Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
zuberio
Joined 3/08 ... really

Drives: '07 Sedan
DIY - Daytime Running Lights ('07 Yaris Sedan)

** This mod is based on CTScott's excellent DIY - Headlights off with the Ignition Switch **
(Indeed, this mod also borrows pictures and ideas from the above DIY)

What: This mod will have your low beam headlights always on when the ignition is on *except* when your high beams are active.

Why: I'm Canadian and have lived and worked in SoCal for the past 4 years. I also bought my Yaris when I moved to SoCal. I recently moved back to Canada and took my Yaris with me. Daytime Running Lights are required in Canada - thus the necessity that mothered this invention.

Legitimacy : My Yaris did not come with DRLs and I failed the Imported Vehicle Inspection because of it. After doing this mod, I passed inspection.

Disclaimer: Doing any work on your car can lead to something bad happening if you don't know what you're doing. Always read through and understand all directions *yourself* before proceeding. Proceed at your own risk!

Parts:

2 SPDT 5-pin vehicle relays

I used two 12 VDC Tyco 5-Pin Relay SPDT 20/30A (Formerly Bosch) available from parts-express.

1 Dual relay socket

I used the 12 VDC Dual Relay Socket For Bosch Type Relay available from parts-express.
YOU WILL HAVE TO REWIRE THE SOCKET PER THE BELOW DIRECTIONS

3 Tap Splice connectors (Blue 18-14 AWG)
2 Tap Splice connectors (Red 22-18 AWG)

? Zip ties
? Method of attaching the relays somewhere along the steering column (Adhesive Velcro?)

Tools:
- #2 Phillips Screwdriver
- Crimp Tool

Overview:
The headlight dimmer switch stalk activates the high(HU)/low(HL) beams by connecting them to ground(ED). This circuit creates a connection between HL and ED whenever the IGN line is active *but* breaks that connection when the HL line gets grounded.

0. Setup your dual relay socket wiring per this diagram.

1. Remove the lower steering column cover: Turn the steering wheel enough to expose and remove the two screws:

2. Remove the third screw, which is located beneath the steering column, by the tilt lever.

3. Locate the headlight dimmer switch connector and Scotchlock (blue) splice into the HU, HL, & ED wires with the wires coming off the dual relay socket from step 0. this picture is from CTScott's DIY, ignore the relay and heatshrink tubing.

4. Locate the pink wire coming off the ignition key and Scotchlock (red) splice into the IGN wire with the wire coming off the dual relay socket from step 0.

5. Remove the 'pull out pocket' (a.k.a. wallet/sunglasses box) located to the left of the steering column. This is where you'll find the blue wire that is the +12V power to the dome lighting. This wire is always hot, ignition active or not. Stotchlock (red) splice into the +12V Always wire with the wire coming off the dual relay socket from step 0.

8. Test.

7. Use zipties and velcro to clean up the hanging wires and dual relay socket before putting the pull out pocket and steering wheel column cover back on.

DONE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dual relay socket.jpg (12.0 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg tyco relay.jpg (8.0 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg dome light.jpg (183.4 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg ignition key.jpg (226.1 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg YarisHeadlightDimmerSwitchConnector diagram.jpg (49.4 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg YarisHeadlightDimmerSwitchConnector unplugged.jpg (289.4 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg DRL Relay Setup v2.jpg (12.2 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg DRL Relay schematic v2.jpg (5.0 KB, 350 views)