Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #19
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
the tps sounds like it works.
i found a function in the fic to switch the o2 map to be switchable with boost pressure. now just need to test drive to see how well it works!
it worked sitting in the parking lot, i was able to drop it down to 12.2 at idle.
so it is tunable, now just trial and error to see how well it works.
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #20
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
;)
Old 02-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #21
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
i found a function in the fic to switch the o2 map to be switchable with boost pressure. now just need to test drive to see how well it works!
it worked sitting in the parking lot, i was able to drop it down to 12.2 at idle.
I'm jealous lol. That's exactly what I wanted to do but could never get the O2 skew to work correctly.

Quote:
Right. Yet. You're definitely shortening the life of the motor.

If that weren't so, Toyota would run the motor at that AFR too, and so would everyone else.
Definitely in agreement here, and was going to richen the entire map when the weather warmed up.

I always thought low 15 was safe because in closed loop the mixture would generally run on the leaner side of stoich, and go as lean as 15.4ish frequently. I probably should just be playing it safe rather than trying to squeeze out as much fuel economy as possible...
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #22
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Right. Yet. You're definitely shortening the life of the motor.

If that weren't so, Toyota would run the motor at that AFR too, and so would everyone else.
Toyota does. Stock the cars (Toyota's in general) can run as high as 17:1 AFR while at cruise.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #23
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
I'm jealous lol. That's exactly what I wanted to do but could never get the O2 skew to work correctly.

Definitely in agreement here, and was going to richen the entire map when the weather warmed up.

I always thought low 15 was safe because in closed loop the mixture would generally run on the leaner side of stoich, and go as lean as 15.4ish frequently. I probably should just be playing it safe rather than trying to squeeze out as much fuel economy as possible...
This is what I was saying about the difference between the Yaris ECU and the Echo ECU. The Echo's is way more forgiving if it doesn't see normal values. The Yaris will freak out and correct them.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #24
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Toyota does. Stock the cars (Toyota's in general) can run as high as 17:1 AFR while at cruise.
i dont know where you got you information... but 14.5-15.2 seems to be the norm at cruise. and thats the closed loop setting unless you start tuning that.

at 17 there is a severe loss of power. when we had the bogging issue thats where it was, then the ecu would dump fuel and suddenly it had a ton of power.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #25
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
This is what I was saying about the difference between the Yaris ECU and the Echo ECU. The Echo's is way more forgiving if it doesn't see normal values. The Yaris will freak out and correct them.
I'm just curious as to why you think this? Theoretically, if you're manipulating the AFR sensor's voltage, it can't really correct itself since it's the main method of fueling feedback (and therefore will think that everything is okay).

However, I definitely think the ECU might see continuous low voltage at the AFR sensor and throw a code. More importantly though, it probably would throw the engine into open loop. No one has really tested this method of tuning on the Yaris yet, so I'm just speculating.

Could this be where the Yaris and Echo ECUs differ?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #26
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

For one, the Yaris uses one AFR sensor and one O2 sensor. The Echo uses two O2 sensor, so it's not as smart when it comes to correcting fueling. That's why the Yaris has a better emissions rating than the Echo does.

And about the AFR running as high as 17:1. That's what I was taught at Toyota Canada during a training session a few years ago. It won't be 17:1 under any significant load, it's only under certain conditions like: crusing at 80km/h down a slight grade but you're still on the throttle. There's really no load on the engine, but it's not on DFC either.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #27
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that this is only under certain no-load conditions. Maybe this is what he was describing, but probably not:

Quote:
I'm constantly running 15-15.5 out of boost, sometimes even slightly leaner
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #28
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

All I was getting at is that it's possible to see a really high AFR while driving. As long as it's not under boost
Old 02-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #29
Focus_Sh1ft

Yeah sorry let me clarify... It's inaccurate to say that I'm running at 15-15.5 all the time outside of boost. Whenever I'm cruising I allow it to go that lean because it does seem safe to me since the engine is under a lower load than say, when under acceleration. I only say it seems safe because

1) under very low load the mixture goes as lean as 17-18 (DFCO). So shouldn't it be safe to run a little leaner than stoich at low loads?
2) like I said earlier, if you watch closed loop, it will go as lean as 15.4 WHILE CRUISING. Usually the AFR will hold more around 14.7 while accelerating. I attempted to emulate this behavior:
3) as I do approach a higher load on the engine, I keep the AFR under 15. And really, that's only under low load because I have a linear approach set up that begins when the manifold absolute pressure begins approaching atmosphere (and reaches 11.5 AFR by 5 psi boost).

I definitely am no expert on this, so my tune is largely from what I've read and assumptions like the one's above. My goal was to achieve a safe tune that maximizes full economy. If you guys think I have the wrong idea, please let me know.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #30
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ Hey I was going by what you actually said which was:

Quote:
I'm constantly running 15-15.5 out of boost, sometimes even slightly leaner
Now you are saying:

Quote:
It's inaccurate to say that I'm running at 15-15.5 all the time outside of boost.
So, ok I guess we are good now
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #31
Focus_Sh1ft

Sorry about that

Think about it though. With such a small turbocharger, pretty much anytime you give the engine a decent bit of throttle you're almost immediately entering boost. So really most of the time is either spent cruising or in boost anyways.

The lesson to be learned here is word choice means everything.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #32
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

hehe, onward then!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #33
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Did you getting all sorted out yet?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #34
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Quote:
Did you getting all sorted out yet?
well, the 02 map seems to work intermittently, at -27*C the car doesn't pull to hard, but... when its +5 i was able to keep up to a 350z, man was he shocked!

i need to do some more playing around and find a way to do some better tuning, will still need to do the exhaust, weapon r intake manifold, larger fmic and we have a greddy mbc to bump us up to 7psi.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #35
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru Steve View Post
when its +5 i was able to keep up to a 350z, man was he shocked!
lol what was wrong with the 350Z?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #36
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_vitz View Post
lol what was wrong with the 350Z?
dunno, he had sweet sounding exhaust, car was painted flat black. i know there not that quick but i was expecting him to pull alot harder then what he did.

im gonna email greddy to see if they have a larger turbo that will bolt right into their kit.