Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #19
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Because... it upshifts and downshifts very smoothly and flawlessly... without hunting. Gear ratios and shift points are excellent. 4th gear is great on the highway with the little 1.5L. Gas mileage is outstanding. And, if you're not afraid to really get on the accelerator, its performance will surprise you.
I hear you. When I drive my 07 AT Yaris, one thing that is very different from similar cars with AT is how the tranny shifts up or down only when absolutely needed and not more. Few downshifts when gas pedal is pressed moderately. It actually reminds me old style hydraulic logic AT action when gear depended solely on speed, unless one pressed gas to the max and then it would downshift. I'm thinking this is limiting unnecessary shifts for durability. When I dropped the pan to replace fluid and filter at 66,000 miles, there was little clutch debris in the Yaris AT's pan. Small fraction comparing to Corolla when I did a similar service at 60,000 miles. Now, there are some technologic differences that can additionally account for the debris difference in Yaris:
Throttle by wire
Full flow AT filter
WS synthetic fluid
etc.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #20
compnovo

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I'm new to this forum and figured this would be a good thread to make my first post. Let me get this out of the way up front: I think that 2007 Yaris you're looking at is the wise choice.

I picked up a 2008 Yaris LB (85,000 mi.) three weeks ago after my trusty old '92 Celica GT hit 240k miles and I decided it was time to sell it. The Yaris was very well maintained and came with the Convenience package (plus every option available except the S body trim and leather wheel/shifter cover). We're a Toyota family so I knew I wouldn't be disappointed, and I was right, it is an excellent commuter car.

I had a 2003 Echo for a few years, and while I thought it was the ugliest car Toyota ever built I could never fault its reliability, and I knew that eventually I would get a used Yaris (new anything isn't in our budget). It was either that or another Corolla (my wife is on her second) but the Yaris popped up on craigslist for $6,300 and my mind was made up. This is a fun car to drive, and with the rear seats folded down you can't beat the cargo space for a car this size (I really like how the seats lay flat).
compnovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #21
Type456

Drives: Like the Yaris
Thanks for the move to the right section... only realized I popped this in at random after I posted.
Type456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #22
Type456

Drives: Like the Yaris
Thanks everyone for your input. I went with the Yaris. Picked it up yesterday. Drives like a brand new car, everything's still nice and tight. Very happy with my choice.
Type456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #23
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Old 02-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #24
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
A Yaris 3 door hatchback:

Easiest to get in and out of car on the market.

Sits up high.

No one will steal it.

And best of all!

It comes with CT Scott who knows everything about Yari, how to fix them, how to mod them!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #25
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
^^^^ All true.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:40 PM   #26
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Because... it upshifts and downshifts very smoothly and flawlessly... without hunting. Gear ratios and shift points are excellent. 4th gear is great on the highway with the little 1.5L. Gas mileage is outstanding. And, if you're not afraid to really get on the accelerator, its performance will surprise you.
Does your Yaris have a tach? I don't know if I would have had a markedly different experience driving a 2013 LE 4-speed Auto rental this week, but having a tach would have been nice .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:48 PM   #27
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Easiest to get in and out of car on the market
I agree.

Quote:
And best of all!

It comes with CT Scott who knows everything about Yari, how to fix them, how to mod them!
I've been trying to think of a way to put that sentiment that pays enough/the right 'homage' to Scott. I no longer have to think about it, because you hit the nail on the head.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote