Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #19
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
what is an "off valve?"
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #20
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
what is an "off valve?"
Pretty sure that was an autocorrect from PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation)
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #21
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by madtv261 View Post
I am not experiencing any kind of odor or smoke of any kind.
This part doesn't make sense if it's actually burning oil.

Sent from my phone with Tapatalk. Please excuse any typpos.
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:05 PM   #22
jefferelli

Drives: 08 Yaris HB
Before paying someone to investigate further I would go ahead and try a new PVC valve yourself, I am guessing they cost around 10 bucks at Napa... Maybe double at a dealer :-) . Even without much experience, You can probably replace it yourself as there is not much to it. You can watch a video here. I think this site allows youtube links. If not just search for yaris pcv replacement or something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VikC_7NlIy8

I would still check again for burning oil. Have someone stand behind your car when you first start it up in the morning. You may see a quick puff of smoke once in a while that only happens on startup. That would lead me to believe its possibly your valve guides wearing.

Also have someone drive behind you.. If they see some smoke while driving this could point to being rings. But as mentioned before, a compression/leakdown test is good for really verifying that.

But either way... I would try the PCV valve first as its the cheapest. If that didn't work and since you are planning on getting a new car in the future, If it were me, i would just keep the oil topped off until I got the new car. Doesn't sound like it is hindering the performance or the way it drives at this point. This is assuming you are not keeping the yaris once you get a new car. So might not be worth the 1.5k to 2k investment of a new engine if you plan on getting rid of it in a few months.
jefferelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:49 PM   #23
jra

Drives: 2015 yaris L
Don't know how fast you are using oil, but if it was using it really bad it would be smoking out the tail pipe. These cars only hold a little less than 4 qts. I would replace the pcv valve, they aren't to expensive and can be changed in 5 or 10 minutes, check your oil every day, write your mileage down when you add oil so you will know about how many mile you can drive before it needs more. When you park overnight, try to park where the pavement is clean, then in the morning when you move the car look where it was sitting to see if there is any oil on pavement. Next time you have to add a qt. of oil, put a qt. of lucas oil stabilizer in it instead of oil, could slow the oil loss down and help with blow by. You can buy a lot of oil for $2000 dollars, I would just keep it full of oil and drive it, if bites the dust before you get your next car, just have a junk yard engine put in. These cars have aluminum blocks and it may need a new block, never know what you will find when it's taken apart, $2000 overhaul could end up being $4000 once they get into it.
jra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #24
jra

Drives: 2015 yaris L
Just another thought on your car. It could possibly have so much sludge on top of the cylinder head that the oil can't drain back down into the oil pan, would have to remove the valve cover to see.
jra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #25
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
This part doesn't make sense if it's actually burning oil.
makes a lot of sense considering a cat converter. belching clouds of smoke won't show up until one burns way more than qt/400 miles.

the OP didn't provide his oil burn number yet.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:09 AM   #26
ncp13

Drives: 01 Yaris TS
Not even 1 liter / 1000km shows clouds of blue smoke..

Check the condition of your engine to figure out if your oil consumption is from worn piston/rings/cylinder, valve seals .

Compression test , leak down test , pull a spark plug and see inside or on the spark plug for heavy oily residue.

Thick oil is just a temporary bandaid and might work for an engine with loose tolerances .

good luck.
ncp13 is offline   Reply With Quote