Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Do you feel ur Yaris shaking when waiting at red light?

just curious if you can feel the floor area where you place your feet(by pedals) - shaking when idling
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
when the AC is on... and when the exhaust hums a bit..... happens rarely, but I notice it.... could be another car next to you? Sometimes I find myself tapping my foot and that much of a movement can shake the whole car, hhaaha.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
My yaris does a lot of funny things, there's this very weird sound I keep hearing..creaking sound...learned to ignore it hehe

EDIT: Answer to question; I don't feel it.
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
when the AC is on... and when the exhaust hums a bit..... happens rarely, but I notice it.... could be another car next to you? Sometimes I find myself tapping my foot and that much of a movement can shake the whole car, hhaaha.
nope tested on a empty quiet place, not on a bridge/highway either

it shakes alright
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
Dude, thats for sure.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #6
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawesh View Post
nope tested on a empty quiet place, not on a bridge/highway either

it shakes alright
Maybe you're running 12030912930 lbs of torque.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:06 AM   #7
XYaris

Drives: '09 Yaris LB
shaking for sure

Having a tach installed helped me to immediately understand what the shaking is and that it is not a real issue.

When I idle at a light, in nuetral (5sp) but Im not pressing on the brakes the engine will be idling @ ~1000rpm. When I apply the brakes the rpms drop down to say 700 or so, causing a definite vibration. If I let up on brakes, the revs go slightly higher and the shaking goes away. The power brakes are parasitic to such a point on this engine that you can feel the engine adjust to running them. I could see this being a more continual feeling if you drive a automatic.

Anyway, this is the only vibration I have noticed in the car. Im not sure if thats what your referencing. The phenomenon I described seems totally normal and harmless to me.
XYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
chibipod

Drives: '09 3DR LB S MT Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYaris View Post
When I idle at a light, in nuetral (5sp) but Im not pressing on the brakes the engine will be idling @ ~1000rpm. When I apply the brakes the rpms drop down to say 700 or so, causing a definite vibration. If I let up on brakes, the revs go slightly higher and the shaking goes away.
That's odd - when mine's warmed up it will idle at 600rpm rock solid (with or w/out brakes applied). Haven't used the A/C much yet, but I'll see if that changes things. 1000rpm seems a bit high.

Doesn't shake, either.
chibipod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #9
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
yes , the '08 automatic does most of the time , worse on cold starts ( sits all night ) . This is without the A.C. that's used very little . Is a bit concerning . The '08 5 speed L.B. very seldom . Wonder if this is only for the automtics . Is yours an automatic that idles rough ?

Last edited by gid; 01-10-2009 at 03:56 AM.
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:00 AM   #10
mackie421

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYaris View Post
Having a tach installed helped me to immediately understand what the shaking is and that it is not a real issue.

When I idle at a light, in nuetral (5sp) but Im not pressing on the brakes the engine will be idling @ ~1000rpm. When I apply the brakes the rpms drop down to say 700 or so, causing a definite vibration. If I let up on brakes, the revs go slightly higher and the shaking goes away. The power brakes are parasitic to such a point on this engine that you can feel the engine adjust to running them. I could see this being a more continual feeling if you drive a automatic.

Anyway, this is the only vibration I have noticed in the car. Im not sure if thats what your referencing. The phenomenon I described seems totally normal and harmless to me.

Wow, I'll be installing my tach this weekend barring any weather related setbacks, and I'll definitely look for this once I get it working. I haven't noticed the engine to be revving any higher with the brakes on in neutral. I have noticed the engine rev a little higher for a few seconds randomly, regardless of whether or not the brakes are on.
mackie421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:38 AM   #11
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Never noticed any unusual shaking on idle..yet.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
XYaris

Drives: '09 Yaris LB
to clarify. The engine slows down when the brakes are applied, or when the fan is turned on as well but to a lesser extent. I have an '09 so I would imagine they tend to do it from day one. Its a subtle feeling and for the most part not worth mentioning because it is harmless, but it does cause cause a slight vibration. If this is the shaking the poster was mentioning, I think its a non-issue.

as for the rpms...i defer to your numbers mainly cause I dont feel like going outside and checking (say they drop from 700 down to 550). my point was that parasitic loss is more noticeable on these little engines and the drop in rpm that occurs when a demand exists causes a slight vibration.
XYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:08 AM   #13
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
It's normal. Don't worry.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
smofskra

Drives: 08 Flint Mica Sedan
Send a message via MSN to smofskra Send a message via Yahoo to smofskra
i feel my car shaking all the time but thats beacuse the stereo is up too loud
smofskra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #15
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Quote:
Originally Posted by smofskra View Post
i feel my car shaking all the time but thats beacuse the stereo is up too loud
hahahaha .............

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #16
saplaymate

Drives: 08' HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawesh View Post
just curious if you can feel the floor area where you place your feet(by pedals) - shaking when idling
Yes Yarises tend to become frightened around large vehicles, kinda like chiwawas!
Old 01-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #17
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by saplaymate View Post
Yes Yarises tend to become frightened around large vehicles, kinda like chiwawas!
the anxiety passes .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #18
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
I don't feel anything through the floorboards... but then again, I've got 2-3layers of sound mat all over my floorboards plus a layer of foam. Even before that though, didn't feel it.

The engine on our car is tiny, there shouldn't be much kick to it.