Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #19
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I just don't understand how you can't love the fact that a 4 passenger car has 7 cup holders.. what's not to love about that?
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I just hit 1000 miles and am coming up on two months of owning it. So far I am still mighty happy with it. Thus far, I haven't run into any disappointments with it. I constantly find myself taking things apart on it and marveling at how well it is designed for serviceability.

This weekend I got to drive it in snow for the first time (with its stock Eagle LS tires). I was pleasantly surprised with how well it handled in snow. Sadly, I think it does better than my overpowered and too-wide tired Xterra.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #21
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Daewoo Suzuki Swift; huh? Mine was a 2000 GS two-door hatch; my little Silver Bullet. From the minute I drove it (actually, from the minute I drove the 1997 Geo Metro that I had before this; it's the same car), I loved it...

This one; eh... The Swift's design was absolutely sublime; nothing extra and nothing superfluous. I almost feel like they added the cup holders and bottle holders (notice that you aren't supposed to cross-utilize the two; little signs tell you not to) and coin holders and MP3 jacks and white plastic next to grey plastic just to make you feel you're getting more for your money; feels "busy."

And then little things like the seat belt getting hung up on the seat lever, and what's with the hatchback? I have to unlock it to use it (not so the Swift)? What's with all the little velcro strips? And everything falls out (oh, yeah; I'm supposed to buy the "net" to hold stuff in)? No excuse for this; bad design.

Those of you who love it, all I can say is: obviously you never owned a Swift.

Love my Yaris , and i even test drove a new swift, the yaris is better by far ,
bigger boot , more leg room for back seat passengers,better MPG,
If you hate your yaris so much sell it and go spend the extra $$$ on a smaller swft.

OH as far as the hatch needing to be unlocked , you should have bought your yaris with the power package.
Skimp on price skimp on Quality.

Last edited by 1NZYaris1; 12-09-2008 at 04:51 PM.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #22
lita_g

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Quote:
And then little things like the seat belt getting hung up on the seat lever, and what's with the hatchback? I have to unlock it to use it (not so the Swift)? What's with all the little velcro strips? And everything falls out (oh, yeah; I'm supposed to buy the "net" to hold stuff in)? No excuse for this; bad design.
What's wrong with the hatchback? why wouldn't you have to unlock it to use it? I would feel very insecure if it wasn't locked, then anyone could open it if I was at a stop light or if my car was parked. I've also only noticed 2 velcro strips, for that thing that hangs in the back, which I removed and put in a closet at home because I don't see a use for it, are there any more strips?
lita_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #23
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Daewoo Suzuki Swift; huh? Mine was a 2000 GS two-door hatch; my little Silver Bullet. From the minute I drove it (actually, from the minute I drove the 1997 Geo Metro that I had before this; it's the same car), I loved it...

This one; eh... The Swift's design was absolutely sublime; nothing extra and nothing superfluous. I almost feel like they added the cup holders and bottle holders (notice that you aren't supposed to cross-utilize the two; little signs tell you not to) and coin holders and MP3 jacks and white plastic next to grey plastic just to make you feel you're getting more for your money; feels "busy."

Those of you who love it, all I can say is: obviously you never owned a Swift.

I did own a swift... like i said (if you actually read what i said earlier) i used to have a 93 swift sedan before my yaris sedan. And i can tell you every little detail that i hated about MY swift. But that's not the point....
I would say you just bought the wrong car at the wrong moment.... Your 2000 swift was probably more reliable than my 93, but this is very relative to many different things... so let's not talk about it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lita_g View Post
What's wrong with the hatchback? why wouldn't you have to unlock it to use it? I would feel very insecure if it wasn't locked, then anyone could open it if I was at a stop light or if my car was parked. I've also only noticed 2 velcro strips, for that thing that hangs in the back, which I removed and put in a closet at home because I don't see a use for it, are there any more strips?
outtahere used to have a 2000 swift.. those hatchbacks has a "trunk release" lever inside.. just like how the yaris sedan is... you pop the trunk like you would "pop" the hood.

I'm surprised that he had no mentioned anything about the center seat belt that hangs from the roof.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #24
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
If I could add my 2 cents for a second.
I have looked for a yaris with the specs i wanted for about a year. It was secondhand, i am the second owner. Yes, it gets from pointA to pointB efficiently, and such. Although I complain that the interior looks cheap, mine came w/o side airbags, and the 2009 HB's look awesome, i should'nt complain. This car replaced my 2004 wrx wagon, and that was my first new car purchase. It was one of those gotta have cars, well for me anyway. Things needed to be replaced, and i have about 45k invested in my wrx including purchase.
It sits at home, driven only a few times a month, including auto-x.
That said, the yaris is a great daily commute car, albeit a no-frills economobile.
But with the few mods i have planned, it should stay with me, until i can find a newer LB.
The biggest concern people should consider is maintenance in the next 4-5 years. How will the yaris hold up, AS a cheap entry level car?

P.S.- I too love suzuki swifts. Just not the POS that they sold here in the US.
anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #25
jinxor

Drives: Yaris 3dr YRS
I love my yaris... .Used to drive a Mitsu Magna before, great car nice pick up, but sucked petrol like there's no tomorow.... But, I love my yaris.... its the best car that I have owned (out of 4 cars... Ford Corsair, Daihatsu Charade, Mitsubishi Magna)... Couldn't have made a better choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
jinxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #26
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I love my yaris... .Used to drive a Mitsu Magna before, great car nice pick up, but sucked petrol like there's no tomorow.... But, I love my yaris.... its the best car that I have owned (out of 4 cars... Ford Corsair, Daihatsu Charade, Mitsubishi Magna)... Couldn't have made a better choice
OHHHH, Daihatsu charade. My "gonna have one day" car!
anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #27
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I love my xB now, after I had my Yaris..... but I would go back to a 5 door in a heart beat!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #28
puetato89
Just call me Ray, better?

Drives: 08 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to puetato89
if i tolr you i hated my yaris, it would be a lie... yeah its has its ups and downs, but you have to learn to appreciate what you have... there is just something about toyotas that other companies dont bring to the table... many people bash this car but this is the only car(stock yaris) that i know that can keep up with a (my friends)90 honda accord with header and intake and still save gas while enjoying the race

puetato89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #29
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
I agree with otterhere about Yaris VS Swift.
I've looked at 2008 Swift (it's called SX4 now) too before I bought 2009 Yaris 5-Door.
Suzuki, Subaru, and Toyota are all sold at the same dealer here.
They offered such a good deal on fully loaded Swift Sedan (MSRP of about $18k) would be almost the same price as 5-Door Yaris with just power package ($15,835).
Yes, much below invoice price... I think it was left over for a long time.
Swift was a lot more stable, firm feeling, quiet, more power, and much better car for the same amount of money.
It had 17" aloy wheels, the cover between the tires and fender (makes big difference on the noise), so many speakers (7 or 8?), and etc.
But I still went with Yaris instead because of the exterior and the interior design, the resale value, and the Toyota reputation.
So, if otterhere doesn't like the design and doesn't care about the brand then, then Suzuki would've been much better car for him.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #30
puetato89
Just call me Ray, better?

Drives: 08 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to puetato89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetzyamis View Post
I agree with otterhere about Yaris VS Swift.
I've looked at 2008 Swift (it's called SX4 now) too before I bought 2009 Yaris 5-Door.
Suzuki, Subaru, and Toyota are all sold at the same dealer here.
They offered such a good deal on fully loaded Swift Sedan (MSRP of about $18k) would be almost the same price as 5-Door Yaris with just power package ($15,835).
Yes, much below invoice price... I think it was left over for a long time.
Swift was a lot more stable, firm feeling, quiet, more power, and much better car for the same amount of money.
It had 17" aloy wheels, the cover between the tires and fender (makes big difference on the noise), so many speakers (7 or 8?), and etc.
But I still went with Yaris instead because of the exterior and the interior design, the resale value, and the Toyota reputation.
So, if otterhere doesn't like the design and doesn't care about the brand then, then Suzuki would've been much better car for him.
+1

puetato89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #31
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
My last ICE car

$12,400. 114MPH top speed. 43 MPG city. 39 MPG highway. Great value easily up-graded in the trouble spots. I've always bought Corrollas in the past so I didn't pick up on the seats short commings on long trips right away. I usually only commute in it but I am going to install racing seats for the occasional gas sipping road trip. Its my 5th new Toyota so I knew what I was getting into.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.

Last edited by metalshark; 12-09-2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: grammer
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:06 PM   #32
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
otterhere, you've done nothing but badmouth the Yaris since joining here. If you don't like it so much, why don't you go trade it in for your beloved Swift?

I like my Yaris. Even with the larger and wider tires I still manage to pull 35 MPG even when regularly driving at 70-80 MPH. It handles nicely and I actually like having the auto. The MP3 jack is one of the coolest things about the car and I am real happy with the foglights I got from kargoboy. I get lots of compliments and it is not uncommon for me to come out of a store and find someone looking at it.

I think the Honda Fits are ugly and you see them all over the place. Same with Civics, the new Beetles and Minis (those last two are chick cars anyway). My bud's Kia Rio just ate its engine, and it's not that old. I see Ford Focii all over the place and they look like they are falling apart.

The Yaris is unique and much like the cars I drive in Europe all the time, so yes, I am very happy with it!
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #33
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Got a little over 5,600 on it right now (gotta take her in for a fluid change soon!) and I love it. I could've spent more for something else, and there's times where I look at other cars and think "Only $2,000 more and I could've gotten that...", but then someone asks me what kind of car it is and what mileage it gets (I get around 34 in town, FLOORING it everywhere, because I'm used to faster cars, heh.) and I remember how much I love it!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #34
JBIZZ

Drives: 2007 Liftback white
I love my Yaris, however, I recently test drove a Mini Cooper S, and was surprised that it had so much more leg room than the Yaris. The Mini S is also ridiculously fast, and has a six speed. Unfortunately it doesn't look as good as the Yaris. If anyone is thinking about spending money on making their Yaris faster, I would highly recommend they test drive the Mini S 1st.
JBIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:13 AM   #35
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
no worse than any other TOYOTAs we've had in the past . So , its a for both the '08 sedan and liftback .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:51 AM   #36
tristan
it's been a while

Drives: 2009 liftback
No complaints from me, I love this car =) except how difficult it is to keep the damn door panels scuff-free lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIPNGAS View Post
I still find myself walking out to the parking lot from, say the grocery store..I'll look up and see my car and think.."what a cute car that is!"....and then it's..wait...that's MY car..lol
Haha, I've been doing that since I got mine!
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote