Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-13-2006, 08:08 PM   #37
DonnyRebel
1st Time Toyota Owner

Drives: 2007 Meteorite Yaris Liftback
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy
VW is no threat to any Toyota.
!I agree!
DonnyRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:46 PM   #38
DorytheYaris
aka Eleni

Drives: 10 Yaris LB Auto- Blazing Blue
VW WILL NEVER, EVER compare to Toyota reliability.

Ever.

End of story.
DorytheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:38 PM   #39
Reddington

Drives: 1995 Corolla DX auto
They have standard roadside assistance for a reason. They end up on the side of the road a lot.
Reddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:44 PM   #40
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
only people that'd choose the rabbit over the yaris are people that like driving 3rd world country-built cars..
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:23 PM   #41
Driver

Drives: 07 Yaris silver manual sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensVitz View Post
What do you guys think of the VW Rabbit 2-door?

It starts at $14990 and comes statndard with power EVERYTHING. 10 speaker stereo, 150 hp, cruise control, remote entry, 5 year powertrain and 4-year everything else including 4 years of Roadside assistance STANDARD. These will actually be built in Germany too. Not like the Golf of Mexico... get it? Sorry.

The Yaris with Power Package is going to be near $14000 and still won't have half of those features.

I'm sorry, but I may have to start looking at the Rabbit a little more seriously. The Rabbit is a great looking car. Good milage is nice, but features are nice too.

Ben
Why buy a two door car because it has 10 speakers. I'd rather have my Yaris with 4 doors and 4 speakers, and get 10 more mpg on the highway. I have the winter package and the power package in my 4 door Yaris sedan and Love it.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:25 PM   #42
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Okay, lets do the math.

These are rough numbers... don't post a zillion replies correcting me because your numbers are a bit different. I know this.

Say you drive 15,000 miles in a given year. That is about 40 miles a day.

A Yaris owner would get about 34 MPG average. This means that he/she would use about 440 gallons of gas in a year. At a price of $2.15 a gallon, that is $950.

A Rabbit owner would get about 24 MPG average. This means that he/she would use about 625 gallons of gas in a year. At a price of $2.15 a gallon, that is $1,350.

$400 a year just in gas, and these were conservative numbers.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:38 PM   #43
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
i like them... i would have bought one if they were out at the time. i bought the yaris in april so i had no idea a rabbit was coming. and i needed a car like woah. anyone seen them in person? they look good! im kinda suprised they arent coming out with a diseal version.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:10 PM   #44
Yarii

Drives: n/a
Hopefully a diesel is comming. They're confused between 2008-2009 because the new blutek diesel they get from mercedes failed california/new york emissions by something like 4ppm.

How's that.. Just because the hippy's have too much power in a few states, we all get screwed out of the diesel that would make the rabbit a real competitor for yaris buyers who were on the econo-small/highend-small fence. More choice is always a good thing.
Yarii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:42 PM   #45
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I think the Rabbit is a good buy but not compared to cars like the Yaris, and FIT based on gas and price point. In the past I read some forums and it seems the gas mileage in the Rabbit is like a large SUV (14mpg-22mpg), which is unacceptable for a car in that class or even that small. But otherwise its a good bang for your buck if you were comparing more to to the Corolla, Civic as far as features go. The new GTi is nice, I saw one on the way to work.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:46 PM   #46
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Eshelman View Post
I traded my '99 VW Beetle for the Yaris LB. Loved it the first few years...after that, something was constantly breaking. Service really sucked too...never been so happy to get rid of a car.
I hear this all the time fron VW owners at my shop, VW are only "nice" to have for 2 years or so
Old 12-17-2006, 09:40 PM   #47
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
well, i purchased my 5spd manual stripped down base model Yaris for 10,500 us dollars. so, the rabbit was about 4 grand out of my price range...and i think the yaris looked better anyway. so, i will take my yaris over the rabbit...plus, i wasnt that thrilled with the review i read in sport compact car.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:33 AM   #48
LVAquaman

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
they should get on that, i see about 5 yarises a day now here in canada when i'm out and about, people are buying this car, big time! if vw had something comparable (price and fuel-economy wise), they would probably be selling like hotcakes.

a few days ago i went on a daytrip and i saw 9 yarises! 8 hatches, 1 sedan.

are you guys in the states seeing more on the road now? i was in boston for a week last month and only saw 3 (2 sedans, 1 hatch) and they were all in the city itself, i didnt' see anything smaller than a corrolla on the drive through new york state.

In Vegas I see a Yaris about once every quarter (3 months); this is an Escalade town. I do love the Rabbit! Someone talked about the Polo, I was looking for a Lupo before I found the Yaris. I have a Jetta too, no problems yet, but I am just waiting. Toyota/Honda is the bomb.
LVAquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:06 AM   #49
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Perhaps in the States, you're able to compare the Rabbit vs Yaris. But here in Canada, the Rabbit is noticeably more expensive. I've got a loaded 5dr Yaris Le which is similarly equipped to the base Rabbit (however, the Rabbit gets side airbag and 6-way adjustable seats) and given similar options, the Rabbit is still $4000 more expensive.

If fuel consumption wasn't a priority, I'd still drop the extra $4000 to be in the Rabbit. It's too bad the Rabbit couldn't have the 1.9L turbo diesel, but I here they'll be coming out with a 2.0L diesel which can adhere to the new emission standard. but, I'm leery of all the extra emission devices that's going to be very costly to maintain.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote