Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Safety Inspection in Ontario

The laws around safety inspections drastically changed in June 1st of this year in Ontario. The amount of detail (and cost) has gone up considerably. The average price out here in Hamilton is about $110 where it used to be $50-$60.

It now take about 1.5-2 hours and the list they go through is exhaustive. If it's on the car it has to work. This means a slightly torn rear wiper blade or even 1 fog light being burnt out.

I took my newly (private sale) purchased '05 Vibe awd to CRS automotive in Hamilton (went there because it's close). When I inspected the car when I bought it I knew the front pads had about 50% left and the rotors were fairly rusted (~2 years old). The rear drums were rusted like crazy and I never took off the wheels to inspect the shoes as the car was on ramps. The shoes actually had about 80% left on them.

I knew it needed a new drive belt and the control arms were rusted and the bushing were the originals and were old so i figured I'd replace all that before the winter. Keep in mind the bushing were not torn.

Before I brought it in to safety I wiped any of the leaks and cleaned it up. When I picked it up the result was as follows:

failed due to:
-torn rear wiper blade
-control arms needs to be replaced-torn puck bushing
-rear shoes need replacing, drums are recommended
-front rotors need to be replaced, pads recommended
-drive belt needs replacement.

I also found out you only have 10 days to get it all done or you have to pay another $124 (taxes) to re do the safety. i scrambled and ordered the parts from Rock auto to get it done in under 10 days. I question the guy at the car place about how I thought the bushings were fine and the pads were more then 25% left (as pert the requirement). That said, I was going to replace everything that needed to be done anyways so I didn't push the issue. His response was basically ya the push bushing is torn but was nice about it all.

After inspecting the old parts I found the following was complete bs:

-rear shoes have about 80% left on them
-control arm bushing were old but fine and not cracked.
-Front rotors were fine just rusted but only about 2 years old.

I got it checked over last night and it passed but I can't get the paper until the tech that inspected it is working. So tonight I'm going to get the paper and once I have it I'm going to bring in all of the parts to the shop and ask them how the hell they failed the safety.

I'll post back and let you all know how it goes and what they say but it was a complete money grab which they never ended up making any money since I did all of the work myself. It would have failed due to the wiper and drive belt but the other stuff should not have failed it.

Apparently the gov't is doing randoms audits now so shops are no longer willing to turn a blind eye and sign a pass. However in this case it was blatant false measurements made.

Thought I'd warn any of you looking to buy a car "as is" good deals can still be made but its just harder to pass a safety now a days.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
It is my understanding now that a resell must be essentially OE spec to pass.

Aftermarket exhaust = fail
Lowering springs = fail

The resonator delete that I just had done = fail. I wanted it either patched, or straight piped if patching was not possible. Patching was not possible and several shops would not remove it as that violates the new guidelines. One comment I received about the new standards was; 'it's almost as if the government wants you to buy new'.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
It is my understanding now that a resell must be essentially OE spec to pass.

Aftermarket exhaust = fail
Lowering springs = fail

The resonator delete that I just had done = fail. I wanted it either patched, or straight piped if patching was not possible. Patching was not possible and several shops would not remove it as that violates the new guidelines. One comment I received about the new standards was; 'it's almost as if the government wants you to buy new'.

im gone have closer look into this at work cos by the sounds of it anything on the road that is not stock will not pass, from lowered cars to raised Jeeps so i think all this has to be conditional pass...like i said will find out cos otherwise every car with mods fails.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #4
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
'it's almost as if the government wants you to buy new'.
I've been looking at this since they changed the emissions to a CEL reading. Cars are lasting longer so how does the gov't "boost" the big dealers?...by forcing used cars to make it near impossible/expensive to pass...all hidden in the name of safety of course.

Most 8+year old cars have a CEL on for something as simple as abs. Not worth the thousands to fix and the car still runs fine. If the e test was really about emissions then it would only apply to emissions related CEL's.

As for the safety, you have to fix so many small moot things that if you don't wrench your own car then it becomes uneconomical to buy a used "as is" car and you'll end up buying a new car. Rear windshield wiper rip? One fog light burnt out?...seriously

If a car is sold with a safety cert now a days it is either only a few years old or the cost will be proportionately higher then what it's worth because the owner had to put a bunch of $ into it to pass safety.

On just the safety parts I spent about $250 shipped from Rock auto. If I had to pay a shop to do it and pay local auto parts prices I'm well on my way towards $2k.

Like always, the more you know and the more you can do yourself you are able to take advantage of these new regulations that the vast majority of people get screwed on.

At the end of the day I paid $3100-$3300CAD for a car that now had a bunch of new parts on it and is very safe. The going price for a safety cert car was about $3500-3900 and that is obviously without brand new fluids and the extra parts I put into it that I installed.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I would love to see statistics whether or not this insane law actually makes it any safer to drive a car.

As Ive mentioned thousands of times before, here in NJ there is no inspection at all, ever! Only a check of the cars computer every two years to see if theres a code there.

Is that OK or are we living in a fools paradise with agonizing death just a trip to the store away?

Oh....just a statistic about what happens when you ignore published procedures.... the wifes 05 Camry has 134k miles on it now, is 12 years old almost exactly and has the original plugs still. It runs perfectly!

I let it go to 100k per the owners manual and they seized....impossible to get them out now.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #6
tmontague

It was never really about safety. You only need the safety cert when selling the car. if the car wasn't sold you could keep driving it with the floor falling out. This is the issue most people have about this

All this really hurts are the people who dont have/want to spend insane amounts of money on a hunk of steel on wheels that depreciates. (that said I very much enjoy my heavily modified hunk of steel on wheels)
Old 09-19-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Hmmm sounds like they dont want you buying a new car.

BTW I was thinking of moving to Canada whoever we elect as President but after reading about what winter does to cars there....no thanks I ll take my chances here...
Old 09-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #8
tmontague

so headed to the shop last night and received my safety certificate. I then proceeded to show the guy at the desk (I believe was a manager) the control arm bushings. Asked him to show me the supposed tear. After trying desperately to point out the said tear and me telling him that the natural open part of the bushing is not a tear nor is normal miniscule cracks on the surface of the rubber, he eventually stopped making excuses and admitted that the tech made a huge error. He also admitted that the rear shoes were in fact virtually brand new with their parts number still visible on them.

He told me he was going to keep the parts and have a meeting with the tech and question what the hell he was doing and likely fire him.

The guys was no doubt genuine and openly listened to my concerns, but I'm not naïve enough to actually think anything will get done.

So what likely happen is the tech lied about certain parts needing to be replaced so he could make a decent paycheck on the work, except that he never did any of the work because I did and I happen to know what worn parts look like.

With the new laws only the tech who did the inspection can sign off on it so I'm assuming that only that tech will likely be allowed by the shop to do that work.

The place is called CRS automotive on the corner of King and Lotridge
Old 09-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
The place is called CRS automotive on the corner of King and Lotridge
Write up a google review. They currently are at a 4.7 rating and by the sounds of your experience, need to be knocked down some.