Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
crx rebuild

backstory:

A friend I autocross with has a co-worker that has a 91 crx si, bone stock. only aftermarket part is a K&N drop-in air filter. This guy bought it new back in 92 with only 10 miles on it. Currently has 310,000 miles on it. This car is in great shape too. A couple minor issues but nothing that would deter me from ever buying this car if it was offered. So this car has alot of sentimental value with the owner. He heard I used to have a crx and did numerous builds on it. We swapped emails, he checks out my garage, I show him tools previous builds and what I will be working with. After some understanding of what I expect and what he is willing do work with, he drops the car off saturday morning.

The plan:
Basicly the only issue with this car is it drinks 1 qt of oil every 3k miles, and oil leaking from almost every gasket. Also smokes under hard acceleration. Guy only wants OEM parts, and I love replacing parts with OEM parts. The deal is I will pull the motor and work on it, but he has to take the crx out of my driveway because I have a-hole neighbors that like to call the city and slap a giant orange sticker on the windshield saying I have 30 days to prove that this is an operating vehicle or it becomes city property.. yay.. He agrees to this.

The list thus far:
complete gasket rebuild kit
rings
rod bearings
main bearings (if needed)
new clutch w/ bearing
resurface flywheel
lap valves
valve adjustments
new master brake cylinder
new oil pan with plug (original is striped)
new oil pump
new water pump
all belts replaced

think that is it, possible I missed something but dont have the list in front of me.

So dropped of saturday at around 9ish. Got the motor out by 4pm. For an old car everything went abnormally smooth. unlike my other projects, I will actually finish this one and not sell it.

I will be posting pictures as I do the work. I like to send the owner pictures of the stuff I am doing so he knows he is getting new parts and its being done right!

now for the eye candy, sorry for the blue tint on the first couple, didnt know my camera was set that way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1001.JPG (238.1 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1002.JPG (215.7 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1003.JPG (248.9 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1004.JPG (245.4 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1005.JPG (204.8 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1006.JPG (186.4 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1007.JPG (241.8 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1008.JPG (218.9 KB, 229 views)
Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
ilikerice

brake master cylinder complete. sanded down the bottom and resprayed it with some simi gloss rustolium. looks like new
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1009.JPG (200.3 KB, 218 views)
Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Honduh or not, these are cool lil cars :)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Wait. So is it your car or you're rebuilding it for the owner?
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:18 AM   #5
ilikerice

rebuilding for owner.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Looks like it's begging for a k20 swap ;)
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
ilikerice

he talked about swaps. he said he debated doing a b16 but weighed the pro and cons. We talked about it and he decided that he wanted to keep this car as stock as possible and with nothing but Honda OEM parts. Figures in 15-20 years, this car would be such a rare gem to have in stock, unmolested condition. I can respect his wishes and will take much care in working on this car.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
detroiter

I absolutely agree with that!
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
ilikerice

update with pictures

ok, got the motor semi pulled apart. been just cleaning. these are picture before the cleaning.. just some before pictures.. Just got the head torn apart and will be putting it in the parts cleaner tomorrow.

Showing some pics of how much carbon build up accumulates in a 300k mile motor. Oil fell into the cylinders when I took the spark plugs out. Tube seals were done. All in all, it looks fairly good. no sludge build up. I am impressed how this motor has been holding up.

more pictures tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1010.JPG (247.1 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1011.JPG (233.7 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1012.JPG (247.4 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1013.JPG (250.7 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1014.JPG (291.4 KB, 192 views)
Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #10
detroiter

Nice update!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
did that come with the D15B2 or the D15B7? I had an 88 civic Hatch, same thing except for the ass end of the body. wish i wouldn't have given it away, so much that I could do or have done with it by now.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
ilikerice

Actually this is an si with the d16a6. You are thinking of the hf or dx trim.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

oh yea, silly me, i got excited seeing one in sch good shape :D
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Old 01-29-2013, 04:37 AM   #14
ilikerice

I don't blame you.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Great stuff, I am trying a DIY fixer upper with my Daihatsu Charade.You are a motivator.

Definitely subscribing to this build and learning all I can. :)
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #16
ilikerice

oh shit, Thanks.. didn't know someone was taking tips.. I was just posting things as I go along. I'll be more thorough with my pictures and what I am doing. I'll post special tools I use also.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #17
ilikerice

did a bit of cleaning of the head today.

first is my parts cleaner with all my brushes and soaking containers.

next is a semi clean head.. gotta remove the rest of that gasket, fun

last is a pic of the block.. before the break down. Ill do that friday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1021.JPG (229.5 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1020.JPG (283.4 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1022.JPG (255.8 KB, 154 views)
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #18
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

^ 3rd pic, are those Konig Candys just laying there?!?