Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-26-2018, 12:17 AM   #1
Spellino

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan
P0452 Error Code

Getting this error and other pending on my 07 Yaris Sedan. The error goes off usually after the first bar drops on the fuel guage. Also, when I'm buying fuel, the last 5 litres are painfully slow.

I would be glad if anyone could assist with how to correct this? Or at least an idea of what is happening?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181226_051321.jpg (195.6 KB, 98 views)
Spellino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
"painfully slow"
The filler handle keeps clicking off?
You have to squeeze handle just a tiny bit or fuel spills down the side of the car?

(not supposed to fill after the pump clicks off. Needs to be vapor space in top of tank for vent lines and evap system to work. Read owner's manual.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post

(not supposed to fill after the pump clicks off. Needs to be vapor space in top of tank for vent lines and evap system to work. Read owner's manual.)
Not that this is necessarily what the OP is doing, but I can confirm this is a no no. Before I was aware of this, I ruined a charcoal canister on the evap system of my Dodge grand Caravan; saturating it in gas. I cringe when I see people - a lot of them - doing this at gas stations, especially since replacing a canister can be so expensive and sometimes a lot of shop hours to pinpoint the actual evap issue.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
dogsridewith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellino View Post
Getting this error and other pending on my 07 Yaris Sedan. The error goes off usually after the first bar drops on the fuel guage. Also, when I'm buying fuel, the last 5 litres are painfully slow.

I would be glad if anyone could assist with how to correct this? Or at least an idea of what is happening?
Spellino: Favor to ask:

If overfilling has been the problem and all error codes go away simply w/ first click-off fills, kindly let us know here on YarisWorld. (Or what it does take to resolve the problem) Among other things, it would be good to know how robust our evap systems are.

Good luck and many thanks.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
Spellino

Quote:
"painfully slow"
The filler handle keeps clicking off?
You have to squeeze handle just a tiny bit or fuel spills down the side of the car?

Sorry but I have been away from internet for the past 5 days. While filling at the station, it keeps clicking off. So the guys at the station call mine a slow tank. So they always have to do exactly as you described. What happens is that at the very last 5 litres, it takes an even longer period to fill the tank.

What do you suggest I do?
Old 12-31-2018, 09:17 AM   #6
dogsridewith

Don't put in those last 5 litres.
(When were you finally stopping? When gasoline became visible in the filler neck?)

(Before the last 5 litres, the always "slow tank" could have something to do with something wrong with the vent pipe--skinny pipe next to the fill pipe. I think more likely something w/ the station pump's shutoff system.)
Old 12-31-2018, 09:52 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
This may be helpful, though maybe you've already seen it:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40581

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:33 AM   #8
Spellino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
This may be helpful, though maybe you've already seen it:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40581
Thank you. I think some of the suggestions there will help. I will have to look at it then and get back to you.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
dogsridewith

Toyota Yaris fuel filler pipe rollover valve EVAP charcoal canister slow over fill

A lot of bad/wrong explanations in that thread, but some good. I never heard of the rollover valve and am really glad to know now!
My own feeling at this point is that problems with the roll over valve or the vent pipe along the filler pipe are what can cause "slow fill." That tank fill-ups don't vent through the EVAP system. And overfilling will hurt the EVAP system. And having to dribble-fill a "slow tank" leads people to overfilling.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
Spellino

Quote:
A lot of bad/wrong explanations in that thread, but some good. I never heard of the rollover valve and am really glad to know now!
My own feeling at this point is that problems with the roll over valve or the vent pipe along the filler pipe are what can cause "slow fill." That tank fill-ups don't vent through the EVAP system. And overfilling will hurt the EVAP system. And having to dribble-fill a "slow tank" leads people to overfilling.
Wait. So where can I locate those two valves?
Old 01-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #11
Spellino

Quote:
Don't put in those last 5 litres.
(When were you finally stopping? When gasoline became visible in the filler neck?)

(Before the last 5 litres, the always "slow tank" could have something to do with something wrong with the vent pipe--skinny pipe next to the fill pipe. I think more likely something w/ the station pump's shutoff system.)
It's always in the filler neck immediately they start dispensing fuel. So they have be doing it patiently to not spill out fuel.

Last edited by Spellino; 01-11-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:35 PM   #12
dogsridewith

Quote:
Wait. So where can I locate those two valves?
What two valves? The only valve I've mentioned here is the rollover valve, which I didn't even know existed until this thread. Sounds like it is in the vicinity of where the filler pipe meets the fuel tank. If it was stuck closed, or near so, fuel would obviously back up in the filler pipe during fills.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #13
dogsridewith

Quote:
It's always in the filler neck immediately they start dispensing fuel. So they have be doing it patiently to not spill out fuel.
Have you stopped putting in the last 5 liters? Did any of the error codes turn off?
Old 01-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #14
Spellino

Quote:
Have you stopped putting in the last 5 liters? Did any of the error codes turn off?
I have ,on the last three fill ups, the codes are still showing up though. They do go off after driving for some time though
Old 01-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #15
Spellino

Quote:
What two valves? The only valve I've mentioned here is the rollover valve, which I didn't even know existed until this thread. Sounds like it is in the vicinity of where the filler pipe meets the fuel tank. If it was stuck closed, or near so, fuel would obviously back up in the filler pipe during fills.
Okay, thank you
Old 01-16-2019, 09:16 PM   #16
dogsridewith

Some cars had flaps near the top of the filler pipe that the spout of the station pump filler handle opened when inserted. This flap was a sort of check valve, which may have been mentioned somewhere in another linked thread.

Something is amiss and causing the slow fill.

If the codes go off after "driving some time," how about noting how many bars are showing on the fuel gauge and just filling to there on the next fill? There needs to be space in the top of the tank w/o fuel. Maybe more space than 5L.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #17
Spellino

Quote:
Some cars had flaps near the top of the filler pipe that the spout of the station pump filler handle opened when inserted. This flap was a sort of check valve, which may have been mentioned somewhere in another linked thread.

Something is amiss and causing the slow fill.

If the codes go off after "driving some time," how about noting how many bars are showing on the fuel gauge and just filling to there on the next fill? There needs to be space in the top of the tank w/o fuel. Maybe more space than 5L.
I don't see a flap there. There is a tiny hole I see that seem to be the mouth of a thin pipe that runs along the filler hose to the tank.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #18
Spellino

Yesterday I took off the filler tube at the tank. I inspected the tube and it didn't appear to have any thin in there blocking the fuel. I put my finger inside the tank k through where the tube meets the tank. I felt some resistance, like a plastic with a spring. I couldn't fully push it so I tried to do that with a long screw driver. However it wouldn't change its position. It would appear to be pushing in and came right back to the initial position. There was a gap under it though so I suspect there's nothing wrong there. I'm so confused and don't know what else to do.