Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
spektre

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3-door Lift-back
Toyota Care over - Now what?

I almost at 30k miles in my '11 Yaris and I had my last free servicing at 25k.

Should I buy a maintenance plan from my dealer? Extend Toyota Care? Go to a private mechanic?

This is my first car so I'm not sure how strictly the factory maintenance manual needs to be adhered to? And if going to a private mechanic vs. a dealer for servicing makes a big difference to resale?

Any thoughts or suggestions on this (common) issue?

PS. I searched hard for relevant threads (thinking this would be a common problem) but I didn't find any that answered my question.
spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
I'm in the same boat, today I completed 30k oil change without all the extra expenses. After buying oil change plus OEM air and cabin filters. It cost me 90 bucks. I won't do that again. I knew very reliable shop/mechanic owner here, I will just go back to him. After all those free oil changes under Toyota Care I feel like I'm on crack, needing a fix of free oil changes.

Just follow your manual for the next 35k service. Do most of the PM's yourself and find a good mechanic. Toyota dealer service will always be there anyway.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Change your own oil twice a year. Mines never been to the dealer for anything but the leaking water pump and the leaking oil pressure switch. WP under warranty OPS cost me $40.

2009 ~35k miles

Wifes Camry never been there either 108k miles new in 2004.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killchain View Post
I'm in the same boat, today I completed 30k oil change without all the extra expenses. After buying oil change plus OEM air and cabin filters. It cost me 90 bucks. I won't do that again. I knew very reliable shop/mechanic owner here, I will just go back to him. After all those free oil changes under Toyota Care I feel like I'm on crack, needing a fix of free oil changes.

Just follow your manual for the next 35k service. Do most of the PM's yourself and find a good mechanic. Toyota dealer service will always be there anyway.
If you don't mind getting a little dirty, you could knock out your oil change in about 30-45minutes and it'll cost a fraction of the price. A new filter, along with a cabin air filter, should run ~$20. They're real easy to change yourself. I change my air filter and cabin filter once a year while I change my oil every 4k miles. =]
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
just change synthetic oil every 10k miles are you're all good.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
The only thing you have to do for awhile is oil changes. The first time after ToyotaCare I took mine to a TiresPlus store - had a coupon for a synthetic oil change and even though I had an appointment, I was there 3 hours because people buying tires kept cutting in front of me. And it cost $74. Plus they spilled oil all over that black plastic thing.

Last month it was time for another oil change, my dealer sends me coupons and it just happened to be one for an oil change. Done at Toyota this time, it cost only $48. Totally worth it to me because I am not in the mood for doing my own oil changes. Plus they have good espresso at the dealer (free).
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Warranty is over? Time to boost it :)

I've done my own maintenance on mine. I've not had to do anything to it other than change the oil. The Yaris is the easiest vehicle to change the oil in that I've ever worked on.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
you will hear both sides of the coin.

some will say to only worry about oil and checking your tires.

others will say to pull out your maintenance manual and make sure that you not only adhere to, but log the maintenance done at the intervals they tell you to ensure that the various warranties are honored.

I say find yourself a reputable third party shop and stick with them. If you want to learn how to do your own oil changes then great, but if not just don't take it to Walmart or some speed lube shop unless you have it on EXCELLENT word they have good practices...for example they do not torque your lug nuts with air tools, or they shouldn't be using an air tool for the drain plug on the oil pan. Over torquing can cause warping and such which in turn causes possibly big troubles down the road. Just take some time and read up in the Maintenance portion of the forum and read it knowing that you might wanna follow up to be sure someone knows what they are talking about.

Not sure if this helps, but its what I got right off hand.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Transmission fluid (M/T and A/T) is generally recommended to be changed every 30k. And aside from that, you'll really only need to do oil changes (with oil filter) and air filter changes. Also, if you have a cabin/pollen filter, check and change that as needed. If you do all this yourself, you'll save a ton of money. Inspect your spark plugs around 50k-60k (should take em out anyway so that you can put new anti-seize on them). Replace if need be.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
Killchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyzticZ3r0 View Post
If you don't mind getting a little dirty, you could knock out your oil change in about 30-45minutes and it'll cost a fraction of the price. A new filter, along with a cabin air filter, should run ~$20. They're real easy to change yourself. I change my air filter and cabin filter once a year while I change my oil every 4k miles. =]

Sorry, man I can't. I live in a Condo Complex, very strict rules not working on cars on the property.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
MyzticZ3r0

I'm sorry to hear that :-/ No garage huh? Well if you'd like, I can make a video of changing the air filter/cabin air filter to save you some $$$. It literally takes five minutes for both =].
Old 11-01-2013, 02:04 AM   #12
spektre

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3-door Lift-back
Hmmm the consensus seems to be to do oil and filter changes myself.

What about the 25 pt. checks and tire rotations, etc.?
spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:08 AM   #13
Kickyaris09

Drives: 09 yaris blazin blue
so stupid question....how to a make my own thread? lol
Kickyaris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:23 AM   #14
MyzticZ3r0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektre View Post

If you know what to look for, it's simple. Check all fluids, check oil level and color, and look at belts. The belts will need replacing if there are striated marks along them - they're a becoming worn. I don't think I changed my serp. belt until 65,000 miles. OEM spark plugs last an awesome 80-100k miles and I will be replacing mine soon (my car is almost at 80k, but they'll pay for themselves later). As for tire pressure and rotation, I bought my tires at DiscountTire - they check/fill pressure, along with rotating my tires. A good rule of thumb would be to rotate your tires every other oil change.

At the moment, that is all that comes to mind. I am more than positive others will chime in about what to check, but you are the driver. Any noticeable noises or awkwardness with the car should be addressed.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #15
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The serpentine belt on my wifes Camry is 9 years old with 108k miles and is fine!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by spektre View Post

I'm the thriftiest person I know, but I still don't change my own oil. I found a place that is not quite 10 miles from my house and charges an even $20.00 for an oil and filter change (total cost, including tax, etc).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The serpentine belt on my wifes Camry is 9 years old with 108k miles and is fine!
Yep. I didn't have my serpentine belt changed until a bit under 210k. It only started sqealing a few hours before that, IIRC.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #18
Killchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyzticZ3r0 View Post
I'm sorry to hear that :-/ No garage huh? Well if you'd like, I can make a video of changing the air filter/cabin air filter to save you some $$$. It literally takes five minutes for both =].
Thats what is great about this forum, great people making great suggestions.