Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #37
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
LOL that pic makes my car look better than real life
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #38
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Well I posted after Ct displayed the pic. I don't know where it went. Anyway, They look great and I am looking forward to the write up.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #39
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
They are done and they look awesome. I'll post a write up soon, but in the mean time:

Attachment 42219
someone else get em and installed?
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #40
enviri

the install was so intense, it made ctscott shed blood lol
Old 06-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #41
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
the install was so intense, it made ctscott shed blood lol
really?? nothing is impossible for that man, how was it intense?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #42
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
someone else get em and installed?
Still Enviri. He swung by my house today and we wired up the turn signals. He had the remote control mirrors working, since they were pinned the same as the Yaris, but needed a hand getting the turn signals wired.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #43
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
really?? nothing is impossible for that man, how was it intense?
Rearranging some stubborn pins, I managed to have my pin extraction tool snap and jab about 1/4" deep into my finger tip. I was dripping blood everywhere. I had to make a compression bandage with electrical tape and paper towel to get it to stop.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #44
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Rearranging some stubborn pins, I managed to have my pin extraction tool snap and jab about 1/4" deep into my finger tip. I was dripping blood everywhere. I had to make a compression bandage with electrical tape and paper towel to get it to stop.
good god

dont u love it when stuff like that always happens.... at least to me anyways
Old 06-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #45
Klink10

Be sure to include photos with blood in your write up and for my reference can it be done without that particular tool....lol?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #46
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
Be sure to include photos with blood in your write up and for my reference can it be done without that particular tool....lol?
I think bloodletting will be part of the official DIY. On 09+ cars, one can save time (and donate blood) by using two extra wires in the mirror harness. On 08 and older cars a pair of wires will have to be run from the mirror connector through the flexible rubber boot that brings the wires into the door.

So, in the 08- world, pin removal is not necessary. In the 09+ world, the two extra pins have to be reversed. This can either be done by popping and swapping the two pins, or by simply snipping and reconnecting the two wires.

We did the drivers side door on his car with the pin swap method, and then I broke my pin extraction tool on the passenger side door, so we just did the snip and flip on that side.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #47
Klink10

Thanks CT. I think my biggest issue for the moment is trying to understand what from the original assembly must be intact to mate to the Yaris. In this case an 07 HB. I see some for sale off a 10 model XD but I can't be sure if the plastic connectors are damaged. What I see is the single connector I guess to make the mirrors function remotely but not any other wires to make them work ie: with power on and off. I guess I am asking are there more wires in there that I'm not seeing. Or maybe I should just wait for the write up. Might miss the deal though....ah well. Anyway, thanks again for your efforts.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #48
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
Thanks CT. I think my biggest issue for the moment is trying to understand what from the original assembly must be intact to mate to the Yaris. In this case an 07 HB. I see some for sale off a 10 model XD but I can't be sure if the plastic connectors are damaged. What I see is the single connector I guess to make the mirrors function remotely but not any other wires to make them work ie: with power on and off. I guess I am asking are there more wires in there that I'm not seeing. Or maybe I should just wait for the write up. Might miss the deal though....ah well. Anyway, thanks again for your efforts.

Door Connections:

There is a single 5-wire connector on both the Yaris and xD/xB mirrors. Three wires are used for the mirror movement and the other two are for the turn signal. On the Yaris mirrors, that connector only wires in 3 positions.

The picture below is of the Scion mirror connector. The red black and white wires are the motion wires (and they directly mate to the wires with the same functions {but different colors} on the Yaris).

The blue (ground) and yellow (+12 V) are the turn signal wires. Because the indicator is an LED, the polarity is important (i.e. they won't light if you reverse them). On the 06-08 Yaris, the connector on the door has no wires in the positions of the blue and yellow, so you must connect a wire to each and run it through the door, through the rubber boot, and into the car under the kick panel. You have to two wires, since the sheet metal of the door is actually not grounded to the rest of the chassis.

Mirror Connector - Wires.jpg

On the 09+ Yaris, there is a violet wire in the position of the blue mirror wire and a white/black stripe wire in the position of the yellow wire. These wires run through the door to the kick panel connector, and then dead-end at a junction connector way up under the dash. Since they save the hassle of running the two wires through the door, it is worth while to use them. The two wires have to be reversed at the connector though, since the white/black stripe wire is grounded at the kick panel.

In this picture of an xD mirror plugged into the connector on a 2010 the yellow wire (+12 to the LED) is connected to the white/black stripe wire (chassis ground). You can flip the blue and yellow wires by popping the pins or by simply cutting the wires and reconnecting them to the opposite wire (as shown in the second picture below):

Door - Connector.jpg

Door Connector - Blue and Yellow Wires Flipped.jpg

Kick Panel Connections:

Access the kick panel by simply pulling up the door skid plate and then pulling the kick panel cover straight back.

09+:

Connect a wire to the violet wire shown below on the drivers side (note that there are two violet wires on that connector, so insure that you are on the correct one). Run the wire up to the under dash fuse panel area.
Left Kick Panel - Violet Wire.jpg

Connect a wire to the violet wire shown below on the passenger side (note that the passenger side connector only has one violet wire). Run the wire under the dash across to the under dash fuse panel.
Right Kick Panel - Violet Wire.jpg

On the 09+ the ground connection is already complete with the connection of the blue wire to the white/black stripe wire.

06-08:

Run your door wires to the kick panel area. Connect the wire that is connected to the mirror's blue wire on either side to the 10mm ground bolt in the kick panel using a 1/4" ring terminal. Run the other wire on either side to under dash fuse panel.

Fuse panel Connections (all years):

Connect the left side wire to the light green wire in connector 4B-14.

Connect the right side wire to the dark green wire in connector 4B-31.

Fuse Panel Connections.jpg

Fuse Box-1024.jpg
Old 06-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #49
enviri

again, you can reference 08 and lower wiring with etimago's writeup too for more visuals

>> http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6447 <<

btw here's the yaris side mirror connector for reference

Last edited by enviri; 06-07-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #50
boggydee

Drives: 2009 yaris 4dr hb
hey guys im thinking of getting one on ebay... can anyone post one here a step by step of how to do this pls?? im new to this... i got an 09 hb
boggydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #51
Klink10

Well as soon as I find a cheap set I'll help you out. Been helped so far with alot of questions answered by CT and Enviri but will try and do a step by step with pics.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #52
enviri

did you get that one on ebay for like 65 bucks?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #53
Klink10

Not yet. I hope to have a pair in a week.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #54
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I picked up a right side one for $20 shipped. Now I just need to find a cheap left.