Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-29-2016, 12:13 AM   #1
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
Unhappy Headlights not working on my Caldina, help pls!

Hi all.

I bought a 1993 Toyota Caldina 2.0 (4wd petrol) a couple of months ago as a kind of a project car to learn some automotive repair/maintenance on. She's a really tired car now and has few small issues here and there

So far the biggest issue is the headlamps have decided to stop working.
Both low and high beam do not work. I think it is intermittent, because once while driving they decided to turn on for a short moment.

I have checked and tested the relay that's under the bonnet labelled 'head' and it is fine.

What should I check next ? parking lights are fine btw.
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:18 AM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
You've checked for power at the bulbs?

Also, not sure on the wiring schematic of that car, so make sure there isn't a common ground point that's corroded or loose.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:40 PM   #3
JudgeM

Arrow

Power at bulbs all fine. I did a bit of more digging around, its a bit hard without a wiring diagram, I used 96 corolla diagram that's similar.

I think I've narrowed down the problem:

-Relay is good
-Dimmer switch is good
->Wiring between relay and Dimmer switch seems to be the problem. I grounded the point at the relay which is what the dimmer switch does and it lights up. I suspect loose connection in the engine room fuse box where the relay is located. I gotta go borrow some tools so I can open it up.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this car ? or something more similar like a Corona Wagon ?

Old 10-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
JudgeM

Fixed it

Upon further inspection, the relay coil was not getting its ground signal from the switch. So somewhere between the dimmer switch and relay coil there is an open circuit.

aint nobody got time to open up the hole car and trace the wiring so I just added my own wiring from the dimmer switch to the relay. Headlights working fine now

Tags
caldina, headlights