Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Great Lakes
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-29-2010, 12:29 AM   #19
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
^
UAW is still not going anywhere.

I don't know who here has worked in a union manufacturing environment, but those that have are probably familiar with the union mentality.

Over and over, this mentality demonstrates that it would rather see a plant shut down entirely, and every employee get fired, than to accept any concessions like pay or benefit cuts.

This happens over and over again in many different industries. I've seen it myself, several years ago in a non-auto union manufacturing plant that I was working at. Union mentality was in full force there, so ... plant got shut down and all the jobs sent to Mexico.

The thing is though, even with how bad things have been, it's not nearly bad enough to shake loose the UAW. The Big 3 are already showing signs of recovery, they closed less dealerships than projected, and there's already optimism to get out of this.

UAW is still going to be around for a WHILE yet...
Old 07-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #20
Steveh27

Drives: 2010 3dr hatchback auto red
RH08

Well, I've done 1 1/2 mods. I did the adjustable wiper stalk install with CTScott's great advice. SWEET! Can't wait for it to rain.

Also debadged the Toyota badge to see how it looks with just the Yaris badge. Out of balance so I'm going to remove it next.

Steve
Steveh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #21
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHatch08 View Post
^
UAW is still not going anywhere.

I don't know who here has worked in a union manufacturing environment, but those that have are probably familiar with the union mentality.

Over and over, this mentality demonstrates that it would rather see a plant shut down entirely, and every employee get fired, than to accept any concessions like pay or benefit cuts.

This happens over and over again in many different industries. I've seen it myself, several years ago in a non-auto union manufacturing plant that I was working at. Union mentality was in full force there, so ... plant got shut down and all the jobs sent to Mexico.

The thing is though, even with how bad things have been, it's not nearly bad enough to shake loose the UAW. The Big 3 are already showing signs of recovery, they closed less dealerships than projected, and there's already optimism to get out of this.

UAW is still going to be around for a WHILE yet...
what a coincidence! we're experiencing a similar situation right now in indy:

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...rkers-defy-UAW

in this case, the local is defying uaw's request to negotiate with a potential buyer. they will not take a pay-cut and any loss of benefits at the expense of a major plant shutting-down in our city. we will lose millions in property taxes and income taxes from the workers(our state is already hurting from rising unemployment). the workers feel that there shouldn't be a problem relocating to other plants in the region due to a shortage of workers now that gm is starting to turn things around.

i do feel bad for the workers who are being asked to take a 50% pay-cut, but the local won't even put it up for a vote!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #22
Steveh27

Drives: 2010 3dr hatchback auto red
Done

Well I debadged the Yaris badge & it does look nice.

Steveh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #23
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveh27 View Post

best cheap mod out there! now i'm just waiting for garm's toyota-skull emblem to REALLY throw people!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #24
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
what a coincidence! we're experiencing a similar situation right now in indy:

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...rkers-defy-UAW

in this case, the local is defying uaw's request to negotiate with a potential buyer. they will not take a pay-cut and any loss of benefits at the expense of a major plant shutting-down in our city. we will lose millions in property taxes and income taxes from the workers(our state is already hurting from rising unemployment). the workers feel that there shouldn't be a problem relocating to other plants in the region due to a shortage of workers now that gm is starting to turn things around.

i do feel bad for the workers who are being asked to take a 50% pay-cut, but the local won't even put it up for a vote!
A 50% cut is pretty hard to swallow. A lot of times it's much less than that, and still there's very little willingness to negotiate.

It's unfortunate because it happens over and over again, and ultimately hurts the average working person who just wants to live a normal life and be able to pay their bills.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #25
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveh27 View Post

Good stuff.

If you have a similar experience to mine, you'll see some confused looks, some you may notice in your rearview mirror.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #26
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

4th of July - Shocking Incident

I saw a carbon copy of my car for the first time today. This does not happen in MI, where any Yaris is a rare bird.

The female driver waved to me, and I waved back.

She was probably thinking the same thing I was: "You don't see that around here very often!"
Old 07-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #27
daddyo

Drives: yaris 3 door
I'm west of Detroit. I usually see a Yaris every day, sometimes two a day, and almost never the same one. I wave or whatever; They DON'T and what a shame- If you're not in a Yaris or a Prius around here you are in a big 3 Mexican/Canadian truck or SUV. It's a little intimidating.
daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #28
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

I really don't see very many.

There is a black 3 door in my apartment complex, but other than that it's rare to see them.