Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
johnwk

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
Vibration while stopped

Hi everyone. I've searched around a bit for information about this, but I have some pretty specific symptoms, so I'm hoping the answer will be obvious to someone.

My Yaris (automatic transmission) has 172k miles, and I changed the spark plugs around 167k. Around then, I started noticing that the car would vibrate a little bit while waiting at a light with my foot on the brake. It was pretty gentle, and it was easiest to notice when my turn signal was on, because the vibration would pulse at the same rate as the turn signals.

More recently (possibly related to the summer heat?), the car seems to be vibrating quite a lot while waiting at a light with my foot on the brake. (A passenger recently commented on how loud it was. It's almost as if a helicopter is flying a few hundred feet overhead.) As soon as I release the brake, or if I shift into neutral, the vibration stops.

I did some experimenting today. The vibration does not happen when the engine is still cold, but it starts after warming up. To my surprise, the primary source of noise turned out to be the hood vibrating. While the car is in drive, with the emergency brake on, I could silence nearly all of the noise by simply touching the hood with my finger. I stuck some rubber pads around the edge to dampen it.

Of course, something mechanical was causing the hood to vibrate, and dampening it didn't stop that. The vibrating is strongest when my foot is on the brake and the car is stopped. The final twist is that the vibrating completely stops when I turn on the air conditioner. (My AC system is all out of refrigerant, so I normally don't turn it on at all.) The fan isn't enough—the AC has to be on, too.

Summary: engine vibrates while stopped with my foot on the brake, and stops vibrating if I shift into N or turn on the AC.

If this is a problem an eager amateur with a few tools can fix, I would love to give it a shot. But if it's a major safety concern, or just a wild goose chase, that information would be useful as well. Thanks!

Last edited by johnwk; 08-24-2019 at 09:00 AM.
johnwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:00 AM   #2
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
I have no answer , but I have this same issue.....generally.
Doesn't vibrate while running if in park .......start moving and come too a stop light or sign , it starts vibrating. Hope we get an answer.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:52 AM   #3
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
So my understanding is that the vibration is not exclusively related to brake pedal functionality - in other words, you have other ways to make your car vibrate (as you mentioned - turn lights etc.).
If that is the case then you can try some "general cleaning" that may impact the idle RPM which are most probably the culprit here.
You have already changed the spark plugs, so next in line is cleaning up the MAF sensor, cleaning up the throttle body and changing the air filter.
They will not cure the primary issue but at least your idling revs will change slightly and that may be good enough for the vibrations to stop.

AFAIK there is no other way to affect idle revs and Yaris has the idling set quite aggresively and the vibration is natural for it.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #4
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
My yaris has been a little shaky at idle since it was brand new. The idle has always fluctuated a little. I test drove a few before I bought mine and they all did this.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
My Yaris' issue with shaking ( similiar to a low idle )..... only occurs when the engine is in drive and stopped at a stop light or similar. Air filter is clean and properly placed , MAF has been cleaned. Throttle body : does the Yaris use a motor to actuate the "butterfly"?.....hence, you'll damage that little , expensive motor if moving it by hand.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #6
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Frog13: do not move the throttle body manually! You need to put ignition to 1 (do not start the engine) and open the flap using the throttle pedal).
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 03:16 AM   #7
HarrisAfridi925

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
I have no answer , but I have this same issue.....generally.
Doesn't vibrate while running if in park .......start moving and come too a stop light or sign , it starts vibrating. Hope we get an answer.
Did we ever find out what causes this?? Mine vibrates at stoplights a lot, when stopped in Drive.
HarrisAfridi925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 11:26 PM   #8
fan_aLba

Drives: 2008 Yaris s
Yup mine does it too. I tried many things to fix it nothing works, i think once this engine gets up in miles it just gets more shaky. Only upping the idle would fix it but the cpu will compensate and lower it back down.
fan_aLba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 02:26 AM   #9
bairjo

I started noticing that the car would vibrate a little bit while waiting at a light ....
This has always been an option that is popular with the ladies...Oh wait. I was thinking of something else.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote