Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
1litre

Drives: Yaris 1.0 05
Performance mods for a yaris 1.0, 05, UK?

Hi,

I'm just getting my brothers yaris passed down to me, it's a 1 litre yaris, 05 - UK.

It's obvious I won't be able to get a huge performance increase out of a 1 litre, however, i am looking to get a bit more out of the engine, as I know it can do a bit better.

I am thinking of getting new iridium spark plugs, an air induction kit and a panel filter.

Is there anything else that you guys could recommend?
1litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
yaris 2sz
www.yarisclub.gr

Drives: yaris 1.3 2sz - 1.33 1nr
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1litre View Post
Hi,

I am thinking of getting new iridium spark plugs, an air induction kit and a panel filter.
they are worthless...
maybe better suspension if it's necessary
yaris 2sz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
+1

Let the car happily be what it is...
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Well, I'm pretty sure the principles are the same whether the engine is 1L or 4L. A better suspension is not going to get ANYTHING more out of your engine... It will make driving it feel better though :-)

As I said, the same basic principles apply, so things like a cold air intake, lighter pulleys, a bigger exhaust, will free up some poneys. On the other side, also try reducing weight and that will improve acceleration; leave home anything that you don't really need to carry around.
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
Panel filter + new intake doesn't mix. I haven't seen an intake yet that didn't replace the filter.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
1litre

thanks for the replies,

I am more looking to make the car quicker rather than top end speed, so I would think changing the exhaust system might effect lower down power?

Some people are telling me that it's not worth it on a 1 litre, that i wont see anything noticable in the performance...is it worth changing the plugs and air intake?
Old 08-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure the principles are the same whether the engine is 1L or 4L. A better suspension is not going to get ANYTHING more out of your engine... It will make driving it feel better though :-)

As I said, the same basic principles apply, so things like a cold air intake, lighter pulleys, a bigger exhaust, will free up some poneys. On the other side, also try reducing weight and that will improve acceleration; leave home anything that you don't really need to carry around.

You are right... but how much of an actual gain would you expect with the requested mods in that 1.0? I don't know but it's maybe 75hp stock? Seems like a tough place to start...
Old 08-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
is it worth changing the plugs and air intake?

I'm sure someone here knows for sure...

bump
Old 08-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
thanks for the replies,

I am more looking to make the car quicker rather than top end speed, so I would think changing the exhaust system might effect lower down power?

Some people are telling me that it's not worth it on a 1 litre, that i wont see anything noticable in the performance...is it worth changing the plugs and air intake?
I'm sure it's worth changing the air intake. As for the spark plugs, it won't make a difference on that engine.
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:31 AM   #10
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
Lighten the car, throw out everything you don't need inside it. I'd think you'll get more performance gains that way rathet than finding ways to coax more power out of that 1.0 liter engine :)
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:28 AM   #11
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
If you are really serious you could change the engine and gearbox to a 2nz-fe or a 1nz-fe , just another option for you .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
The best advise:

Put away all the money that yor saving in gas and start saving for another car more tuner friendly.

You are probably making over 50miles per gallon with the 1L engine... Save that money and in a couple of years you will be able to get a better car.

The 1L is great for what it is...

Just think about it:

Exhaust, Intake, better plugs, header will run you $500 and you will gain 5-7hp on an engine that is making what 60hp? You will barely feel the improvement...
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #13
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
The best advise:

Put away all the money that yor saving in gas and start saving for another car more tuner friendly.

You are probably making over 50miles per gallon with the 1L engine... Save that money and in a couple of years you will be able to get a better car.

The 1L is great for what it is...

Just think about it:

Exhaust, Intake, better plugs, header will run you $500 and you will gain 5-7hp on an engine that is making what 60hp? You will barely feel the improvement...

+1
Old 08-26-2009, 07:45 AM   #14
N3misiS

Drives: Yaris T1 1KRFE
Hey Bro,

Do not let these guys get you down just caus it is a 1 Lt, Here in SA we do everything!
Nobody does it like we do...

except Japan :)

I have the 1KRFE 1Lt Yaris 2008, and I got quite a kick out of it.
I am getting around 90Hp, I have done Headers, Exhaust, Intake only,

I would love to come proof it there, I have had many races with Citroen C2 Vtr (1.4) Ford Ka, Fiesta's (not ST), Polo 1.4 , 1.6 , even te 2L and still manage to kick ass!

There are may things you can do, my next upgrade is a Turbo, boosting around 6 t0 7 psi, ECU map, and Water cooled intercooler with the turbo, and that is not even going to brake the bank,

as far as looks, setting up 15" mags and dropping the car around 30 to 40mm will really give it another look.

if you have the cash there is a Rotex supercharger to but it is expensive!

Do not give up hope!

I love my car!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #15
2bad4u

Drives: 06 Toyota Vitz RS
here here
2bad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #16
N3misiS

Drives: Yaris T1 1KRFE
One more tip, I fitted a K&N Filter, a flat Pad, it works way better than a Cone or any induction kit I have tried...

It is quiter but hey... it is the performace we need, what we can also do is add a pipe of some sort from the inle for the intake to the grill or something so that we really can make the best of the filter....
Old 08-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #17
1litre

I spoke to a mechanic that used to work at toyota and he confirmed that changing the plugs will increase the performance, as well as putting in a cold air intake. I am thinking of getting a BMC CDA

Changing the entire engine isn't what i plan to do, I believe that the 1 litre can get a lot out of it by reducing the cars overall weight.

The kerb weight is around 970kg right? So if i take out the back seats that should take off a few kg, how much KG's can I shed simply from stripping the car out?

I was going to spend 2k on a second hand car, but seeming as im getting this car, i want to do a few things to it just for the kicks.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #18
fei

Drives: Yaris
I am running on denso iridium tough spark plugs and i do not feel any difference in the power of the car except that these plugs can last longer.

Like most of them said, u can tried to lighten up you car to get better response.
I have recently change to lighter sports rims which i can really feel an increase of the car's pick up and response.
fei is offline   Reply With Quote