Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-17-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
thispecialk

Drives: 370z
might buy a yaris

hi everyone just wanted to get a question answered. i was thinking about getting a yaris for a second vehicle cue to me and my wifes vehicle are gas guzzlers and i was leaning towards the 4dr hatch. in ur guys opinion is the sport package worth it. or should i just stick with the power package? and wat about the vip alarm is that a must? doesnt the vehicle come with an alarm stock? and probably another add on i would like is the fog lights. wats a good price to ask for this car i really dont wanna haggle i just wanna give one price take it or leave it kinda thing
thispecialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
No, the 'S' package is all cosmetic and while it looks good to some, I'd rather customize/mod the car the way I like it. I'd go with a power package, that adds value to the car and is much more convenient (although I've survived fine without it).

As for an alarm, that's your call. If you think there is a good chance your car might be stolen, then it's an option but to be honest they really don't stop a determined thief from taking it. Luckily, the Yaris is not high on the list of regularly stolen vehicles; but it could happen so it's up to you. It does not come stock with one, unless you have the remote entry option.

Lastly, as for price, that's hard to determine without more info. What year is the car? How many miles? What shape is it in? The best thing to do is find comparable models at other dealers and play the prices off against each other. In other words, get one dealer's best price and take it to another one. Use their competition to your advantage.

If you're looking for a used one than private sales are better bets when it comes to price, but then you risk not having the ability to take it back if there's something majorly wrong with it (highly unlikely, but it could happen such as if it's been wrecked).

And you can get fog lights from Garm at MicroImage. He's one of the best sources of parts on here, and there are installation instructions posted in the forum.

Good luck!

Cheers! M2
Old 04-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
It depends on what you want out of that car. If it's just a commuter, then why spend more on it if you don't have to?

In used sales (at least when I was looking), a Yaris is a Yaris. The only noticeable price differential I found was mileage and whether or not it had an automatic transmission.

I ended up picking low mileage vs power amenities. I'm still getting used to not having keyless entry though...

I don't even lock my doors anymore, nor my hatch (work is in an enclosed gated office complex with security). Not recommended, but, that's the way it turned out.
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
tk1971

double post. sorry

Last edited by tk1971; 04-18-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: double post
Old 04-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
thispecialk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
No, the 'S' package is all cosmetic and while it looks good to some, I'd rather customize/mod the car the way I like it. I'd go with a power package, that adds value to the car and is much more convenient (although I've survived fine without it).

As for an alarm, that's your call. If you think there is a good chance your car might be stolen, then it's an option but to be honest they really don't stop a determined thief from taking it. Luckily, the Yaris is not high on the list of regularly stolen vehicles; but it could happen so it's up to you. It does not come stock with one, unless you have the remote entry option.

Lastly, as for price, that's hard to determine without more info. What year is the car? How many miles? What shape is it in? The best thing to do is find comparable models at other dealers and play the prices off against each other. In other words, get one dealer's best price and take it to another one. Use their competition to your advantage.

If you're looking for a used one than private sales are better bets when it comes to price, but then you risk not having the ability to take it back if there's something majorly wrong with it (highly unlikely, but it could happen such as if it's been wrecked).

And you can get fog lights from Garm at MicroImage. He's one of the best sources of parts on here, and there are installation instructions posted in the forum.

Good luck!

Cheers! M2
2011 model brand new i wanna pay lowest price without haggling
Old 04-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
thispecialk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
It depends on what you want out of that car. If it's just a commuter, then why spend more on it if you don't have to?

In used sales (at least when I was looking), a Yaris is a Yaris. The only noticeable price differential I found was mileage and whether or not it had an automatic transmission.

I ended up picking low mileage vs power amenities. I'm still getting used to not having keyless entry though...

I don't even lock my doors anymore, nor my hatch (work is in an enclosed gated office complex with security). Not recommended, but, that's the way it turned out.
is the keyless entry with the vip alarm? or is that a different option
Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
tk1971

VIP sounds like an aftermarket. It may or may not be installed with it connected to the power door locks. Try it to be certain.

My Yaris had a crappy KARR alarm installed, which was really retarded, since my car has manual door locks and the dealer didn't bother installing lock actuators. Imagine unlocking the alarm with the FOB, then having to use the key to unlock the door...
Old 04-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
There's nothing the dealer is going to add that you can't yourself for at least half the price...
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
HYang

Drives: Yaris 2010, sedan
14.9k + taxes/fees= 15.8K

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a new 2010 4dr sedan, 17 miles on odometer, in Delaware, with:
-automatic transmission
-power package
-weather package
-cruise control
-carpeted mats
*My car came with keyless remote entry and an 'engine immobilizer', which isn't an alarm, but an anti-theft feature nonetheless.

$14,900 (with $1000 rebate)
+ taxes and tags (Delaware: $675)
+ $254 document fee
-----------------------
$15,825

Hope this helps!
HYang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:09 AM   #10
thispecialk

koo thnx. is everyone happy with there car how long have u guys had it? i bought that new consumer report magazine today and was reading that the satisfactory of the vehicle people rated below satisfactory.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:54 AM   #11
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thispecialk View Post
koo thnx. is everyone happy with there car how long have u guys had it? i bought that new consumer report magazine today and was reading that the satisfactory of the vehicle people rated below satisfactory.
You can't go by what the CR mag says. It's not realistic in any way shape or form.

If you're looking for a cheap, economical commuter car, the Yaris is perfect for that.

I have a 2009 3dr hatch, power package, cold weather package, manual tranny. I have loved all 49k miles I've put on it since August 2009. (I have a daily commute of 100 miles round trip). I'd have to look at my paperwork, but I'm pretty certain my out the door price was around $15,400.

Several members on this forum have used their Yaris for a family vehicle. I'm actually looking at trading in my Yaris for a larger vehicle in the next couple years because of starting a family, but also because I'll have a heck of a lot less of a commute by then (around 25 miles round trip daily).

It all boils down to what you want the car for.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #12
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thispecialk View Post
koo thnx. is everyone happy with there car how long have u guys had it?
112,000kms on my 09 Yaris. Gone now (lease was over).

It's very plain. You won't love it, but you likely won't hate it either. It's the prefect generic car. The cupholders are in really a awkward place, and the cubbies at the side of the centre console are awkward to use for anything small.

Acceleration is better than the reviews say it is, but the car is loud as all hell. Brakes are good, but the cabin is cheap and collects dust really easily.

If all you need is a way to get from place to place, this car is fine. If you want a more enjoyable drive, with a lot of other amenities, avoid it.
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:05 AM   #13
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
LOVE my Yaris....not worth the price of the Sport Yaris in my humble opinion although standard fog lights would be nice, BUT my Yaris lights are ALOT brighter than my 2009 Honda Fit Sport(2nd Generation) that I was so damn happy to get rid of--piss poor quality,you can tell the difference. Even the Honda mechanic of 19 yrs told me that after working on my car multiple times.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:46 AM   #14
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Buy the base model and self mod it, I got fans with manual windows added everything from toyota and more the cars awesome. Don't regret my dad convincing me to go no ac or power crap.