Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Yaris TS Talk
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #73
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
off of wikipedia: [2ZR-FE] Output for this engine is rated at 132 hp (98 kW) at 6000 rpm and 128 lb·ft (174 N·m) of torque at 4400 rpm for the Corolla, Matrix, and Vibe and 128 hp and 126 lb ft of torque in the Scion xD.

why is the xD lower rated?
i also wonder how much heavier this engine is...
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #74
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by scape View Post
off of wikipedia: [2ZR-FE] Output for this engine is rated at 132 hp (98 kW) at 6000 rpm and 128 lb·ft (174 N·m) of torque at 4400 rpm for the Corolla, Matrix, and Vibe and 128 hp and 126 lb ft of torque in the Scion xD.

why is the xD lower rated?
i also wonder how much heavier this engine is...
it's just a number to keep the car from outselling the corolla (to the number freaks)

i'd guarantee the output is identical between xD and corolla/matrix.

engine should weigh no more than 30lbs heavier.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #75
scape

answered my own question: from what I found, about 30lbs heavier, just incase anyone was curious, haha
Old 05-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #76
scape

haha beat me too it tamago
Old 05-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #77
Tamago

Quote:
haha beat me too it tamago
and mine was a SWAG lmfao
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #78
aeipee13
DKDC

Drives: Yarlet
The JDM sti cylinders are sleeved. There are lame emissions or engine power laws in Japan where almost every (fast) car on paper is 280 HP via choking the engine with smaller pipping. USDM Sti just has bigger numbers but the motor is not better. Japan wouldn't play themselves like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
car companies do this all the time. every other markets gets the cars as they should be we just get watered down versions low on power or never at all. the exception was the Wrx sti JDM one had like 260-280 hp while the usdm one had 300hp.

As far as why, beats me
aeipee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #79
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeipee13 View Post
The JDM sti cylinders are sleeved. There are lame emissions or engine power laws in Japan where almost every (fast) car on paper is 280 HP via choking the engine with smaller pipping. USDM Sti just has bigger numbers but the motor is not better. Japan wouldn't play themselves like that.
the #'s were like that due to a gentleman's agreement.

the cars put out more power (well some did).

Japan agreed not to get into a Horsepower war. Probably a big reason why they have built small, HP, good emissions motors.

the USDM STi didn't need to comply, and the US Market tends to like bigger motors with more torque.

the 2.5ltr STI motor has inferior heads and turbo to the JDM/EDM 2.0ltr STI.

There are plenty of Tuning Shops in Japan picking up the 2.5ltr block and building it.

the Forester STi in Japan came with the 2.5ltr STI motor we see here in the states.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:32 AM   #80
aeipee13
DKDC

Drives: Yarlet
That makes sense. I thought there was a 280 hp limit on cars though.
aeipee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #81
scape

i thought it was a liter displacement issue in japan, none over 2 liters for passenger cars...
but look at the sr20det engine, that was a phenomenal engine with just 2 liters displacement. out the door on the Silvia it was 217 hp at only 7 psi. too bad that kind of engineering does not usually make it across the pacific...
Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #82
Tamago

Quote:
i thought it was a liter displacement issue in japan, none over 2 liters for passenger cars...
but look at the sr20det engine, that was a phenomenal engine with just 2 liters displacement. out the door on the Silvia it was 217 hp at only 7 psi. too bad that kind of engineering does not usually make it across the pacific...
explain the RB25 then ;)
RB26
1JZGTE
2JZGTE
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #83
scape

touche'
;D

perhaps this is closer to why engines are often small in japan: wikipedia on japan engines in japan: "taxation by classes of displacement plus a vehicle weight tax"

either way, their version of the same cars still rock more ;P
Old 06-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #84
Tamago

.... and they feel the same way about ours
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #85
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeipee13 View Post
That makes sense. I thought there was a 280 hp limit on cars though.
nope, just a paper "limit".

Quote:
there are pretty hefty "fees" for larger displacement motors

Japan also has better gas slightly then we do with a lower sulfur content, another reason the US got shitty engines.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:41 AM   #86
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russelt3hPirate View Post
the #'s were like that due to a gentleman's agreement.
Recently this has been changed, AFAIK, most of the newer and "peppier" (GT-R, etc) cars that Japan is putting out come with a natural speed limiter in them. Making where they cant hit above a preset speed limit, but this is GPS controlled so it will simply turn off in areas that the Gov't has deemed appropriate (race courses).

In quick reference, you can accelerate as fast as you want, technically...even though there are prolly some laws against that, but once you hit a certain top speed, your electronically goverened there.

Note that these conditions are straight from the showroom, you can have a shop remove the device, and it often done to "free" your new monster of a car.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #87
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Japan has always had stupid limiters on the cars 200km/h usually.

the GT-R is not a good car to compare, it's got more gizmos then any other car coming out of Japan.

the Gentleman's agreement was lifted a few years back, but many of them still stay pretty close to the "mark".

it wouldn't make sense for residual values if 2 identical cars only 1 year apart had drastically different "published" HP #'s.

either way, the new R35 GT-R is a huge nanny. haha, if you go to one of the "approved" "race tracks" and don't take it in for service within 72 hrs of doing so your warranty is voided (powertrain anyway). :rofl:
Old 10-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #88
woof

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
There's no way the xD can be the offset to the TS here. When I first closed the door on an xD I immediately wondered: Where did the room go? It felt cramped from the side and closed in unlike the Yaris which is open and airy. Plus the xD is on the same wheelbase as the Yaris hatch and the rear doors mean almost nothng.

I see the xD as a total screw up for Scion.

The xB should have been the CUBE. That is what the xB should have become...a larger, more comfortable ride with a 122 hp 1.8 and CVT. Instead, Toyota copped out with a boxy Camry at a lower price and seriously less MPG. What were they thinking.

I haven't drive a CUBE yet but I will unless Scion gives us something appealing with more MPG and less sheet metal.
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #89
scape

the xB had, if I'm not mistaken, at best 108 hp engine and it upset many owners for lack of any acceleration, I doubt 122 would have made the difference, seeing how they enlarged the dimensions it probably weighed more on the second gen too. perhaps you mean 132, which is their 1.8l engine; and i agree would be a good size i think.
as of now it's got almost as much acceleration as the corolla xrs; that's sad for corolla: which should have had the bumped 2.5l (169 and 179hp i think it is).
Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #90
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
I see the xD as a total screw up for Scion..
no more than the new xB.

deciding that bigger is better is the screwup by scion/toyota..
you nailed it sir.