Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #55
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
I've always liked to keep cars stock looking, just a personal preference. I want to get some 'plain' looking alloy wheels for it eventually, leaning towards the look of the stock 2008 Yaris alloy wheels. I'll get a rear sway bar by next Spring I am sure, would make a nice Christmas present
I also like a simple clean look...

These alloy wheels are replicas of old fashioned 1960's era Panasport racing wheels.

They're the same stock diameter and one inch wider. I went up one tire size while going down one step in aspect ratio (195/60 15) so that the tire diameter remained stock to keep the speedometer and odometer accurate.

I also like to do small subtle exterior personalizations... (TRD logo, blanked reflectors, center exhaust)

tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #56
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Really, that bad at reliability? I wouldn't not buy an American car as I figured maintenance is just a little more, umm, to the T, but wow, 40k-50k and problems started already. Ouch.

Make sure you get good quality LEDs. I've had to replace two of the LEDs I've put into my HVAC controls already (I had some cheap, cheap spare LEDs).
Yep, I fixed so many things on my 2003 Trailblazer over the years...switches, blower fan parts, door seals, throttle body, just got tired of dealing with problems I thought should never had happened in the 1st place.
If you eBay, sell the cheapo ones (LEDs) there for cheap, re-coup some of your $$$
Yes, I will make sure to research here and get some decent quality LED's - I've seen some websites mentioned here. Will start out with dome, map or license plate bulbs, just to see what they look like. I've seen some photos of some crazy-bright reverse light LED's, they looked pretty cool!

Last edited by yougojay; 07-27-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Because I FELT like editing, you got a problem with that???
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #57
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Hey Jay,

Just put WeatherTechs in mine, too. I live in a dusty/muddy rural area and they are so easy to keep clean because there's nothing for the dirt to stick to.

You'll love the handling with a rear sway bar. The TRD bar is especially nice because it doesn't hang down and nicely tucks up into the hollow of the rear suspension cross member.

Tooter, Have always loved your car. Really wanted another white vehicle, but decided on an absolutely red COUPE. I WILL get a rear sway eventually, I want the added improvements in handling, just so up in the air in regards to which one to get. I like the TRD as it's red and hidden, yet the Ultra racing sway bar looks interesting as it is avail. in 19mm & 23mm...thinking I'd like the stiffer one......don't really want to go there yet, confused about it all now I guess. I think I'll make it my 'big' Christmas gift - I need to write Micro Image (Garm I believe?) and see if they'll have the Ultra Racing ones available eventually, or if he knows where to get ahold of one. I guess I have until Christmas
The Weathertech Liners are freaking GREAT! Makes the interior look so custom, I LOVE 'EM!!! Fronts came 7/25, rears came 7/26 - all I did was vac the carpets (like they needed that!) and put the liners down...my gosh, so stoked on these liners!!! I basically live in the Pisgah National Forest, in NW North Carolina. We don't get snow really, and they do not use salt on the roads really (thank you NCDOT!) So, rain water mostly on the mats, but I didn't want to worry about screwing up the carpet at all. These suckers are perfect!
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #58
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I also like a simple clean look...

These alloy wheels are replicas of old fashioned 1960's era Panasport racing wheels.

They're the same stock diameter and one inch wider. I went up one tire size while going down one step in aspect ratio (195/60 15) so that the tire diameter remained stock to keep the speedometer and odometer accurate.

I also like to do small subtle exterior personalizations... (TRD logo, blanked reflectors, center exhaust)
OK, Yeah, those wheels are growing on me, especially with the close-up shots. I like it simple - ESPECIALLY to be able to keep them CLEAN

Example: Spray some friggin' turtle wax express shine on them after a rain storm, and wipe 'em off with a few paper towels, all 4 of them, in less than 5 minutes. I don't want to spray a shitload of chemical crap on them to melt off all the dirt and brake dust (AND finish!) and still have to detail them for a stupid HOUR you get my drift. Sure, a bunch of the rims you see here look so cool, but I live in the real world and want them simple and easy to clean
I understand completely in re: your wheels & tire size - If I find the right rims I want, I will get them & probably wait until I need a new set of tires before I put the new rims on. OR, maybe not! I could find rims & get tires for them, and then run them on the car March - November, then December - February switch over to the stock steelies & good year assurance set I have that came with the car, hee...hee...hee...

Like we have a winter here...oh, decisions...decisions...

That Center Exhaust rocks, really

IS IT REALLY NECESSARY FOR YOU ALL TO GET ME TO SPEND $$$ ON THIS CAR?

Like I have any trouble spending money on my own here...
Old 07-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #59
tooter
play every day

Quote:
IS IT REALLY NECESSARY FOR YOU ALL TO GET ME TO SPEND $$$ ON THIS CAR?
What's what we're here for.
Resistance is futile...

