Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
iwantayarisnyc
 
Drives: 08 sedan auto
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 90
Longest time you left your Yaris engine running

i just got locked out today, thanks to the aftermarket alarm.

1 hour 30 minutes, the engine was running in 35 F weather, with wind chill making it feel 28F

not gooooood..............engine feels different now.....
iwantayarisnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER
 
ROCKLAND TOYOTA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ROCKLAND COUNTY NY
Posts: 2,099
1 hour 20 minutes during the summer with lights and a/c on full blast. has to blast out side vent window in order to get in........
__________________
http://rocklandtoyota.com/IFrame.aspx?iFrameID=2388

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
PetersRedYaris
 
PetersRedYaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Black Hills of South Dakota
Posts: 1,061
LOL, you could leave the engine running for a week straight and it probably wouldn't hurt it. If you think you can feel a difference after 1.5 hours, it's in your head...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
iwantayarisnyc
 
Drives: 08 sedan auto
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
1 hour 20 minutes during the summer with lights and a/c on full blast. has to blast out side vent window in order to get in........
lol hardcore, how come no AAA, etc?
iwantayarisnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
iwantayarisnyc
 
Drives: 08 sedan auto
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
LOL, you could leave the engine running for a week straight and it probably wouldn't hurt it. If you think you can feel a difference after 1.5 hours, it's in your head...
are u sure......engine idling is no good though........
iwantayarisnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
lita_g
 
lita_g's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 270
And that's why I never leave the car running and close the door behind, unless I crack open a window. Call me paranoid but I would freak out if I got locked out of my car.
lita_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
PetersRedYaris
 
PetersRedYaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Black Hills of South Dakota
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantayarisnyc View Post
are u sure......engine idling is no good though........
We should call myth busters on this one...

On modern cars, it's no good only in that it's wasteful (in terms of gasoline).

The old myth was related to oil pressure not being high enough to protect the engine at low speeds. This doesn't really apply to todays engines.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
iwantayarisnyc
 
Drives: 08 sedan auto
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by lita_g View Post
And that's why I never leave the car running and close the door behind, unless I crack open a window. Call me paranoid but I would freak out if I got locked out of my car.
yup know the feelin', aftermarket alarm that locked itself in 3 seconds.

well, my fault though cause i totally forgot about that. I planned to start the car and run down to my apt to get something

then it hit me

a door edge full of scratches(caused by yours truly) and bumps and 55 bucks to join AAA
iwantayarisnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER
 
ROCKLAND TOYOTA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ROCKLAND COUNTY NY
Posts: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantayarisnyc View Post
lol hardcore, how come no AAA, etc?
wallet and phone were also inside and i was in the bronx by 233rd....
__________________
http://rocklandtoyota.com/IFrame.aspx?iFrameID=2388

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #10
1NZYaris1
 
1NZYaris1's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,594
Thats why , you should get keyless entry from the factory ,
the car cannot and will not lock if keys are in ingnition.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #11
iwantayarisnyc
 
Drives: 08 sedan auto
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
wallet and phone were also inside and i was in the bronx by 233rd....
rofl, isn't there pretty safe area? i haven't been to that part.
iwantayarisnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #12
iwantayarisnyc
 
Drives: 08 sedan auto
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
Thats why , you should get keyless entry from the factory ,
the car cannot and will lock if keys are in ingnition.
how much would it cost?

this aftermarket alarm came with the car when i bought from private owner

i don't even know what brand this is.

also, i have no factory power locks and no power windows
iwantayarisnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
iwantayarisnyc
 
Drives: 08 sedan auto
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
We should call myth busters on this one...

On modern cars, it's no good only in that it's wasteful (in terms of gasoline).

The old myth was related to oil pressure not being high enough to protect the engine at low speeds. This doesn't really apply to todays engines.
thanks you guys made me feel less stress
iwantayarisnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #14
jambo101
 
jambo101's Avatar
 
Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 1,291
I've noticed when using the button on the key to unlock the doors that after a while the doors will relock all by themselves ,any chance of the car locking you out when you have the keys in the ignition but dont lock the car door?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
iwantayarisnyc
 
Drives: 08 sedan auto
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've noticed when using the button on the key to unlock the doors that after a while the doors will relock all by themselves ,any chance of the car locking you out when you have the keys in the ignition but dont lock the car door?
huh....
iwantayarisnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #16
thebarber
daily driver
 
thebarber's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 echo RS
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 5,627
id imagine driving for a long time on the highway is worse than idling for an hour and a half....

ive done fredericton to ontario a couple times w/ stopping for gas and food....thats 15+h

thepoche drove from montreal to laguna seca last month....that was like 9000miles round trip....
__________________
thebarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:18 PM   #17
YarTrek
Aygo Crazy
 
YarTrek's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Blazing Blue LB MT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've noticed when using the button on the key to unlock the doors that after a while the doors will relock all by themselves ,any chance of the car locking you out when you have the keys in the ignition but dont lock the car door?
No, once you open a door the auto-relock feature of the keyless entry is disabled. How smart that computer!

Last edited by YarTrek; 12-08-2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: sp
YarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #18
iwantayarisnyc
 
Drives: 08 sedan auto
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
id imagine driving for a long time on the highway is worse than idling for an hour and a half....

ive done fredericton to ontario a couple times w/ stopping for gas and food....thats 15+h

thepoche drove from montreal to laguna seca last month....that was like 9000miles round trip....
well you got the wind blowing through the car.......it relatively cools it down....now if you spent most of that time in traffic....that would be bad
iwantayarisnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEWS: TOYOTA REVEALS ALL-NEW YARIS SEDAN AT 2006 LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW VitzBoy General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 5 09-05-2010 08:53 PM
2007 Yaris Pricing Info ! YarisBueller New YARIS Purchase Forum 104 06-24-2009 04:54 PM
retrofit time as soon as I get my yaris birdy General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 15 05-02-2006 05:46 PM
engine modify Yaris D-4D uraz Performance Modifications 10 04-30-2006 11:53 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:42 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.