Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #19
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33OH View Post
Yeah, quit posting threads on a forum. It's ridiculous.
I know.

Insane, huh?

Posting a few threads on a forum.

The sad part is that you don't have to reply. That's the beauty of it.

Don't like a thread? Then move along.

And thanks, Ryan:D
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:03 AM   #20
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
lol can i say i saw this comming first LMAO. Did you look up that book i told you about? It can answer most if not all your questions.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:05 AM   #21
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Hope you read what I said about the GT25, its alot more affordable to do that than to drop $1200 on a Garrett turbo. I dunn about you, but not everyone has loads of cash to spend. I know I don't, and I would still like something reliable
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:50 AM   #22
xbgod
Banned

Drives: "Burning It Down GTX2860RS XB"
Yo bro, we know being new with this turbo stuff can be confusing. I understand everyones grief and belive me bro I don't think anyone here is really saying they don't want to hear from you they just want it all in one place to help you. I know lots of questions when doing this It's just hard to answer them all when their in constant new threads. No harm no foul. We all learn from doing, consider this one of those experiences.

And HKS is more because it's out of Japan and considered JDM. It has to be imported.

Your also paying for some name recognition.

Garrett still kicks it's ass...."American Made" and used by far more applications than HKS will ever be used for.

XBG
xbgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #23
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
^ there, god has spoken. LOL

Also consider that when you make a new thread, one has to look on the forum to find the new thread as were when you keep it all in the same post, we get automatic email updates and can respond to it more quickly.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #24
sleey0

Gentlemen. I get it.

I already said I won't post multiple questions and start new threads.

When the time comes closer, I will start my own "sleey0 Turbo Build" thread.

And xb, you sir have been awesome. Some ppl are telling me to buy a $200 turbo.

I don't know bout you but I would rather save for a Garrett. But to each his own!
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 09-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #25
sleey0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
Oh and to answer your question/questions, your best bet for a good reliable turbo is a used one from a good working car if you do not want to purchase new. a kit that was made used a DSM 14b turbo, or in my case I will try to be using the turbo from a Nissan SR20DET engine or a CA18DET engine preferably, both GT25, small for quick spool! These can be had for around $100~$200 and may need a $50 rebuild kit to make it good as new. How can you go wrong huh?
Yeah, I am findning new and used SR20DET turbos but not for $200. lol

I really don't mind spending the extra on the turbo.

It is the HEART of your system.

What happens if your used SR20DET blows or breaks down? I can't have that as my project is also my DD.

I can see buying cheao IC piping, etc. but the turbo I want factory fresh from Garrett.

To each his own, brother.

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 09-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #26
xbgod
Banned

you pay for what you get. Like I've said," if you need to, save up a little more" these are the only three turbos I'd even consider: Garrett, Precision or Turbonetics. All three are good quality and best bang for the buck and are made right here. No JDM hype and extra money to pay for that JDM sterotype.

Greddy dosen't even make their own turbos. They're all made by mitsubishi then Greddy does their thing to them.

you buy what makes you happy and what serves you. However I would never buy a 200.00 stock or Ebay turbo. Thats just me so don't go getting crazy with the we all don't have money to burn.

And real bottom line is if you don't have the extra to play with the right way, then you shouldn't be moding, Cause you won't be able to fix it when it brakes.

XBG
Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #27
sleey0

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgod View Post
And real bottom line is if you don't have the extra to play with the right way, then you shouldn't be moding, Cause you won't be able to fix it when it brakes.

XBG
My reasoning EXACTLY!

Is something goes wrong on xbgods car than no biggie, Fix it in his shop/driveway and be finished.

Something happens to mine, well I am screwed.

That is why I am going to get the best within my budget. If I have to wait a lttle, than so be it!

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 09-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #28
sleey0

The Turbonetics look sweet!

Check this one....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (58.6 KB, 51 views)

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 09-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #29
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ and big, I have that on my tC (2.4L)
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #30
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Quote:
you pay for what you get. Like I've said," if you need to, save up a little more" these are the only three turbos I'd even consider: Garrett, Precision or Turbonetics
IIRC those other two companies are companies that were made by workers who branches off from Garrett.

S13 Black top - Came from 180sx's post 94 (Garrett T25G turbo)
S13 Red top - Came from S13 Silvia and 180sx pre 94 (Garrett T25G turbo)

Used or new turbo, it will be the same thing. Journal vs. ball bearing in an application like this is negligible. It is a mechanical object. Both the new and used turbo internals will both be spinning at crazy speeds. As long as the internals are in good shape and not crazy amounts of shaft play you are good to go. All turbos come with atleast slight shaft play regardless if its fresh out of the box until some oil gets running through.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #31
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgod View Post
you pay for what you get. Like I've said," if you need to, save up a little more" these are the only three turbos I'd even consider: Garrett, Precision or Turbonetics. All three are good quality and best bang for the buck and are made right here. No JDM hype and extra money to pay for that JDM sterotype.

Greddy dosen't even make their own turbos. They're all made by mitsubishi then Greddy does their thing to them.

you buy what makes you happy and what serves you. However I would never buy a 200.00 stock or Ebay turbo. Thats just me so don't go getting crazy with the we all don't have money to burn.

XBG
Yup, never trust mitsubishi turbos, they must absolutely stink. I mean they've only been turbocharging vehicles longer than most people on this forum have been alive. And it isn't like other manufacturers buy turbos from mistubishi directly to use on their cars either...
Old 09-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #32
sleey0

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Yup, never trust mitsubishi turbos, they must absolutely stink. I mean they've only been turbocharging vehicles longer than most people on this forum have been alive. And it isn't like other manufacturers buy turbos from mistubishi directly to use on their cars either...
Sarcasm, I hope?

Cuz Greddy (mitsu) turbos are pretty good. There are better options but they
are decent turbos.

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #33
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
What are you looking for? Mitsu turbos are good so are the KKK turbos. How many vw/audi/porshe with a turbo failure. Garrett turbos seem to be more widely used because they were adopted by the aftermarket which means the flange style used is more common.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #34
sleey0

Zage copied the mits 15G so I hope it aint too bad lol....

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-08-2010, 05:26 AM   #35
xbgod
Banned

XNamerxx is right. The racing aftermarket needed a turbo that would be commonly used and interchangeable. Garrett just happen to be that turbo.

XBG