Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
gabriel2012

Drives: 2011 Base Sedan
Got rear ended by someone texting and driving. Thoughts?

Yesterday as I was stopped at a traffic light to make a left, I look in my rearview mirror and I see this woman looking at her lap, thats when I knew I had it coming and my sedan got mauled.

Do you guys think its worth fixing or will it hit the crap yard? Her insurance is going to be working with me during the week but I'm not sure if its fixable.

Last edited by gabriel2012; 08-30-2015 at 09:06 PM.
gabriel2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
Is it repairable? Yes.

Is it worth repairing? Depends. Be sure to get three estimates from body shops you find, not just the insurance company's favorite. And insist on genuine Toyota parts, although used parts may be all you get for some things.

Also request the decreased value of the car -- now that it's been in a major accident, it's worth less, even after being repaired.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
gabriel2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Is it repairable? Yes.

Is it worth repairing? Depends. Be sure to get three estimates from body shops you find, not just the insurance company's favorite. And insist on genuine Toyota parts, although used parts may be all you get for some things.

Also request the decreased value of the car -- now that it's been in a major accident, it's worth less, even after being repaired.
Yeah I need to wait until monday, the other driver's insurance company is so small that to talk to a human I must wait until Monday. the thing that has me worried is the frame bar that got bent, if its repaired I'm not sure it would take another impact this severe.

any sites where I can get an estimate of the cars decreased value?
Old 08-08-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Theres people who take cars like your get them for cheap and fix them up and sell them.

I worked for a rent a car business in the 70s that was self insured. My boss had the wrecks repaired and gave them to his family to drive. Or sold them without disclosing the repairs. You could do that in 79.

I myself bought a 78 Subaru Hatchback 4 wheel drive that was rolled and self repaired by the owner. $500. The car had 5k miles at the time of the wreck and ~20k miles when I bought it. (1982) It was painted yellow it looked like with a paint brush. But it didn't leak everything worked and it ran great! I was living in upstate NY at the time with a 60 mile round trip commute downwind of Lake Ontario. (lots of snow) I put another ~50k miles on it and gave it to a friend who needed a car. He drove it off and on another 10 years.

Great car for a great price!

So don't give up on yours too quick!

Last edited by bronsin; 08-08-2015 at 07:57 PM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
gabriel2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Theres people who take cars like your get them for cheap and fix them up and sell them.

I worked for a rent a car business in the 70s that was self insured. My boss had the wrecks repaired and gave them to his family to drive. Or sold them without disclosing the repairs.

I myself bought a 78 Subaru Hatchback 4 wheel drive that was rolled and self repaired by the owner. $500. The car had 5k miles at the time of the wreck and ~20k miles when I bought it. (1982) I put another ~50k miles on it and gave it to a friend who needed a car. He drove it off and on another 10 years.

Great car for a great price!

So don't give up on yours too quick!
I got a call from one of the top shops in the area after emailing them, they arranged to pick up the car on Monday and deal with the other persons insurance. He said theres around a 70% chance of it getting totaled but the insurance adjuster would make the call when he/she arrives in the body shop.

So hopefully I'll have an answer this week, it kinda blows that this happened due to mainly taking good care of the car and it being so reliable. If something does happen, I'm getting another yaris, I just love these cars.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
My bet is that it will definitely be totaled, as there is structural damage.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #7
gabriel2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
My bet is that it will definitely be totaled, as there is structural damage.
I kind of figured, When the body shop and insurance get together tomorrow I'll know. She only had 37k miles

If it gets totaled I'm looking into buying a 2012+ HB, I rented one a few months ago and enjoyed it. I know you have the old body Scott but is there a notable difference besides the body?

I know the engine is the same and the interior changes. Here in SF there are a ton of rebuilt ones but a couple of decent ones with clean titles.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #8
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
The same basic thing happened to me in my 2000 Honda Accord back in 2011, but I don't think she hit me quite as hard with her SUV. It was repaired though, and not totaled. I really hate stupid/selfish drivers. Euthanize them all!
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #9
gabriel2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
The same basic thing happened to me in my 2000 Honda Accord back in 2011, but I don't think she hit me quite as hard with her SUV. It was repaired though, and not totaled. I really hate stupid/selfish drivers. Euthanize them all!
I'm telling you man, I was going to make a left turn and when I looked at the rearview mirror all I had time for was to say ***** and take the hit.

The car that hit me was a....smart convertible. had it been a regular size car/truck I'd be in the ER right now.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #10
mimelio

Drives: NOTHING
I happened to me also

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54994
mimelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:14 AM   #11
bronsin

As a motorcyclist Im hyper aware of whats behind me at intersections when I stop. I try to limit my riding to deserted rural areas or long distance trips through unpolulated country. I AVOID in town traffic.

Buy even watching the rear view most of the time theres not a lot you can doing about drivers at your 6. Things happen fast and usually there no where to go.

PS Im watching my post count go to 3000 and hoping I get my sixth star when it does!
Old 08-12-2015, 09:43 PM   #12
gabriel2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimelio View Post
My goodness people seriously need to put their damn phones away for a few minutes.

$3600 and your HB "looks" in better shape than mines! I'm guessing mines will be a $5000+ job and at that point it will be totaled.

I'm dealing with the worst insurance company(the other driver's). United Auto from Texas. The reps are rude and never answer. I'm out of pocket for a rental right now $200 a week just hoping to get reimbursed and the car is sitting at a body shop un driveable while these guys get their stuff figured out. They are still waiting for the police report and that can take up to 7 business days according to Miami Shores PD.

At least I got a 2015 Ford Focus with a slipping transmission, they swapped it out for a Mazda MX5 at no cost and its a pleasure to drive
Old 08-13-2015, 05:57 AM   #13
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel2012 View Post
At least I got a 2015 Ford Focus with a slipping transmission, they swapped it out for a Mazda MX5 at no cost and its a pleasure to drive
Take your lumps on the Yaris and get a Miata! Yeah!

Just my 02.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:41 PM   #14
gabriel2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Take your lumps on the Yaris and get a Miata! Yeah!

Just my 02.
I love the Miata! Its a manual and is really peppy. I just hope that when I call to renew the rental on Sunday they don't ask me to exchange it
Old 08-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #15
gabriel2012

So the other persons insurance gave me the run around, had to end up making the claim with GEICO, the sent out an adjuster and he said its a $5,000 job but it was not going to be totaled since it didn't meet the the requirements in terms of cost vs value of the car.

I obtained information from two body shops (mines and geico's) and they said the repair can be done safely. I'm still concerned about that bar being bent but they say its replaceable (I'm trying to find diagrams to see if its even true)

at least I got the whole process started, lets see what happens now.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #16
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel2012 View Post
So the other persons insurance gave me the run around, had to end up making the claim with GEICO, the sent out an adjuster and he said its a $5,000 job but it was not going to be totaled since it didn't meet the the requirements in terms of cost vs value of the car.

I obtained information from two body shops (mines and geico's) and they said the repair can be done safely. I'm still concerned about that bar being bent but they say its replaceable (I'm trying to find diagrams to see if its even true)

at least I got the whole process started, lets see what happens now.
When dealing with certain insurance companies, sometimes it's better to let your insurance handle the claim and then let them go after the cheapo/cut-rate liable insurance company for reimbursement. Sometimes it's the only way to get a decent repair. That's what I did when my Accord was rear-ended back in 2011 and the at-fault party's Progressive insurance kept trying to screw me on the repair. I also have GEICO insurance.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #17
gabriel2012

Did some research and it appears the rear frame assembly is modular and some of the components can be replaced.

Some of the parts I found on the estimate are:
passenger side rail (bent bar in the pic) P# 5761552907
rear crossmember p# 5760652171
rear body panel 5830752471
Old 08-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #18
gabriel2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
When dealing with certain insurance companies, sometimes it's better to let your insurance handle the claim and then let them go after the cheapo/cut-rate liable insurance company for reimbursement. Sometimes it's the only way to get a decent repair. That's what I did when my Accord was rear-ended back in 2011 and the at-fault party's Progressive insurance kept trying to screw me on the repair. I also have GEICO insurance.
Totally agree, I called GEICO at 7am this morning while visiting the chiropractor and by 12PM I got a call from the adjuster saying my estimate was ready and they were going to repair it in the next two weeks. I've always thought about going with cheap companies to save money but after this I'm sticking with GEICO.

Even though an accident sucks, at least they treat you with respect and throw all the options on the table. The adjuster was really nice and helpful, I'll be sure to give him a good rating if I ever get a survey.