Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #19
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
tax by engine size.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #20
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
It seems to me that a gas tax to maintain roads, etc is the only fair way to insure that those who use it the most pays, No it's not perfect but, what is a better way?

Enter electric cars and it gets unfair to the gas cars owners ........

So, how do you make it fair (fairer) again?
Anyone got a good, serious idea that is better than a "tax" which would probably be much lower than if they had to pay the gas tax for miles actually driven?
Someone has to pay for the roads etc .

There's a growing problem in this country where everyone wants this and that but, no one wants to pay for it anymore.
It's about time we come down to reality .

BTW, electric car owners have been conned into believing that they would get somewhat of a free ride for the most part. Granted, they have their advantages but no one gets free ride.

Last edited by RedRide; 07-03-2013 at 01:37 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #21
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
It seems to me that a gas tax to maintain roads, etc is the only fair way to insure that those who use it the most pays, No it's not perfect but, what is a better way?

Think about that for a second....

How many miles do you drive a week?

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #22
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Tax by weight. Done.
I agree. After aligning the environment with a lowest possible cost structure, this is the fairest next step.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #23
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
There's a growing problem in this country where everyone wants this and that but, no one wants to pay for it anymore.
It's about time we come down to reality .
Part of the problem is there are quite a few people who do a lot of 'wanting' but not a lot of paying. Quite a few of the people who are the payers are saying I don't want to pay for this and that but also don't give me this and that. either....saying 'I'm fine, I'll take care of myself'. Reality should be government entities that are operating at the lowest possible cost structure. Once the lowest possible cost structure is in place and has been tweaked, THEN talk about ways to increase revenue IF AT THAT POINT such a step is still needed.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #24
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
How about eliminating tax on gasoline/diesel, and adding a registration tax based on miles driven per year x weight of vehicle (heavier vehicles doing more damage to roads).
Old 06-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath1812 View Post
How about eliminating tax on gasoline/diesel, and adding a registration tax based on miles driven per year x weight of vehicle (heavier vehicles doing more damage to roads).
Because it's an invasion of privacy (IMO). It's none of the federal government's business how many miles I drive per year. it's only my insurance company's businessI I don't think it is the State of Texas' business how many miles I drive per year either, but if I don't like it I can always move to another state that doesn't have state inspections. If I had to provide that information to the federal government......then I obviously could not avoid the 'mileage ID' by moving to another state.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #26
goliath1812

While I do agree on privacy, I also am realistic and know that the government pretty much does what they want when they want these days. The only way to get off of Big Brothers watch is to go completely off the grid, and even then it's hard. Since you are posting on the internet, you must also be not THAT concerned with it, since "they" can watch/track/spy on whatever is deemed necessary.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #27
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
While I do agree on privacy, I also am realistic and know that the government pretty much does what they want when they want these days. The only way to get off of Big Brothers watch is to go completely off the grid, and even then it's hard. Since you are posting on the internet, you must also be not THAT concerned with it, since "they" can watch/track/spy on whatever is deemed necessary.
Although I don't take the pains to do it (as I bought this computer with my name and credit card (to get the miles) and won't give it up (as Apple no longer makes a 17" laptop)), It is pretty easy to be anonymous on the internet with a computer and with a smart phone as long as you just use the smart phone functions and don't make any work or personal calls (for example calling a business to find out their hours would be anonymous if you hadn't purchased anything there, not given that # to them or any other business while making a transaction that IDs you) and don't use an email that identifies you in any way (Although if you take it to the nth degree you're probably right, unless you walked into a public wi-fi location disguised in some way that barred your ID from facial recognition software...but that would be next to impossible to do without raising legitimate red flags.

The only way I currently 'practice what I preach' in this way (so to speak) is with my GPS. I have a Nokia smart phone (I forget the model...I put it in another post) that I have never registered nor activated. I paid cash for it new. The GPS works anyway (a compass like technology I believe...It doesn't work off cell tower info like with most smart phones).
Old 07-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #28
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
Think about that for a second....

How many miles do you drive a week?
If you are suggesting that a "tax" be based on speedometer readings, that would be a bureaucratic nightmare for everyone.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #29
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Especially for me! I drive quite a lot for business.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #30
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
While I do agree on privacy, I also am realistic and know that the government pretty much does what they want when they want these days. .
Yeah now that the Republican Party is going the way of the Whigs pretty soon we'll have people like Bill CLinton who can screw everything on two legs while in office and get away with it and Barack Obama who isnt responsible for ANYTHING that happens in his administration.

RIght now if youre a black gay woman you got a pretty good shot at the White House come 2016.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #31
goliath1812

I still have hope for the Libertarian party. Gary Johnson just makes too much sense sometimes.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #32
RedRide

Hey guys, please keep the partisan politics out of this.
Why must some always resort to partisan politics even when not related to the subject at hand?

It seems that some have trouble distinguishing real life/politics from a football game as they root for their favorite politician as if it was their favorite football player no matter how many times he has been sacked or on the DL.

Before anybody says, it, it's not any politician's fault that we have to stop at every red light and, the devaluation of the dollar is not George Washington's fault.

The roads are used by everybody no matter what their economic or political background may be.

Last edited by RedRide; 07-04-2013 at 11:49 AM.