Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
DevilzMafia

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Smooth idle but stumbles acceleration?

I'm running a Yaris 2007 sedan. It's been running great ever since I've bought it. This just happened randomly today that the car would idle fine, no knocking or any of that sort, but as soon as I press the accelerator (even on neutral), the car stumbles, starts turning off, etc it's like its being chocked and the RPM barely goes above 2-3K when flooring it.

So far what I've checked is that it isn't the ignition coils, or the plugs, or even the MAF. I'm not sure if there's any other fuel sensor that I should check in this ride that would be the problem?

Any help would be appreciated guys, thanks!

Edit: Forgot to mention that the engine check light is also illuminated, well obviously.

Last edited by DevilzMafia; 08-20-2013 at 12:25 AM.
DevilzMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:12 AM   #2
bairjo

Well if the check engine light is on, start by finding out what the error code is telling you. You can do this by taking it to an autozone and they will pull the codes for you. That would be a good starting point. But it sure sounds like a plugged converter...
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
DevilzMafia

Thanks for the info man, I think that must be it. As compared to a few days back, there's hardly any flow in the exhaust coming out.

I know its a tough job to get them both out, how much do you think the labor may be for it?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
DevilzMafia

So I decided to take the ride in for the check-up, phoned Autozone before hand and they were good to go, but my ride couldn't go above 10KM/h, any more gas and the engine would start turning off and like that.

So my journey was less than 2 mins from the house, as I couldn't go any further, so now thinking of what to do next.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Check the intake tubing, especially around the ribbed areas. Might be a tear/hole/crack somewhere on it, leading to too much air flow in when accelerating??? Probably not it, but it's an easy check.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:11 AM   #6
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzMafia View Post
So I decided to take the ride in for the check-up, phoned Autozone before hand and they were good to go, but my ride couldn't go above 10KM/h, any more gas and the engine would start turning off and like that.

So my journey was less than 2 mins from the house, as I couldn't go any further, so now thinking of what to do next.

you can go purchase a gadget at autozone that you can plug in and find the codes yourself. I use my scangauge II.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Does it sound like a turbo WRX when you hit the gas? I occasionally suffer from faulty coil packs that I bought off ebay...luckily the distributor is local so I keep a spare in the car, swap it when it fails, and go get a new one. It's a pain in the ass, I should have just spent 100.00ea on the Denso packs instead of >25.00.

The result is heavy bogging, no acceleration and that deep rumble from the engine misfiring.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
DevilzMafia

So I finally was able to reach Autozone, get the codes checked and three different codes popped up. But as I was leaving autozone, the car was fine again, except that the check light was still there (but I reset that when I came home) and it didn't come on again.

A night before this happened, it poured down here in Florida and I really did go in some puddles, so my guess is that some water went in some sensor or somewhere which made it act all up.

Hopefully it shouldn't happen again, but if it does, then I'll most probably be changing a few sensors that came in the code readings. Thanks for the help guys, but this is not just it.

A few months back I installed a new rear wheel bearing that I got off ebay as my old one made some noise. So everything was alright until the ABS light came on. Instead of taking it off and shipping it back to the seller, I thought that I'd just change its ABS/Speed sensor with a new one or the old one of my previous bearing.

Now my only question is that how do I take it off? (the ABS/speed sensor) I'm thinking of putting it in a vise and removing it like that. If anyone else has done it, then do let me know, thanks.