Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
newbie exhaust question...

Has anyone here installed a Weapon R exhaust header on a newer year Yaris than 07-08? I'd like to put one on my 2012, but obviously don't want to order something that won't fit. Thanks in advance.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
check this thread out. may help you. from what people are saying, yes, it does fit

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37386
Old 04-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
tooter
play every day

Well, it looks like I'll soon find out. Went ahead and ordered a Weapon R...

...and if it takes some tweaking to make it fit, so be it.

I specifically wanted the higher torque 4-2-1 Tri-Y design because its power gains are at low rpms, and I don't care about any potential power losses at the top end because in normal driving I never use it anyways.

I read the interesting archived exchanges with Leo from years ago and found them to be very entertaining... and hope that by how the kinks have all been ironed out.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
it would be awesome if you could do a dyno before and after especially on the low end, as in 2k rpms and up, where we would normally drive, to see if it really gets the low end.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
I think we have the same engine ... So I don't think it'll be a problem fitting the weapon t header to your 12 yarii .

I have the same header on my 08, had to trim the pipe a little to fit onto the nitto midpipe.
And since you have a new car , you can use the same donut gasket from the stock header onto the new one ...
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
tooter
play every day

The Weapon R website only lists it as only fitting 07-08, so yours fitting makes sense.

I contacted Weapon R and they couldn't say whether or not there were any changes in later years that made their header uninstallable. I also combed the internet for any information I could find, and it looks like no one has reported installing this particular header on any Yaris newer than 08... so I'll be the first.

You're right about the gasket. It should be pristine as the car only has a little over 100 miles on it. I want to change out the manifold before everything gets cooked and rusted into place.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
it would be awesome if you could do a dyno before and after especially on the low end, as in 2k rpms and up, where we would normally drive, to see if it really gets the low end.
Sorry, man... the engine isn't even broken in yet, so no balls to the walls dyno runs. However, I will be able to report on the gas mileage.

I did happen to find a pretty good deal on the header. Got the Weapon R stainless shorty 4-2-1 header from Bean Garage in Florida for $209, no sales tax, and free shipping.

I really like how it's designed. The firing order is 1-3-4-2 so each successive cylinder fires alternately in each half of the split header before combining in the main collector. the theory is that the pulse of the preceeding cylinder helps to scavenge the exhaust of the next cylinder to fire in the paired off tubes. Tri Y is a very old exhaust design and I believe that it has merit for specifically how I want to use the car.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #8
hellstang947

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Will it change the sound of the exhaust? Or is it just for torque? Cause it sounds like it's what I need, but I don't want a loud exhaust, I like how quiet the car is
hellstang947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #9
tooter
play every day

It's just for increased low end torque and better mileage and shouldn't make the exhaust any louder because the rest of the exhaust system remains totally stock. It's the cats and mufflers that absorb the sound.

I should get the header in about a week and will be happy to share info on how the installation goes, with pictures. :)
Old 04-26-2012, 04:40 AM   #10
ilikerice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Sorry, man... the engine isn't even broken in yet, so no balls to the walls dyno runs. However, I will be able to report on the gas mileage.
what? I ran my car less then 100 miles at an autocross event the weekend I bought my car.. at least 1 autocross event every month after that.. 30k miles later.. still runs like I just bought her.. These engines can take a beating..
Old 04-26-2012, 04:53 AM   #11
spocksleftball

Drives: 2011 yaris
I wonder if the stock exhaust will thwart the header gains? This is the main reason I havent looked at headers yet. I figure to optimize, you need a larger bore exhaust to help the header move air.
spocksleftball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
what? I ran my car less then 100 miles at an autocross event the weekend I bought my car.. at least 1 autocross event every month after that.. 30k miles later.. still runs like I just bought her.. These engines can take a beating..
I wouldn't argue over your point of how rugged the little 1.5 engines are, so it's just a difference of how we each use our vehicles. My approach is to follow the advice in the Owner's Manual.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #13
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocksleftball View Post
I wonder if the stock exhaust will thwart the header gains?
It might, but I don't believe so because the header torque gains would be at low rpms when the stock exhaust system is far below it's maximum capability. I'll be using gas mileage as an indicator of how well this approach works.

Quote:
This is the main reason I havent looked at headers yet. I figure to optimize, you need a larger bore exhaust to help the header move air.
That would be absolutely essential if you want more power at high rpms. It really suprized me how many really neato exhaust systems are available for these little cars.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #14
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstang947 View Post
Will it change the sound of the exhaust?
Don't know about the Weapon R, but people have reported louder in cabin exhaust sound with the DC.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #15
ilikerice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I wouldn't argue over your point of how rugged the little 1.5 engines are, so it's just a difference of how we each use our vehicles. My approach is to follow the advice in the Owner's Manual.
agreed
Old 04-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Don't know about the Weapon R, but people have reported louder in cabin exhaust sound with the DC.
I don't consider engine sound to be a negative.

I put headers on my Tacoma and it has this strange kind of harmonic hollow metallic whining sound when you step on the gas that's really cool.

Last edited by tooter; 04-26-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #17
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
ok then keep great track of your gas mileage. People have reported 1-2 mpg increases with the aFe intake from micro image.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
That sounds like a great option. I was looking into the DC, and Megan headers, but I'm looking for more low end also, I don't really care about top end power. Let us know how it goes after install :-)