Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
ChitownY@Ris

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan
Sedan REAR WIPER DIY???

Can't find a DIY on this. It's something I'd appreciate to do if parts and labor cost would be reasonable. Where would be the best and cheapest place to go about finding what I need, I'm guessing a: Wiper motor, arm, blade, wiring, and finally a switch?
How would I mount it, would it be possible to drill a hole into the rear glass, or on the trunk?
Not only would it be cosmetically cool, imo, but it would serve a purpose when it's snowing six inches sideways here in Chicago.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-23.jpg (134.0 KB, 223 views)
Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
of course you can't find a DIY noone did one yet....

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
ChitownY@Ris

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan
^Thanks. So....Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You can't drill that large of a hole in tempered glass, so to glass mount it, you would need a custom rear window with the hole drilled before tempering. The few sedan's that have had them have had window mounted ones:

Considering that a custom window is probably cost prohibitive, drilling the trunk would make sense, but you'd have to be sure that you could find a wiper that could handle the geometry of the trunk to window.

The wiring and switch would be the easy part.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I do often miss having a rear wiper after having them standard on most all of my previous rides (SUV, Van, Hatchback, etc)

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
mensajero

Drives: Yaris Sedan
has anyone resolved this problem. In the morning to get out is almost impossible to see what's behind you. Then, imagine stepping into the cold, cold, very cold morning just to clean the rear windows of my 2007 sedan. You might freeze to death or get hit by another blind dude with the same problem, no viability.
mensajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Do like everyone else does and use a scraper, if possible park the car in a garage, or put something over the rear window while you park it to prevent build up. There is no practical way to install a rear wiper and honestly what sense would it make? The rear defrost works pretty dang well if you give it a few minutes to warm up the glass.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #8
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensajero View Post
has anyone resolved this problem. In the morning to get out is almost impossible to see what's behind you. Then, imagine stepping into the cold, cold, very cold morning just to clean the rear windows of my 2007 sedan. You might freeze to death or get hit by another blind dude with the same problem, no viability.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Wax your windows and drive? The water/condensation will start to bead off, at least that's what happens with me. I haven't had to use my wipers at all this rainy season. However, you'll still won't be able to see much until the condensation actually beads off.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
david_827

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Do like everyone else does and use a scraper, if possible park the car in a garage, or put something over the rear window while you park it to prevent build up. There is no practical way to install a rear wiper and honestly what sense would it make? The rear defrost works pretty dang well if you give it a few minutes to warm up the glass.
+1 on this, although i would also love to have a rear wiper, the rear defroster does an awesome job,
david_827 is offline   Reply With Quote