Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru Steve View Post
the funny thing is, the whiter you go the brighter they are. another lost cause.
brighter the better more visibility... we have some very dark areas in south florida, and i feel with better lighting there is no reason any accidents to occur.

as for everyone thanks for replying.. thats what i wanted to see. i went ahead and ordered with DDMtuning. this is my probably 3rd set i've purchased with them. prices arent ridiculous like some people charge for HIDS, and i got the size i needed H4 with a 55 watt slim ballast. cant wait to get them

Last edited by kimona; 02-27-2012 at 10:16 AM.
CPALK719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #20
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
all kits are teh same output (when the same wattage), its the colour of the light that makes them appear brighter/dimmer

i always tell my customers to aim their headlights down a bit after installing the HID's since all the scattered light will be 3-5 time brighter than it was before...
Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #21
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
I believe the 4300K is actualy the brightest... but color may varies between brands.
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #22
CPALK719

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
all kits are teh same output (when the same wattage), its the colour of the light that makes them appear brighter/dimmer

i always tell my customers to aim their headlights down a bit after installing the HID's since all the scattered light will be 3-5 time brighter than it was before...
while reading the sites info on the 55 watt ballast, it says because of the higher wattage, it would make a say 8k kit look at about 6k, so i put that into consideration.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #23
A1an

Drives: '89 Jetta, '07 Rabbit
HID in a halogen housing is a waste of money and a safety hazzard to others due to the glare. Do it right with a projector lense retrofit or don't do it at all.
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #24
CPALK719

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
HID in a halogen housing is a waste of money and a safety hazzard to others due to the glare. Do it right with a projector lense retrofit or don't do it at all.
once again, who's going to open up their brand new 2012 vehicles headlights to do a retrofit ??? and im sure the guy with his older truck/suv with his 22 inch wheels, and purplish color HIDS really cares about my well being and him blinding me from the back...
Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #25
A1an

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPALK719 View Post
once again, who's going to open up their brand new 2012 vehicles headlights to do a retrofit ??? and im sure the guy with his older truck/suv with his 22 inch wheels, and purplish color HIDS really cares about my well being and him blinding me from the back...
So your justification for doing an incorrect installation and blinding others is by stating someone else does it, so why not you too?

It may look cooler to some but it isn't going to make you see any better. HID lights require a different housing than a halogen bulb to produce a useful beam on the road. This morning I was just beside an Altima with the typical cheap HID install (HID kit in the standard halogen housings). My 89 Jetta with the stock headlamps threw out a better beam on the road than that crap setup in the Altima.

Opening up headlights is very easy. If you take your time the retrofit is somewhat easy as well. In fact, the newer the car is the easier it is to separate the housing since the sealant is still fresh and super pliable. I've done this many times on brand new cars and old cars...it is much easier on a new car.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #26
A1an

www.hidplanet.com
www.theretrofitsource.com

Read, learn, win.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #27
CPALK719

Quote:
So your justification for doing an incorrect installation and blinding others is by stating someone else does it, so why not you too?

It may look cooler to some but it isn't going to make you see any better. HID lights require a different housing than a halogen bulb to produce a useful beam on the road. This morning I was just beside an Altima with the typical cheap HID install (HID kit in the standard halogen housings). My 89 Jetta with the stock headlamps threw out a better beam on the road than that crap setup in the Altima.

Opening up headlights is very easy. If you take your time the retrofit is somewhat easy as well. In fact, the newer the car is the easier it is to separate the housing since the sealant is still fresh and super pliable. I've done this many times on brand new cars and old cars...it is much easier on a new car.
oh i understand the light output is different from a car that has projector headlamps, my evo has projecter lenses i know the diference. there could be a possibility when someone crashes their 2012 and i can buy a used set of headlamps to play with then i might be all for it. at this point no... i appreciate your time and effort, once again i can't justify doing this to my car thats only 3 going on 4 weeks old.

Now that i think about it, i dont believe i seen anyone with a 2012 model to a retrofit and install projector lenses in their car as of yet.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #28
A1an

I leave you with this:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

All we ask is that you do not join the droves of lazy ill informed folks out there putting HID bulbs in their halogen housings in the name of being cool. This is not only a hazzard but a complete waste of money since the useable light you will get will be no better than the halogen bulb you yanked.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #29
CPALK719

Quote:
I leave you with this:

All we ask is that you do not join the droves of lazy ill informed folks out there putting HID bulbs in their halogen housings in the name of being cool. This is not only a hazzard but a complete waste of money since the useable light you will get will be no better than the halogen bulb you yanked.
thank you sir and god bless !!! i keep that in mind
Old 02-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #30
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
Quote:
I leave you with this:

I disagree with this slightly.

