will bring any of the good models over.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
I had FWD one for a loaner car for 7 days.
I got 25 mpg...
I get 38 mpg from Yaris doing the same drive.
AWD one must be even worse than that.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
brbo

Drives: 2010 Yaris
I agree, but at least it's not a full time AWD, you actually turn it on/off...but extra rotating parts, and if I remember correctly it was just under 300lbs heavier also

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetzyamis View Post
AWD one must be even worse than that.
brbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
OK, directly from the horse's mouth:

I own a 2010 Suzuki SX4, and also owned a 2009 (along with a 1995 Suzuki Sidekick, and of course my Yaris). I LOVE this vehicle (I traded the 2009 nearly straight up for the color I wanted, the new motor, and the six-speed manual 2010 model).

I have had no problems at all with the cars. Suzuki builds GREAT small cars. They're known the world over for this.

Will the SX4 get Yaris-like fuel economy? No. Does a Yaris have AWD? No. If you compare this to other AWD cars, it does get good mileage. Compare it to a Yaris, not so much. But it's apples to oranges.

We routinely get 27 MPG combined with our AWD SX4. It's got great driving dynamics, plenty of pep, a nice interior, and a great warranty. Suzuki's are the most underrated cars on the U.S. market today.

Be sure to check out http://www.ClubSX4.com, as well as my site, http://www.subcompactculture.com/search/label/SX4 both have lots of SX4-related content. Feel free to PM me, too if you'd like.

Our old 2009.

Our new 2010.

Last edited by Thirty-Nine; 06-02-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
We seriously looked at the SX4 when they were very first released (I Drove the first one our local dealer got). They were auto only, and mileage was so-so. I wasn't sure about long term reliability or service (the dealer has since gone under).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Will the SX4 get Yaris-like fuel economy? No. Does a Yaris have AWD? No. If you compare this to other AWD cars, it does get good mileage
This is true. The 2007 Impreza 2.5i (auto) we had was unreal in the snow, but never got better than 25-26 mpg with my wife driving (except the time I drove 4 hours in the snow at 40 mph, then it was pretty high lol).
My 2007 Impreza WRX (manual) gets about 22-23 mpg with me driving mostly highway. That might have something to do with the fact I cant resist the right pedal!
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
Hershey

You can get an SX-4 A.W.D. with 6 speed manual for less than $16,300 . Can't go wrong for that price . The SUBARUs only get 28 > 30 m.p.g. , but you'll be paying $2,500 + for one . We've seen some newer Subarus that didn't sound all that great . The SX-4 A.W.D. comes on when needed or at all times if wanted for those poor driving conditions .
Old 06-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #16
detroiter

I wonder how much the Yaris would cost if you throw in all the bells and whistles that the base model Sx4 comes with standard. I do have to say that SUZUKI vehicles, the ones actually built by Suzuki, are tough as nails. Alot of their models were built by Daewoo and were just cheap Korean junk cars, but the few that Suzuki makes themselves, such is the sx4, are top notch quality.

I was reading an article in one of the big car magazines recently, might have been Automobile or Car and Driver. But anyways, it was about Suzuki and was a really good writeup and interview. I guess supposebly in Japan they recently took #1 spot in car sales, but are basically unheard of here in the states/canada. They were talking about how to change Suzuki's perception and what new things people can expect from them.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #17
Hershey

We still see METRO ( Swift ) hatchbacks on occasion . Some in good condition and others with lots of rust . Amazing .
Old 06-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
I wonder how much the Yaris would cost if you throw in all the bells and whistles that the base model Sx4 comes with standard. I do have to say that SUZUKI vehicles, the ones actually built by Suzuki, are tough as nails. Alot of their models were built by Daewoo and were just cheap Korean junk cars, but the few that Suzuki makes themselves, such is the sx4, are top notch quality.

I was reading an article in one of the big car magazines recently, might have been Automobile or Car and Driver. But anyways, it was about Suzuki and was a really good writeup and interview. I guess supposebly in Japan they recently took #1 spot in car sales, but are basically unheard of here in the states/canada. They were talking about how to change Suzuki's perception and what new things people can expect from them.
that is easy. Suzuki needs to import all their great little absurdly hot hatches to the US.