Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #55
A1an

Drives: '89 Jetta, '07 Rabbit
So I guess Toyota Corp wouldn't step in to set SE Toyota straight? Sounds like I am not the only person with these sorts of problems.
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #56
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I ended up going half way across the country to get the Yaris I wanted back in 06. Didn't bother me though. I found an awesome dealership that way. They even took me to Red Lobster while the final detailing was being done.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #57
NJ Drive

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Damn, after reading what you went through I should feel privileged that I'm getting my SE tomorrow for invoice. They are so rare in the Northeast with a 5 speed that I had no choice, plus it was white which is my color.

The Sonic does look to be a fine purchase though!
NJ Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #58
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
So I guess Toyota Corp wouldn't step in to set SE Toyota straight? Sounds like I am not the only person with these sorts of problems.
nope they can't. The deal was complete autonomy. They paid to import toyotas to their area at a time when no one though anyone would ever buy a toyota. That gets a ton of respect and leeway.

The only way to get them to change is the pressure of horrible pr.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #59
A1an

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
nope they can't. The deal was complete autonomy. They paid to import toyotas to their area at a time when no one though anyone would ever buy a toyota. That gets a ton of respect and leeway.

The only way to get them to change is the pressure of horrible pr.
That is kind of what I was figuring. Before we ended up with that last dealer we called Toyota since we were having some serious issues getting answers from four other dealers in the area. The call was transfered to SE Toyota whose representatives were complete morons. We actually knew more about the cars than the reps they hired to take calls. They use Toyota.com to answer questions about specs and, at the time, the "build your own" feature still had the old 2011 on it. They kept telling us the 2012 didn't come in a hatchback.

Anywho...the order for the Sonic was finalized on Saturday and they submit it to Chevy on Thursday. The wife is stoked and so am I since I think we are FINALLY through all this stress. Now I just need to clean up my 89 Jetta to get that sold to make room for the new car.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #60
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Quote:
That is kind of what I was figuring. Before we ended up with that last dealer we called Toyota since we were having some serious issues getting answers from four other dealers in the area. The call was transfered to SE Toyota whose representatives were complete morons. We actually knew more about the cars than the reps they hired to take calls. They use Toyota.com to answer questions about specs and, at the time, the "build your own" feature still had the old 2011 on it. They kept telling us the 2012 didn't come in a hatchback.

Anywho...the order for the Sonic was finalized on Saturday and they submit it to Chevy on Thursday. The wife is stoked and so am I since I think we are FINALLY through all this stress. Now I just need to clean up my 89 Jetta to get that sold to make room for the new car.
By all accounts the Sonic (especially the 1.4 turbo and 6-speed manual) is a very worthy competitor to the '12 Yaris. It will be a blast to drive--and much quicker to 60mph!

Excellent choice, mate. Gotta love turbos.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #61
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
so which sonic did you decide on?? hopefully your getting the turbo one. that should be a blast to drive and im sure with a few mods will zip around even better.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #62
A1an

We went with the 1LZ and the 1.4 turbo option. Felt the $700 option was worth it for the extra fun and a better gas mileage over the 1.8.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #63
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Quote:
We went with the 1LZ and the 1.4 turbo option. Felt the $700 option was worth it for the extra fun and a better gas mileage over the 1.8.
A very wise choice, indeed.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #64
A1an

It is going to be tough keeping my petrol head tendencies under control. There is already a tune out for the car for under $500 that yields some very nice results.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #65
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
Quote:
NICE!!!! any pics of the car yet ?
Old 03-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #66
A1an

Not yet. Still have 6-8 weeks to go until it gets here. Dealer submits the order to GM tomorrow.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #67
2o6

Drives: 2007 Liftback
No Mazda 2? I fell in love when I drove one back in 2011. I was just too broke to afford it....

I hate to say this (on a Yaris forum nonetheless, where I OWN a Yaris) but the 2012 Yaris isn't very competitive. Engine are basically the same from the old Echo, as is the transmission. The chassis really isn't all new, it's just pretty much the old Yaris with new sheetmetal. The Sonic's a wonderful car (if a bit expensive and heavy) and you'll have fun with it.

If I were going new, it'd be down to Mazda 2 and Sonic. The Rio also impressed me, but there's no possible way to get a manual transmission and any sort of option (not even power locks!).
2o6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #68
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Drives: 2010 LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
No Mazda 2? I fell in love when I drove one back in 2011. I was just too broke to afford it....

I hate to say this (on a Yaris forum nonetheless, where I OWN a Yaris) but the 2012 Yaris isn't very competitive. Engine are basically the same from the old Echo, as is the transmission. The chassis really isn't all new, it's just pretty much the old Yaris with new sheetmetal. The Sonic's a wonderful car (if a bit expensive and heavy) and you'll have fun with it.

If I were going new, it'd be down to Mazda 2 and Sonic. The Rio also impressed me, but there's no possible way to get a manual transmission and any sort of option (not even power locks!).
Really?! That's crazy! When I was 16 I wanted a Rio *so* bad and that's all they had was manuals. That's funny how things change in 12 years ... lol

Ohhh I loved those cars!

Ohhh, and I wanted the Roxy Echo too! That and the Rio's were "sooooooooooo cuuuuuuuuuuuuuute" I remember telling my dad hahah
Old 03-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #69
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post

Just a couple things:

I think the Yaris is competitive. It's on par with fuel economy, the revised steering (especially on the SE) is outstanding. Keep in mind the vehicle is a lightweight, so no need to add much more power. Also, the 1NZ-FE engine is getting the job done in terms of fuel economy and performance (still within reason among the segment). The new interior is miles ahead of the current Yaris, too. Granted, this is my opinion.

The Mazda2 is a another great choice; I highly enjoyed the one I reviewed. However, the engine is a relic (then again, so is the 1NZ-FE, right?).

I agree with you on the Rio, too. I'd just get the Accent instead if I were going that way.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #70
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
the MotorTrend article rated the sonic very well.

Good luck not modding the sonic. We should have a poll on how many days it is before you do.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #71
skuzzlebutt5

Drives: '12 Yaris SE Classic Silver AT
aw... look who came in 3rd at least it beat out the fit!
skuzzlebutt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #72
A1an

I tried talking her into the new Skyactiv 3 but she wasn't interested. If it were my choice I would be all over the hatchback. Great gas mileage for the size and it is supposedly still a blast to drive.

We didn't really check out the 2 too much. Neat little cars but the car overall didn't really strike a chord with either of us. I'm wondering why Mazda doesn't put the Skyactiv motor in the 2 (or the 5).

Aside from tint and a couple cheap cosmetic things I am sure the Sonic will stay pretty much stock for a while. My wife wants to powdercoat the wheels satin black and I may lower it a tad depending on what comes out. My wife drives like an old lady so modding would be kind of a waste.

Whatever I get next is a different story. Selling the Jetta and the Rabbit so I can get a used 4-door of some sort. Leaning towards a 3-5 year old 2.5l Impreza. Would like a WRX but with gas prices what they are I don't want to have to run premium gas (plus it gets pretty terrible gas mileage anyways). I think with a few minor bolt ons the 2.5 could provide some fun. Plus you can't beat the garble of the boxer exhaust.