Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Good steering wheel lock for Yaris.

I am interested in getting a steering wheel lock for my Yaris. I live in an area with high car thefts as well as car break ins.

(I have one on my yaris right now .. but it doesn't work well as it rests on the horn and if a car thief would touch it at all .. the horn would start going off and potentially could be on for hours .. not making my neighbors very happy with me)

I have a 2007 Yaris 3 dr Liftback.

I came across this on Google ... and this is exactly what I am looking for. Something that will provide protection and not be prone to accidental activation of the horn. http://www.amazon.co.uk/BASEBALL-STE.../dp/B004QVBV8O

So do you have a steering wheel lock on your Yaris .. if so what type is it ? (I am looking for something I can get locally .. as I don't want to buy from the UK)

Last edited by edmscan; 08-12-2012 at 01:14 AM.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Just lock your steering wheel and get a brake lock. Your steering wheel can be cut easily, and the locking bar slipped off. The brake pedal is one of the strongest things in the car, so if they do go off with your car, they can't brake. I would say put it over the clutch, but the clutch can be cut, I think.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
solarVitz

Drives: 08 Yaris S Liftback
Send a message via AIM to solarVitz Send a message via Yahoo to solarVitz
Autolock is what I use on my car. It does keep my car safe from being stolen cause it locks the break pedal from using it...

Old 08-13-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Another vote for a brake lock ;)
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
edmscan

Thanks for the replies ... however I have been unable to exactly find what I am looking for. I spent the day running around to every conceivable place in town.

So .. after some deliberation I purchased a new steering wheel lock for my Yaris. It was 14$ on sale .. so didn't cost me that much.

I have tested it .. and it does not activate my horn, so I am good to go. I know it isn't the best solution .. but I have been unable to find a brake lock.

I could probably find a brake lock online .. but at this point I am fine with the protection I have now. The way I look at it ... if the criminal is going to carry around a hacksaw and cut my steering wheel, I will just have to deal with it. This is what insurance is for at this point.

The one thing I wish that my Yaris had was an immobilizer .. but I am not that lucky as I guess they became mandatory the year after my Yaris was made.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
I would say put it over the clutch, but the clutch can be cut, I think.
Yeah, you're correct; iideally, it should be on the clutch pedal because the clutch pedal has the starter interlock switch. BUT the clutch pedal is made of plastic and can be cut quite easily so you do need to put it on the brake pedal. Another thing is to put a switch on the clutch pedal starter interlock. A very simple inline kill switch.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #7
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
A very simple inline kill switch.
This is one thing I wish I could add to my Yaris ... but I am not mechanically inclined. I know how to check my oil, and add air to my tires .. yes that's about it. I know it is sad compared to the people on this forum, but it is the sad truth. So I just have to live with aftermarket things that I can easily add to my Yaris.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
Lux

Drives: NCP91
There can be easy additions/alternatives to security. You can pull the EFI relay. These wheel and brake locks are nice and make it harder to tow, but even after cutting those off, I doubt thieves are prepared to diagnose electrical faults in the EFI system in order to steal a car.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote