Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Lights indicate hatchback is ajar, but it is closed

A front dash light (red) indicates a door is open. And the small yellow light (driver's side) for illuminating the cargo space when the hatchback is open is on as well. So it appears that the car thinks the hatchback is open.

I've checked both of the doors and the hatchback and all seem to be tightly closed. The car is a 2008 Yaris 3 door hatchback with about 50, 000 miles and is about 5 years old.

Anybody have any similar experiences. Any ideas what I should do?

Thanks,

Bob
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There is a switch that detects that the hatch is closed. The switch is within the body of the latch assembly for the hatch. In the picture below the white connector, plugged into the blue one, is the connector for it:

Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
RMcG

Lights indicate hatchback is ajar, but it is closed. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks for your reply Scott. I first noticed this problem last night when it was dark. After reading your post about the switch, I went out and looked at the hatchback. I noticed that in broad daylight with the hatchback closed there was a gap between the hatchback and the car body. I opened the hatchback and then noticed that the rubber gasket for the hatchback was loose. That is, the gasket that goes around the opening in the car body that the hatchback fits into was loose and not completely in place. Specifically it was out of place at the bottom.

It took a little time and effort, but I worked the gasket back into place and that solved he problem.

Thanks Scott,

Bob

Last edited by RMcG; 05-08-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Title change
Old 05-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
RMcG

COULD WARM HATCH GASKET BE STICKING? Lights indicate hatchback is ajar

I think the gasket may have stuck to the hatchback door because of hotter weather. And I think this sticking may have pulled the gasket out of place.

Perhaps coating the gasket with some type of oil might prevent such sticking. Anybody have any comments?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcG View Post
I think the gasket may have stuck to the hatchback door because of hotter weather. And I think this sticking may have pulled the gasket out of place.

Perhaps coating the gasket with some type of oil might prevent such sticking. Anybody have any comments?

Thanks,

Bob
They are a dry gasket. If it is sticking it could be due to the gasket or the hatch getting something on it. Try just cleaning both with soap and water. If it still seems tacky after that, you could hit it with something like armorall.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
RMcG

Thanks Scott. Take care,

Bob
Old 05-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
The gasket on mine came out on the bottom though its not a hatchback but in the same spot and I found out it was due to me loading something large in the car and it rubbed against the bottom when i pushed it into the trunk and dragged the rubber out of place i had to push it back down. Something similar may have happend to you but may not have realized it.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ajar, closed, hatchback, lights