The light output is absolutely different and considerably brighter. Now if you go up to like 10k or something stupid like that than yes the glare is gonna be insane and youll be able to see like 5 feet in front of you.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #31
skuzzlebutt5

Drives: '12 Yaris SE Classic Silver AT
So what would be a good non reflective output?
skuzzlebutt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #32
A1an

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5 View Post
I disagree with this slightly.

The light output is absolutely different and considerably brighter. Now if you go up to like 10k or something stupid like that than yes the glare is gonna be insane and youll be able to see like 5 feet in front of you.
The point isn't the light output itself but how the output is being focused via the appropriate lense. I have 20/20 vision but if I decide to wear glasses from someone who is nearly blind I'm obviously going to have issues seeing. Same theory applies here. If I have a fictional bulb that can produce the power of 50 suns but I don't have the correct equipment to focus the light correctly...then what is the point?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #33
CPALK719

Quote:
The point isn't the light output itself but how the output is being focused via the appropriate lense. I have 20/20 vision but if I decide to wear glasses from someone who is nearly blind I'm obviously going to have issues seeing. Same theory applies here. If I have a fictional bulb that can produce the power of 50 suns but I don't have the correct equipment to focus the light correctly...then what is the point?
to be honest bro... i see what your trying to say, but honestly i wont waste money doing this due to the fact that light output is damn near the same. only a perfectionist wants something thats magnified 100 times more. i have a set of HIDS installed to a set of headlights in my honda del sol without projector lenses i get perfectly fine light output.

Question to you Alan.... do you have projector headlamps in your yaris? do you even own a 2012 yaris or are you one of the guys on here with an older gen, just floating around the forums wanting to put your 2 cents into this ??? once again don' take any offense im just curious. If i had an 06-11 yaris i would gladly pop the bumper off and remove and retrofit the headlights with projector lenses, and paint the backhousings black but i dont. i have a 2012 model and i honestly dont plan on ripping my new car apart anytime soon.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #34
skuzzlebutt5

Just quickly...

What's the difference in getting lower output HIDs like 5000k and 6000k compared to those regular halogen headlights that have higher output like Sylvania Zxe or Silver Star which are 4300k and 4100k?

Those higher output halogen headlights, as my research has concluded, has a very low life expectancy. They also cost a good chunk of change as well.

IMO I think that getting lower output HIDs would be more financially sound. Of course I'm going to install it and aim her down but I don't see the point in spending $59.99 for some Zxe and having to replace them every 4-6 months.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #35
CPALK719

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuzzlebutt5 View Post
Just quickly...

What's the difference in getting lower output HIDs like 5000k and 6000k compared to those regular halogen headlights that have higher output like Sylvania Zxe or Silver Star which are 4300k and 4100k?

Those higher output halogen headlights, as my research has concluded, has a very low life expectancy. They also cost a good chunk of change as well.

IMO I think that getting lower output HIDs would be more financially sound. Of course I'm going to install it and aim her down but I don't see the point in spending $59.99 for some Zxe and having to replace them every 4-6 months.
im sure someone's going to try and give you a intellectual and good sounding answer to that question , in my experience and opinion, the regular halogens that try to imitate an HID set, cost a good penny yet don't last as long as HIDS. when buying HIDS they not only look better on a car, but you get better visibility as well as a better longevity. once again thats only coming from someone who has had OEM HIDS and aftermarket set ups in about the last 3 cars i've owned. mind you i still own 2 of the cars that i put HIDS in the past year or so.

Only reason i changed out the set of HIDS i had in my evo, is one of bulbs went out, because they were a cheapy brand kit. other then that if you purchase new set from a reputable HID dealer , you could get quite a few years in with one set.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #36
skuzzlebutt5

Here you go. No HID housing... until they become available. Picture taken with iPhone 4 5MP camera from about 10-12 meters out at about chest level (5').

BEFORE:

AFTER:

WIRING:

Not really any brighter but just a different color, 6000k. There's not much glare either. IMO they're about the same.

Thanks.

Last edited by skuzzlebutt5; 03-09-2012 at 10:53 PM.