Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #19
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Next "big" vehicle will be a Subie outback
I'm not hearing or seeing good things with Subie reliability. I would have thought you would be happier saying with a Toyota, like maybe the Rav4?

My 'big' family car is a 2006 Camry. It has over 250,000 km on it and runs flawlessly, not even using any oil. You could also easily fit three child seats in the back if you wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhcchen View Post
there are recent news about the new Nissan micra and Honda wr-v...
The Micra has been around many years in Europe, and this one in North America looks pretty much the same as the one in Europe. Reviews say that it's noisy at highway speed.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #20
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
If Nissan would bring the Micra to the U.S., it'd likely be my next car. However, the Yaris, nearly 10 years old now, just keeps going and going. Plus it's only got 86,000 on it.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #21
tarkus

You don't have the Micra in the US? I've started seeing them around in Canada. Like I said, the reviews give it a poor rating for highway driving. I would never buy one. The Yaris is such a fun drive, and rock solid reliable too.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #22
joell

Drives: 2013 Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
If Nissan would bring the Micra to the U.S., it'd likely be my next car. However, the Yaris, nearly 10 years old now, just keeps going and going. Plus it's only got 86,000 on it.
They will need to offer something different than the 3 cylinder engines that Nissan anounced, probably the classic 1.6 from the Versa Note, because people complain about power.It seems like a nice car, made to change the model (like the thrid gen Yaris!) from the cute round design to something more aggresive with french touches from the Renault Clio.
It is planned to be assembled en Mexico like the next Kia Rio, that also is in process of a design change next year.
joell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #23
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by joell View Post
They will need to offer something different than the 3 cylinder engines that Nissan anounced, probably the classic 1.6 from the Versa Note, because people complain about power.It seems like a nice car, made to change the model (like the thrid gen Yaris!) from the cute round design to something more aggresive with french touches from the Renault Clio.
It is planned to be assembled en Mexico like the next Kia Rio, that also is in process of a design change next year.
In Canada, the Micra gets the 1.6 from the Versa.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:20 PM   #24
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
The basic 2016 (Canadian) Nissan Micra comes standard with the 1.6L and 5-speed transmission, 60/40 split folding rear seats, no A/C, no power package, but some surprisingly nice interior features... all for only CDN $9988. Yikes, that's only about US $7400!

I drove a 2015 Micra when I was in Montreal a couple of months ago, and it was a really decent and rather peppy little car. Yes, it has had some bad press about noise levels at highway speeds, but so too has the Yaris.

http://www.nissan.ca/en/cars/micra?n...card.vlp.image
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #25
tarkus

You know you want to move to Canada! 😀

Sent from my LG G2 with CM13 using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2016, 05:30 PM   #26
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
You know you want to move to Canada! ��

I'm actually a Canadian citizen and still own my house in Montreal... where we've always loved small cars!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #27
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
My echo is loud on the highway, too

Micra is nice...same features as my stripper Yaris

@illusion, you CAN fit 3 rear facing seats in a gen1 vibe/matrix...just can't buy Costco graco seats. We ran sunshine kids britax seats (iirc). Theyre narrow and safer. And a longer-than-normal life. You don't need a van or SUV or pickup
Old 11-16-2016, 08:48 PM   #28
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
You know you want to move to Canada! ��

After last week about half of US wants to too.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #29
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Chevy Sprint got upwards of 50 mpg back in the day. It was also a deathtrap, uncomfortable, and tinny. However, it does prove two things:

- People would buy "poverty spec" cars back then.
- With fewer safety/comfort/performance amenities, you could get better fuel economy.
There's still an enthusiast community around the old Suzuki Swift (The Sprint, and Geo Metro that followed, were rebadged Swifts). A guy I know has a small collection, one turbo 3-cylinder and two twincam 1.3L 4-cylinders.

These cars only weighed 1600 pounds, and man, they can haul. This guy drives around with this sticker in his back window, and this is in Arizona. He's got guts.

Yes, big trucks have the mass advantage in a crash, but we've come a long way from the tin cans of the previous century. Even Smart Cars take huge impacts amazingly well.

If I needed a lot of space, I'd wish for a wagon, but buy a minivan because no one sells wagons in this country. Contrary to apparently everyone, I feel less secure when sitting up high on the road. I like it down low.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote