Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
magoo_lc1

Drives: honda civic hatch
Negative reviews?

Almost everything ive read on the yaris has been negative. What gives? Is the whole import world stuck on the fit so much that dont think toyota can make a good car to compete against it. I was at a buddies house and he had a stuper street. Thats not a typo and they dogged everything about it. It barely has enough power to get out of its own way, and the a/c was adequate at best.

The funny thing is ive read in another one of their issues how much they loved the fit and the power is not really different. Makes me not want to even consider one. As terrible of a magazine as it is the companies read crap like that and so does the aftermarket. I would hate to pick one up and find out there is very little support for it in the aftermarket. Just a rant.

The influence of peers on individual behavior illustrates the seductive power of conformity

And, I don't mind at all being looked down upon by purists. Indeed I don't mind at all being looked down upon by those whom I do not look up to at
magoo_lc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Honda has their hands down the pockets of every auto magazine around... make no mistake about it.

The Fit is a little nicer and a little pricier, but for all intents and purposes they're the same car. Don't but into the hype.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
I'm sorry, but the Fit is also way uglier (IMO!)... it looks like a mini-minivan!!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
magoo_lc1

Yeah i understand about the media thing. I still cant decide if i want one. I wont buy until late spring. I amd looking at the honda ep3 to...used of course but about 60 more hp. Ill just have to wait and see i guess what i decide.

The influence of peers on individual behavior illustrates the seductive power of conformity

And, I don't mind at all being looked down upon by purists. Indeed I don't mind at all being looked down upon by those whom I do not look up to at
Old 02-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Most of us looked at both and guess which we liked better?
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5
I like the Fit (and only think it looks like a Minvan in its non-Sport version). It's got more room for people, better configurability for stuff and feels more flat in the corners.

I also like the Yaris. Its styling is closer to the Euro urban cars that I love, feels livlier right off the line, has enough room for all the stuff and people I'm likely to carry and cost about $2500 less than the only Fit in town on the day I was buying.
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #7
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
the back of the Fit reminds me of a Suzuki. Personally the styling is better. Besides the fact that I wouldn't be caught dead in a Honda (unless its a TSX or S2000), the motor fits the Yaris fine (and I drove an xB and hated it).

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Yeaahhh, it looks like the Aero.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
St_G

Meh, not much more than the Yaris does, really. To me, the Fit (Sport) is a ver nice looking modern Japanese take on a hatchback and th Yaris (LB) is a very nice looking European take on the same thing. And neither look as shapelessly bland or as cheap as the Aero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Yeaahhh, it looks like the Aero.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #10
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Its funny how most not all magazines rag on Toyota products but yet they are the sales leader in most segement or Toyota's sales increase. Like the Yaris is a strong seller of course gas prices help but still, they rag on the Camry yet it is the biggest selling car in N/A as far as mid-size. I also notice there is a cultural bias as well. Meaning European and American magazines have different approaches to certain cars. Europeans are more welcoming of smaller cars and the Americans are more warming to bigger cars, GENERALLY speaking. The ECHO was obviously a "flop" in the U.S. but most owners (myself) included love it! While American magazines (most) ragged on it so much, sure its not the best looking car but its got its quirks. Stupid magazines said the Yaris sedan wasn't sporty enough. Sporty enough!?! WTF!! Its an ECONO car Dumbasses! Sorry I'm starting to get emotional, I better stop! So take things with a fine grain of salt. Obviously we all have our biases.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
St_G

Motor Trend named the 07 Camry their car of the year.

Car & driver, though, really doesn't seem to like Toyotas very much. They almost univwersally seem to find them boring. Honestly, I kinda agree with them. While I thinkt eh Tacoma, Tundra and RAV-4 stand up pretty well to their competitors, the Yaris is the only Toyota built in the past few years that I would actually be willing to buy.

Of course, I find the Civics and Accords of the world painfully dull, too, where C&D drools all over those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000 View Post
they rag on the Camry
Old 02-06-2007, 10:12 PM   #12
Bretsuaz

Drives: Yaris sedan
I get Car and Driver, Road and Track, Autoweek, and Motor Trend. It becomes clear very quickly who doesn't like Toyota. I think we will see more and more of this as Toyota moves ever so quickly towards being the number one manufacturer in the world.
Bretsuaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:27 PM   #13
magoo_lc1

Dont get me wrong im not hating on the brand. I converted my retired teamster father into buying a new corolla 10 years ago and have been drving toyotas longer then some of our forum members have been alive. To give away my age i bought a ae86 new. I love quirky hatchbacks. Thats kind of unheard of for americans but i always have. I have owned rabbits,golfs,sciroccos, suzuki swift gt and many more. Im alos 6 foot 2 and 290 lbs..lol. Im looking at the 02-05 si because of the price on these are fantastic. I have seen a 05, the last year made with only 20k on it for 13000. That comes stock with very sporty interior a K motor albeit the slow one, a power moonroof and all kinds of options and aftermarket.

Something keeps drawing me back to the little yaris. If i buy one ill buy my wife a s as well. I want the car for a dd because i have a honda hatch now im going to restore that belonged to my grandfather. That will be my fast car so speed is not my deciding factor. I like the underdog as well. If i can find a company that will ship me the burnout bumper for a good price i will probaly snatch up the yaris and throw some ssr professor or some enkei rpo-1 i have laying around. Thanks for the input.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:35 AM   #14
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Why does it seem people are either Honda lovers OR Toyota lovers? Never both. I have a new Yaris and my wife has a new Civic and we love them each in their own special way.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:33 AM   #15
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Why does it seem people are either Honda lovers OR Toyota lovers? Never both. I have a new Yaris and my wife has a new Civic and we love them each in their own special way.
usually cuz they market to different crowds. hondas are definitely more sport oriented, whereas toyota aims for a more comfort/refinement kind of crowd. it even follows their flagship brands, lexus and acura. acuras are sporty as hell (tsx, TL), while lexus' are sooo damn comfy. from my personal experience, we all start off as honda owners (teenage ricers), and slowly develop into toyota owners (camry, anyone??). the wifey and i went from owning a civic and legend, to a sienna and yaris! there was absolutely nothing wrong with our hondas/acuras. they were actually really great cars! but as we got older, refinement is something that begins to outweigh 0-60 times and lateral g stats. IMO, you really cant go wrong with either honda or toyota. it just depends on what you're looking for.

--B

ps:chose the sienna since its as quiet as a lexus and has automatic everything, despite the fact the odyssey drove like a sporty car instead of a minivan. odyssey was loud as hell at highway speeds. chose the yaris over the fit since the fit does look like a mini-minivan, and we already have a minivan. plus, on fitfreak forums, people were unanimous that the automatic fits were getting terrible mileage (27ish), and the wifey needs an auto. currently, she's averaging 37mpg!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:08 AM   #16
magoo_lc1

Ive actually owned one of all the big japanese brands. If i buy the yaris i will have a honda, toyota and a nissan so im not biased..lol. They all have their positives and negatives.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #17
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Drives: White YRX 5DR Hatchback 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by static808 View Post
usually cuz they market to different crowds. hondas are definitely more sport oriented, whereas toyota aims for a more comfort/refinement kind of crowd. it even follows their flagship brands, lexus and acura. acuras are sporty as hell (tsx, TL), while lexus' are sooo damn comfy. from my personal experience, we all start off as honda owners (teenage ricers), and slowly develop into toyota owners (camry, anyone??). the wifey and i went from owning a civic and legend, to a sienna and yaris! there was absolutely nothing wrong with our hondas/acuras. they were actually really great cars! but as we got older, refinement is something that begins to outweigh 0-60 times and lateral g stats. IMO, you really cant go wrong with either honda or toyota. it just depends on what you're looking for.

--B

ps:chose the sienna since its as quiet as a lexus and has automatic everything, despite the fact the odyssey drove like a sporty car instead of a minivan. odyssey was loud as hell at highway speeds. chose the yaris over the fit since the fit does look like a mini-minivan, and we already have a minivan. plus, on fitfreak forums, people were unanimous that the automatic fits were getting terrible mileage (27ish), and the wifey needs an auto. currently, she's averaging 37mpg!
Agreed......though I only owned my Honda Civic for just over a year and I fried it ~ Now I'm 18......I just want a comfortable, reliable and good to drive car.....Camry.....I love but no money ~ I love the Yaris too......ok.....so I'm 18 and should be still "ricing" my car.....but not after what happened to my Civic.....learnt my lesson and now on the safe/comfy side ~

Jaspie ~
jaspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #18
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo_lc1 View Post
If i can find a company that wi will probaly snatch up the yaris and throw some ssr professor or some enkei rpo-1 i have laying around.
Your taste > many other's tastes (around here at laeast).
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote