Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
eskiepeskie

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3
Wheels slipping when hard lock turning - dealer says this is normal?

Hi there, hoping someone can help me. I had a search and couldn't find any related posts but I'm not really sure what I should be searching for to be honest!

I bought a used Toyota Yaris 1.3 (2007) about 7 weeks ago from a Toyota dealer. It came with a 60 day warranty - I had to return it to them to have the front suspension arms replaced as the bushes were cracked. They covered this under the warranty.

After getting it back from having the suspension arms replaced I have noticed some strange behaviour when turning at very slow speeds, it only happens when I have the hard lock on so as this doesn't happen all that often I can't really say whether it was doing it before or not.

If turning with the hard lock on I can feel the car judder or shake and also feel it through the steering wheel. I've also had someone look at the car when I am turning and they can also see the car visibly shake. This happens when I am turning left or right.

It feels similar to the sort of feeling you get when turning on ice - as if the wheels are slipping. It feels like I don't have proper control of the car. But it only happens when turning very slowly - normal driving everything feels fine.

I took it to the dealer again to have it looked at and they have told me they have checked out everything (suspension, steering etc) and everything looks fine. When I demonstrated the problem to them they said "oh that's normal!" and said that in newer toyotas when turning more power is put in to the lighter wheel (I think he said when turning left, more power would go to the left wheel) to help with turning and this is what it happening with the juddering.

I was hoping someone could confirm if this is indeed the case? I can't find anything on google about it and I am concerned that they are just trying to palm me off since I am on the last week of my warranty! Any help would be much appreciated :)
eskiepeskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That is definitely not a normal behavior, as none of my 3 Yaris (2x2008, 1x2009) do it. Maybe the bump stops are not properly adjusted, so the tires are catching on the wheel well at full turn.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
eskiepeskie

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3
Thanks, I didn't think it sounded normal behaviour.

My dad has a Yaris too, though its a year younger than mine - I've asked him to try out tonight on his turning with the wheel turned fully to see if it happens to his too.

If not I think I will take it to another garage and have them see if they can see what's wrong and then get in touch with the toyota garage again. Problem is I am away from home for work at the moment and when I get back I will be outside my 8 week warranty. Just hoping that the fact that I already took it to them with this problem within the 8 week warranty will cover me.

Thanks for the reply :)
eskiepeskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
If the front toe is incorrect you can get these sort of issues. You will notice a dragging, or shudder while turning tightly at LOW speeds. As in, pulling into a parking spot speeds at full lock. If you are going too fast for the corner almost any car will do this to some degree. I would suggest having your alignment checked, although it definitely should have been done after the work you had done.
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote