Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
New bike - electric!

Always tinkering with some new idea. This is a pretty fun ride. 500w 36v 12aH, FWD electric bike. Thanks to John Kuchta for the excellent fabrication work.

Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Lazy! Lol

Does it have regenerative braking :-P

Looks pretty sweet all joking aside.
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
Does it have regenerative braking :-P
Given that the motors are directly in the wheel it looks like it should be quite easy to make some sort of diode bridge and redirect the counter electromotive force generated on negative acceleration back to the battery through an AC/DC converter(might be a little redundant since the bridge can do the same thing) and recharge the battery.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
oes it have regenerative braking :-P
Nope. That would require more electronics. i'm not that far along yet. It's got about a 20 mile range as is, and that's with regular SLA batteries.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Nope. That would require more electronics. i'm not that far along yet. It's got about a 20 mile range as is, and that's with regular SLA batteries.
um....i already gave a brief explanation of how to do it so yea, now you have to figure out the details :P
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Old 06-16-2013, 12:39 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ Thanks
Old 06-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #7
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Sweet but where are the brakes?
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ Coaster brake.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Time for some super caps (like the 4 lb pack I am running in Crashy2, in place of the OEM battery), instead of the SLA for some serious weight savings, and the easy ability to do regenerative braking.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Nah pickup a bunch LiPOFe4 cells and make a nice battery pack.

I've been tempted to make a battery pack out of a bunch of leftover A123 cells I have. Nothing like 100+ cells sitting around to make you think of the possibilities.

Garm if you cut the power to the electric motor it should work as a pretty decent generator(DC) and a semi functional brake as well.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

The kit will support up to 60v, which means I'm just getting started at 36v. Might try bumping it up to 48v first.

Range extension will be a future project, right now 20 miles gets me back and forth to work 3 days in a row without charging. Not bad. And pedaling extends the range greatly.

Fun toy!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

what is the generating out put of the electric motor?
Old 06-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

post #1:

Quote:
500w 36v 12aH
Old 06-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

i see, that should be enough to daily commute as long as you don't have any steep hills, then it gets all leg power. 12aH seems kind of low for rapid recharging, might have to amplify the out put to get the best benefit out of it.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #15
kou

Drives: 08 lb
This for getting to work on time even when your a day late.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flux_Flash1.jpg (61.6 KB, 31 views)
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp

Hey Garm,

Cool bike! That's perfect for semi level Valley transportation. What size are your rims? Large reductions in rolling resistance can be had with light tires which are rated at high air pressure. Bikes are similar to cars in that one ounce of reduced rolling weight is equal to about 9 ounces of static weight. Weight reducing alloy components can also really add up, like handlebars, rims, seats and seat posts.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ 26" wheels with "Thick Brick" tires. This one is fine for my 3 mile commute to work. I have a few small things to do (rear rack, etc.)

My next one will be an ultralight carbon eBike.