Greg
Old 07-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #60
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Yep, I fixed so many things on my 2003 Trailblazer over the years...switches, blower fan parts, door seals, throttle body, just got tired of dealing with problems I thought should never had happened in the 1st place.
If you eBay, sell the cheapo ones (LEDs) there for cheap, re-coup some of your $$$
Yes, I will make sure to research here and get some decent quality LED's - I've seen some websites mentioned here. Will start out with dome, map or license plate bulbs, just to see what they look like. I've seen some photos of some crazy-bright reverse light LED's, they looked pretty cool!
Ouch, yeah, that's more than what should be failing at that mileage.

Eh, the cheapo ones are my backup LEDs for any projects (not only car related) that require LEDs

V-LEDs is a good place to get LEDs. Pretty decent prices and bright LEDs. Quality is pretty good too. As for reverse LED's, I'd avoid them as you will lose out on A LOT of illumination. You can get the LED license plate frame (will need to be weather-proofed) from V-LEDs tho. Actually on sale right now too.

http://www.vleds.com/lpf/high-power-...me-chrome.html
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #61
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
New record, it took less than 60 seconds
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #62
krolos

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
I'm not sure there is a lot to discuss about a car that seldom fails! If my 07 is an example, lots of things happen in my life, and the last of my worries is my car. It hasn't failed me, it still gets 50-odd mpg, it still handles to about 90% of my abilities, it is still quiet and comfortable. Lemmee see, what else is there to discuss, other than mods...
I get an odd 60 mpg in my yaris
krolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #63
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
I remember a few years back almost every day there is a new thread, and a lot of people responded. Now however it's getting quieter than ever. Maybe people have sold their yaris and move on to something new, but what do you think is the reason?
Maybe those who were enthused about the earlier Yaris have moved on to other car types and the new version of the Yaris just isnt inspiring the passion that it once had, My buddy just bought a new Yaris and i cant quite put my finger on it but its lost something in its appeal.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #64
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Maybe those who were enthused about the earlier Yaris have moved on to other car types and the new version of the Yaris just isnt inspiring the passion that it once had, My buddy just bought a new Yaris and i cant quite put my finger on it but its lost something in its appeal.
Even though I have a 3rd gen, I've always liked the 2nd gens way better. They have more "jellybean" charm.

I haven't been here as much as usual because I've been focusing on developing a product for the Tacoma. But now that it's in production I'll be back here real soon cooking up another idea for the Yaris.

Greg
Old 10-31-2013, 06:29 PM   #65
Nigel8600

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
I for one am grateful for this forum, I just bought my 08 Yaris and the info here is very appreciated for us newbies. :)
Old 10-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #66
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
My 07 just turned 25K. Joined the forum in 07 and will be here for life as this will probably be the last car I buy. People come and go, tastes change. Just hate it when pictures and posts disappear as people move on.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #67
tooter
play every day

This forum is like a hive mind with years of accumulated Yaris wisdom easily accessed by anyone who wants it. I believe this is the wave of the future... constantly growing universally shared repositories of topic specific information.

Greg
Old 11-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #68
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
All we can do is keep pushin on. This is typically the age for a platform when a resurgence can occur as the prices have really dropped into what folks consider more reasonable to pay up front used and then mod. Sure, this isn't only about modding, but really the forums that don't get super stale stem from folks making changes to the original.

It is so funny because I go out into my yard, see my sedan, and it never really strikes me seriously that I purchased June of 06 and it is now November of 13. Just mind blowing. I will be making huge changes over the winter and quite possibly I will be taking the car off the road after next summer. I can say that with how unique my goals are for the platform I am also trying to do things so that the car still has a high usability as well as quality. Some folks might find my final end to the car to be possibly auctioned off years down the line on Mecum or Barrett auctions. That will be the only way that I might recoup any financial injection into the car. Personally, I am not super concerned about it, but I don't want to give the car away either. I really don't think that I could have my son inherit the car as he could never handle what it will become without the maturity needed and he seems to be growing into more of a motorcycle/truck person anyway....only time will tell.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #69
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
My 07 just turned 25K. Joined the forum in 07 and will be here for life as this will probably be the last car I buy. People come and go, tastes change. Just hate it when pictures and posts disappear as people move on.
Wow you are really good for the planet. Truly. In a good way. I intentionally purchased a floorplan that wasn't bigger than I needed (re my house) because I didn't want more 'produced resources' (many of which would not decompose in land fills) assigned to something I was purchasing than were absolutely necessary. However, I would have a very hard time driving as little as you do (and therefore consuming that little fuel in total). I'm too restless.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #70
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
^ Driving helps to keep the connections in the noggin intact .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #71
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
^ Driving helps to keep the connections in the noggin intact .
It's in the blood. My grandfather, then my aunt, then me. All 3 of us, driving = . My grandfather (while I was growing up) would buy a new Lincoln or Cadillac and drive 140,000 miles in 2 years (with only about 10,000 of those miles being trips from home to his office) and then trade the car in and do the same thing again. He did this until he was 85 years old.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #72
bairjo

Well regarding the original topic of this thread, in my opinion, this forum would definitely be less busy and almost boring if it wasn't for the contributions of CTScott. He is unmatched in his knowledge and it would would be a severe blow to this forum should he decide to buy different car and move on. Most of the time the only reason I check Yarisworld out is to see what he added that day. Thank you CTScott for your efforts....
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote